Insurance question (similar to "How would you log it?")

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Suppose some hypothetical lucky schmuck and his partner are buying a plane, and the schmuck's ins. co. says he must log 10 dual and 10 solo before carrying passengers. So, schmuck and partner get 10 dual, can partner (who is a current pilot) ride with schmuck while he gets his 10 solo? Of course, ins. co. wants 10 solo so schmuck gets more experience putting the gear down before having the distraction of passengers.

My take: I think the flights would be safer with two schmucks aboard, especially if the right seater has skin in the game with respect to gear ups.

What would be the insurance co.'s take?

Suppose some hypothetical lucky schmuck and his partner are buying a plane, and the schmuck's ins. co. says he must log 10 dual and 10 solo before carrying passengers. So, schmuck and partner get 10 dual, can partner (who is a current pilot) ride with schmuck while he gets his 10 solo? Of course, ins. co. wants 10 solo so pilot gets more experience putting the gear down before having the distraction of passengers.

My take: I think the flights would be safer with two pilots aboard, especially if the right seater has skin in the game with respect to gear ups.

What would be the insurance co.'s take?
Solo is solo. Solo is not two pilots.

But the insurance company would not care as long as you had 10 hours in your logbook after the dual signoff and you said you had been flying solo. And you didn't crash.

Bill I think your estate would be safer with 10 solo, really solo, or that second ten with CFI.

I felt I could make the Mooney do whatever I needed after 10 hours, but I felt mastery did not occur for about 30 hours (the short/slow stuff is DIFFERENT). This is a good time for you guys to get your commercial certificates, too.....

Not that I'm a fan of insurance Cos but if you look at it another way perhaps they want to determine that you can fly the plane all by your lonesome without any help from pax. Otherwise Ken is right solo is solo.

Bill I think your estate would be safer with 10 solo, really solo, or that second ten with CFI.

Noted!

This is a good time for you guys to get your commercial certificates, too.....

I've already called my CFII, might as well have that 10-20hrs ins. requirements count towards something useful... (not that boring holes in the sky isn't useful...)

Bill:

Fly down to Dallas, and some other places and show off your new bird to fellow board members that are drooling!

If you have time, we can take the P-Baron up while you're down this a way and I can demonstrate how it will fly with one engine ROP and one LOP with no yaw!

Best,

Dave

If you crashed with your partner along prior to getting your 10 dual + 10 solo, you probably wouldn't be covered for your liability to your partner. AFaiK, just because he's on the same policy doesn't mean his estate can't collect from the insurance.

Interesting. My insurance company required 25 hours dual before insuring me in the 182RG, but no solo hours. Made a few good trips in that time, but it is a good idea to REALLY get used to the plane while you can. Also, when with an instructor, load the plane to gross and see how much differently it handles than with just you and him. It can be an eye opener.

If you crashed with your partner along prior to getting your 10 dual + 10 solo, you probably wouldn't be covered for your liability to your partner. AFaiK, just because he's on the same policy doesn't mean his estate can't collect from the insurance.

Thanks both Bruce and Lance. I'll abide by their wishes, 10 hrs isn't that much anyway!

Bill:

Fly down to Dallas, and some other places and show off your new bird to fellow board members that are drooling!

If you have time, we can take the P-Baron up while you're down this a way and I can demonstrate how it will fly with one engine ROP and one LOP with no yaw!

I would love to go for a ride in the P-Baron. I'll drop you a PM after we pick up the plane.

I had the same requirements for my checkout. They just don't want to pay for a second casualty in the plane after your 11th hour in type. :)

Log 10 dual, log 10 solo, and you're insured.

Last edited:
Back