Insurance for low timer

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
We’ve recently taken on another part owner. Having done this before with one student pilot and one low time guy, we didn’t anticipate the issue we’ve got now. New guy has around 50 hours total… insurance declined him due to low time.it’s a different carrier than we had a few years ago.

What’s the best way to get a low time guy insured? He’s OK with buying his own policy until he hits the 150 TT our insurance wants. We’re also having our agent shop around to different underwriters. Are there any particular companies we or he should be looking at? The airplane in question is an RV-12.

I would call around brokers, I would think insurance should be available. At minimum there would be a certain amount of dual hours and landings to receive prior to flying as PIC.

Yeah, he’s got some transition training planned. He’s flown with a couple of us so far pretty good stick, and the 12 is about the easiest thing to fly I’ve found.

Sounds like you have a broker already so not a lot of options outside of what they find. Hit the ones that direct sell only (Avemco) just to confirm. If your broker is worth their salt, they should have a recommendation for the situation. If not, time for a new broker such as Airspeed.

Avemco was the best option for me when I bought, both price and training requirements. I did switch away this year as now that I have some hours on my plane they were significantly higher than other options.

I third Avemco.

The larger club I was in used them for the 6 planes we had, and I use them now with the sundowner I’m part owner of.

We shopped around from time to time and never left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insurance for a high-timer (hours in a logbook aren’t necessary the criteria)

Back