Insurance on plane for training

Tommar98

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tommar98
So now that my wife is taking her private training and I'm doing my IFR it's a pretty penny each week. My brother is the CFII so that's helps. Question is whether we could get an arrow for training and whether my wife could even be insured on that for training and at what costs. Anyone ever do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to depend on the carrier and the hull value of the plane. She can definitely be insured. Prices could possibly be as low as $1500 or as upwards of $4000 a year.

It's going to depend on the carrier and the hull value of the plane. She can definitely be insured. Prices could possibly be as low as $1500 or as upwards of $4000 a year.

Any recommendations on carriers? We were looking at around $75k price.

Any recommendations on carriers? We were looking at around $75k price.

I use Aviation Insurance Resources. Usually talk with Victoria.

I use A J Gallagher; they are simply great to deal with. Very straight and up front about everything. Adding a student pilot to my insurance cost me essentially nothing, since I had less than 100 hours in the make & model at the time. We paid a $100 fee to add him as a named pilot. Of course it's not complex or high performance...

So now that my wife is taking her private training and I'm doing my IFR it's a pretty penny each week. My brother is the CFII so that's helps. Question is whether we could get an arrow for training and whether my wife could even be insured on that for training and at what costs. Anyone ever do this?

Yup, the big piggy bank crowd buy, insure and learn to fly in things a lot more exotic than Arrows

+1 on Gallagher. I've used them for 3 years now.

And my friend bought his Arrow and did his Private and Instrument in it. Not a bad option.

Thanks everyone. I'm waiting on quotes just to get ballpark costs for budgeting purposes

@Tommar98 - please read this carefully....your wife being insured on you plane (eg. Arrow) might not go up at all compared to just insuring you (unless an Arrow is complex)!

I did all my training in our 182. I was sweating how much our insurance would increase by adding me as a 0 time student. I went up exactly $0. Yep, not a penny. I asked my wife why since she is the big shot pilot and works in the insurance industry by day. Actually I think its kinda funny.

Sometime back, probably when aviation was in its heyday the men were flying and some of the wives were getting the PPL. Someone must have argued or presented the case (or an actuary got involved) and figured out that the wife would probably be flying with the husband and thus the insurance add should minimal or nil.

I figured it was too good to be true so she finished my sentence "....so I then called the insurance company and asked to talk to the underwriter and they confirmed it."

In our case my wife had all the time and I had none (I guess I am the pilot wife - LOL). But it did not raise our rates at all. Last month we tallied hours and I was at like 135hrs, all HP and nothing else. Our rates did not go up this time either now that I am a low time PPL.

Hell I don't even know the insurance company (even though my $$$ pays the bill). It thinks it under AOPA. I think we are right around $1100/yr for both of us and hull value of either $70K or $80K. Maybe it could be a lot less but she's been with whoever it is for years now so that customer loyalty thing.

@Tommar98 - please read this carefully....your wife being insured on you plane (eg. Arrow) might not go up at all compared to just insuring you (unless an Arrow is complex)!

I did all my training in our 182. I was sweating how much our insurance would increase by adding me as a 0 time student. I went up exactly $0. Yep, not a penny. I asked my wife why since she is the big shot pilot and works in the insurance industry by day. Actually I think its kinda funny.

Sometime back, probably when aviation was in its heyday the men were flying and some of the wives were getting the PPL. Someone must have argued or presented the case (or an actuary got involved) and figured out that the wife would probably be flying with the husband and thus the insurance add should minimal or nil.

I figured it was too good to be true so she finished my sentence "....so I then called the insurance company and asked to talk to the underwriter and they confirmed it."

In our case my wife had all the time and I had none (I guess I am the pilot wife - LOL). But it did not raise our rates at all. Last month we tallied hours and I was at like 135hrs, all HP and nothing else. Our rates did not go up this time either now that I am a low time PPL.

Hell I don't even know the insurance company (even though my $$$ pays the bill). It thinks it under AOPA. I think we are right around $1100/yr for both of us and hull value of either $70K or $80K. Maybe it could be a lot less but she's been with whoever it is for years now so that customer loyalty thing.

Wow - I am awaiting a quote from Gallagher. My brother is CFII, ATP, etc with 3000 hrs and I have about 200. Agent said the insurance would largely be governed by wife's status as a student. Hull value of $80k. I think complex is problem. May have to look at Dakota

Arrow may not be that bad rate wise since it has the gear auto down so you can't forget to lower the gear. At least all the years I flew had it.

Contrarian view to @EdFred's I think the auto down thing would raise the insurance rates. You're more likely to miss it in a check list if it "just happens" than if you have always have to cause it to happen.

Also, I've flown two Arrow's and one Turbo Arrow III that did not have said "auto gear""

Contrarian view to @EdFred's I think the auto down thing would raise the insurance rates. You're more likely to miss it in a check list if it "just happens" than if you have always have to cause it to happen.

Also, I've flown two Arrow's and one Turbo Arrow III that did not have said "auto gear""

I am aware that many arrow pilots turn this feature off since it may cause other issues - usually associated with training

Just a correction: Our insurance is from Avemco.

I just asked my wife and the insurance should be driven by the person with the lowest hours...unless that person is a spouse in which case it would be based on the spouse with the most hours (and thus cheaper). Adding your brother who has his CFII and ATP shouldn't raise your rate but probably won't lower it either.

Could go either way. Didn't have it at all or had it disabled? I know we disabled it during training.

Back