Insurance -- again.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I have an offer to use a 170 for the maintenance of it. What type insurance should I have ? or should I just be a named pilot on the owners liability & hull policy? I have three different aircraft that I am allowed to fly this way, but have not because of this doubt.

Simple...

Named insured. If you can't get that - secure your own non-owner policy.

If you're not named insured - the insurance company will pay the owner for damages caused by your negligence. They'll also defend the owner against liability claims.

however they may attempt to collect their loss from you...and they won't defend or cover liability claims against you.

The best way to protect yourself and the owner:

1) Named pilot on the policy (this ensures the owner is protected) with a waiver of subrogation in your favor (this protects you from the insurance company)
2) Non-owned policy with sufficient liability and hull coverage. Of course, make sure the policy will cover tailwheel, etc.

Simple...

Named insured. If you can't get that - secure your own non-owner policy.

If you're not named insured - the insurance company will pay the owner for damages caused by your negligence. They'll also defend the owner against liability claims.

however they may attempt to collect their loss from you...and they won't defend or cover liability claims against you.

My policy also has an open pilot clause, so being a named insured isn't 100% necessary in every case.

My policy also has an open pilot clause, so being a named insured isn't 100% necessary in every case.
As I understand the open pilot warrantee clause, it will not protect me from subrogation by the insurance company. but will pay the damages to the owner.

not true! yes the owner will be fully covered for hull and liability ,but tom in this case could be subroed for hull damage and would not have liability for damaging property of others or bodily injury to others. named insured is the only way to go .also some think being added as addnl insured will work ,not so as you can be subroed

Good info, didn't know that. Thanks!
I just read that from "who can fly your plane"-section in the policy and assumed it's the same.

Back