insulin pumps

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I'm curious if anyone has any experience with transitioning to the pump from other forms of insulin control. I'm currently using pens and have had my SI since I started flying. I'd like to get better control than I have now and am considering going on a pump.

I'm assuming they would require some kind of downtime until I could prove through a doctor that I've adjusted to the pump. My concern is for how long.

Dr. Bruce might give you information on certification, but he's not an endocrinologist.

Having dealt with my son (now 33) who was diagnosed with diabetes at six months, I can tell you that the modern insulin pumps are a world better both from a convenience situation and for maintaining control than manual glucose readings and injections.

Of course a happy day in his life was when he got a pancreas transplant.

Having done that myself a few years ago, it was pretty simple. Just a matter of fine-tuning the basal and bolus rates/doses over a few days. I don't think I ceased flying for more than a week, although your situation may differ. No specific downtime is required.

Having done that myself a few years ago, it was pretty simple. Just a matter of fine-tuning the basal and bolus rates/doses over a few days. I don't think I ceased flying for more than a week, although your situation may differ. No specific downtime is required.

I agree to the above. My 15-year old daughter transitions from her pump to injections when her competitive cheer season kicks into full gear. All the jumping, flipping, face-planting (they call it 'Eating Mat'), etc. takes a toll on the pumpsite and it tends to pull out. After the competitive season winds down, it's back to the pump so she's not injecting herself near as often...

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with transitioning to the pump from other forms of insulin control. I'm currently using pens and have had my SI since I started flying. I'd like to get better control than I have now and am considering going on a pump.

I'm assuming they would require some kind of downtime until I could prove through a doctor that I've adjusted to the pump. My concern is for how long.

You will find you have much tighter control of your glucose than you did with intermittent boluses.. The pump will work practically as an artificial pancreas, giving you a basal infusion rate under the skin, and you will bolus yourself with meals/snacks. You will still need to check fingersticks from time to time to ensure calibration of the sensor, but you will have much better control.

My non-AME opinion is that this will be a no-brainer for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back