Insurance companies

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have about 600 hours and IR and have been with USAIG for the 4 years that I have owned my Dakota. The suggested premium is up about 10% this year to $1350) so I am considering switching. Via my broker, Global Aerospace and Starr Indemnity are offering much lower premiums.

This is for 1m/100k. 1m smooth is available from Starr (not Global) but I rarely fly with anyone other than my wife.

Any thoughts on these two companies? The premiums are much lower but if I were to have a claim, I don't want it to be a hassle. I'm looking for any first-hand experience with these companies.

no claims experience but have used Global for years, my broker says they are good.

Just a little perspective from an insider here. Starr has been traditionally cheaper than USAIG(industry stalwart), however they are getting CRUSHED with claims this year to the point where they have to farm out their claims handling due to the massive caseload. They could very well raise their rates as well in the near future, because they sure ain't making money with their aviation division. Global is fine, on par with USAIG. But the industry is small, and rates tend to go up and down across the board. I guess it's "pick your poison" and live with it.

We were with Starr for several years, then they significantly raised their premium, so we switched to Global. We had a major claim last year and it was very easy to work with Global.

Thanks. USAIG was nice because they covered my trip to Cuba with no problem. After a big avionics install they didn't want to cover the hull for as much as I would have liked ($10K more would be nice) but I was ok with it. This year however the premium seems to have spiked so I think I'll try Global for a while.

I have a friend in the specialty insurance industry (not aviation though) and he said Global is fine so that is who I went with. My first year I was with QBE and he recommended I switch to Global.

My broker said in the last year most companies have increased rates 10% on the low side. Fewer underwriters thus they can charge what they want.

Starr is fine, I've had them before (via my broker). But you don't really know what you get with any company until you file a claim.

Back