Insulin Dependent 1st Class SI

V1VRV2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
V1VRV2
Anyone here apply for their 1st class SI medical cert for insulin dependent diabetes? I’ve been waiting 5 mo now and nothing but further requests for records yet. Lost my job when I was diagnosed. Waiting to get my SI and get back in the job market. Requirements are very stringent. I don’t know if I could keep my BS in control out on the road where healthy lifestyle and food choices are not always supportive of BS goals. I realize not many people are in the que as this is a new SI for the FAA. Other countries have had it for a decade or more. Would like to hear from anyone who might be in line for an insulin dependent SI and what your experiences are or even any AME’s with experience that may be relevant. Thanks!

I've no useful advice, but if I were 30 years younger, I'd be in the queue, as a long-time holder of the SI for third class, prior to basic med. But I recall reading somewhere not long ago, maybe it was from Dr. Chien, I don't recall, that they had not yet issued even one first class SI, despite having a number of applicants. So I hope the issue is the ever-worsening backlog at FAA aeromedical, not a willful refusal to utilize the SI. It has to be especially frustrating to a revenue airman such as yourself, particularly since, as you note, it's long been resolved favorably in other countries.

Dr. Chien... What was the response time for FAA approval for the 4 cases you submitted? Any denials or are you 4/4. The SI process is a walk down a very dark hallway. There is no hint of what’s to come. No one to call. No initial guidance other than the sheet of items they expect you to submit. For me it’s a process filled with anxiety and waning enthusiasm as time goes by. Can I send you my records I submitted for your opinion? Consider it a consultation? I am looking for some guidance as to what I might expect from the FAA. I don’t want t walk away from this process if there is hope but I have to get on with my life. I need a reason to continue making sacrifices.

Dr. Chien... What was the response time for FAA approval for the 4 cases you submitted? Any denials or are you 4/4. The SI process is a walk down a very dark hallway. There is no hint of what’s to come. No one to call. No initial guidance other than the sheet of items they expect you to submit. For me it’s a process filled with anxiety and waning enthusiasm as time goes by. Can I send you my records I submitted for your opinion? Consider it a consultation? I am looking for some guidance as to what I might expect from the FAA. I don’t want t walk away from this process if there is hope but I have to get on with my life. I need a reason to continue making sacrifices.

My advice is to reach out to Dr Chien through his website http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/ and set up for a consult. The situation is complicated enough that you want a professional consultation that you've paid for, not just Some Guy On the Internet...even if that's the same person.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back