Insurance costs

Auburn_CFI

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HCS
This is more a question of curiosity than anything else, but I have no idea what GA insurance costs are typically. I was hoping to give a few examples and see if you kind pilots could offer some numbers up.

Cessna 172, 182, 185.

Cessna 180/5 Amphib.

Aviat Husky or Piper Super Cub

Any ideas?

Are you talking personal for for rent (commercial/rental) ?

May cost you a few buck more if you are an Auburn fan!

A 25K C172 or a 300K C172? Amphibian insurance is ballistic, premiums can equal hull value in a handful of years.

There's really no set answer. The insurance companies throw you into a particular category, based on the plane you're flying and a formula that includes number of hours total time, number of hours in category/class, number of hours in type, and number of related hours. There are probably a few other factors, although ironically, age doesn't seem to be one of them. Hull value, however, is a huge part of it. Then you add in variability between company to company. The insurance rates on my Aztec literally were slashed 40% from year 1 to year 2.

Assuming a hull value of <$100k on any of those, I wouldn't expect to pay more than, say $1500 per year, and that's on the high side. The floatplane might be more.

Back