insurance loss of value coverage?

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
A question for insurance people in here.. I know there are some. This is not really related to planes as I am not an owner. More of a car insurance question, but I saw similar discussions here about planes.

Numbers are purely imaginary

Let's say I have a $100K(current value) car and get into an accident that ends up with $20K damages to said car. Airbags deploy, lots of mess, but not enough to total it. Insurance fixes the car. But the car is now worth considerably less than $100K. Carfax will show the accident and nobody will pay that kind of money for this car. I suspect a loss of at least 10K in value, probably more.

So, is insurance responsible for that difference; and if so, how does one go by making them estimate and pay for it?

I've never really thought about this until I read some repair stories here. With airplanes, logs show history and logs(and history) are worth considerable money...But now, cars also show history(carfax) and with car prices going up and up, these things start to matter.

Diminished value at least in Texas is a hard claim to make due to case law...some states it happens...

Back