Instrument written questions

97 is a good score, congrats.

I think i've made an 85 on both private and instrument written

Thanks all for the congrats. The score doesn't really matter as long as it's passing. And of course you have to log ground training on your areas of "deficiency".

I wouldn't sweat the power for airspeed vs power for glide path thing. In actual practice it is always both. I was never taught power for airspeed on the ILS though I know that's the IFH recommendation and a lot of CFIIs teach that. I was taught to do whatever it takes.

The FAA recommends PP and IR pilots learn to pitch and power bass ackward?:confused:
PP pilots maintain cruising altitude the same way IR pilots hold a GS--with pitch. Since pitch is controlled by elevator, in both cases the elevator is unavailable for anything else because it's engaged in a higher priority function than airspeed control. If it was available for airspeed, though, it would be super good at controlling it too as long as the direction you point the nose (up or down) doesn't matter.

"Attitude instrument flying" using the "primary and supporting" method is very intuitive, but hard to explain. Here's my shot at it:

dtuuri

Pitch vs power discussions sometimes remind me a lot of Apple vs Andriod. Both work for some and some think the other approach is totally wrong. :wink2:

Here's a pretty good discussion about the two views of the world. No clue how old it is but it's still useful. He says the FAA punted on which approach is "right" so the test question may be one test maker's view vs an "official" FAA position. :dunno:

http://faaflighttest.us/pitchandpower.html

As far as the exam question about the approach no clue how the FAA thinks about it now and if I got a 97 on anything I would be ecstatic. :D

Cheers

As far as the exam question about the approach no clue how the FAA thinks about it now and if I got a 97 on anything I would be ecstatic. :D

Cheers
I'd probably be ecstatic too if it was my first time taking it. Now... it feels more like one step back that I had to take it again.

The one plus in all this is that retaking the written was a good review for my upcoming checkride oral part too. That's assuming I can get it in before I go cold on all of this yet again. Sigh.

A) Perform the required tasks and iterations between January 10 and July 10 of this year in an airplane or approved flight simulator or training device.
B) Perform the required tasks and iterations no earlier than February 10 of this year.
C) Successfully complete an IPC between August 1 of last year and July 1 of this year.

I still wonder if A and B included holding in the "required tasks and iterations" in your paraphrase.

Leaving out holding is the kind of sneaky stuff they do on these tests. And then try to get you to focus on the dates...

"Required tasks and iterations" is NOT a paraphrase. It was the exact wording they used. I'm 100% certain of that -- it jumped out at me because I'd never seen wording like that before in any FAA question.

Someone else who posted in this thread may have seen that question too, or else one very much like it.

Hmm. Interesting. I swear those questions on the version of the test I took were these obnoxiously detailed ones that were trying to be tricky.

Of course, that made them easy to play "odd man out" on them... if you knew the regs.

Most of my replies have been with the assumption that they didn't say that more vague version, and tap hat was the "paraphrase". Heh.

"Required tasks and iterations" is NOT a paraphrase. It was the exact wording they used. I'm 100% certain of that -- it jumped out at me because I'd never seen wording like that before in any FAA question.

Someone else who posted in this thread may have seen that question too, or else one very much like it.
What do they mean when they say "iterations"?

What do they mean when they say "iterations"?
According to Wikipedia, "Iteration means the act of repeating a process usually with the aim of approaching a desired goal or target or result."

I assume they're referring to the fact that you have to fly 6 approaches for currency, not just one. It does seem a peculiar sort of wording, maybe less so if you think of it as honing a skill.

Azure, the written tests are so terrible, outdated, hideously behind, that the agency should be embarassed. Just do what the kids to- well enough to pass.

I'm embarassed to send student to the tests.

I'd probably be ecstatic too if it was my first time taking it. Now... it feels more like one step back that I had to take it again.

The one plus in all this is that retaking the written was a good review for my upcoming checkride oral part too. That's assuming I can get it in before I go cold on all of this yet again. Sigh.

If it makes you feel better I just signed up for a $160 class (and I haven't even bought the books yet). Private Pilot Ground School (prep for the written). I am doing it for review, partly, and partly because I may want to become an FAA certified ground instructor and would like to see first hand how it is currently being taught. Plus I get to talk pilot stuff one night a week after work for 13 weeks.

Kim- Does your ground school have anything to do with self-grounding?:aureola:

I retook my instrument written today. I got two questions wrong for a score of 97%. I'd like to understand why I got them wrong but I can't. One of them I answered correctly according to both King and ASA, and in the other I am pretty sure none of the answers is correct, and told them so in my post-test survey questionnaire.

The glide slope and localizer are centered, but the airspeed is too fast. Which should be adjusted initially?

A) Pitch and power.
B) Power only.
C) Pitch only.

I said B, power only even though in actual practice I would certainly adjust both. But the question said *initially*, and both King and ASA say that at first, only the power should be adjusted. Martha even made a point of saying that this is how the FAA wants you to do it. Apparently they changed their mind. Does anyone know what their current recommendation is?

The other one is not in either the ASA or King database so I'm quoting it from memory and my wording is very much paraphrased I'm sure, and perhaps not even accurate: an instrument rated pilot wishes to operate IFR on July 10 of this year. What condition must be met for him to satisfy the recent experience requirements?

A) Perform the required tasks and iterations between January 10 and July 10 of this year in an airplane or approved flight simulator or training device.
B) Perform the required tasks and iterations no earlier than February 10 of this year.
C) Successfully complete an IPC between August 1 of last year and July 1 of this year.

I contend that none of these MUST be met, though I chose A, reading "required tasks and iterations" to refer to 6HITS, because doing 6HITS after Jan 10 would actually satisfy the recency requirement, and the answer doesn't itself imply something incorrect. But 6HITS on Jan 1 through Jan 9 would also work, since 61.57 says calendar months. Anything in February would work too of course, but there is nothing special about Feb 10 and the answer explicitly said "no earlier than", that much I am very sure of. An IPC would only meet the requirement if it was done Jan 1 or later. But again, the way the question is worded, what MUST be met, an IPC is never really necessary unless your currency lapses for more than 6 months.

Hope someone can explain what is wrong with my thinking here.

Is there the slightest possibility you're overthinking this?

Seems to me the real task is conducting and successfully concluding an instrument flight.

I've never seen a GA NTSB report that mentioned a person's knowledge test score...

You don't count the current month, it's not considered to be "preceding".

Jan- 1 approach
Feb- 1 approach
Mar- 0 approach
Apr- 0 approach
May- 0 approach
June- 0 approach
July- 4 approaches on July 1

If you plan an IFR flight on July 15th, "Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight means"

Jan to June or
Feb to July or
Jan to July

Last edited:
Jan- 1 approach
Feb- 1 approach
Mar- 0 approach
Apr- 0 approach
May- 0 approach
June- 0 approach

If you plan an IFR flight on July 15th, "Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight means"

Jan to June or
Feb to July or
Jan to July

Wow, if you just knew my height, weight and favorite libation, I'd consider paying you to set up my profile on Match.com.

Jan- 1 approach
Feb- 1 approach
Mar- 0 approach
Apr- 0 approach
May- 0 approach
June- 0 approach

Jan to June or
Feb to July or
Jan to July
None of the above.

The first "calendar month preceding" means from the day in July backwards to the first of June. The sixth calendar month preceding ends on the first day of January.

dtuuri

Back