Instrument Written Day

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
After a several months studying the Jepp coursework, flying with a CFII and for the last two weeks drill and kill with the Sheppard Air test prep...

Today is the day. Instrument Rating Airplane written test. Took the first practice test a few days ago and scored a 96.66. Studied the marked questions and got a 98 something (missed one). Just crammed the marked questions again and hit a 60/60. Still a bit nervous since I tend to be a nervous test taker.

After this I need a few more XC hours and then hood time with CFII and I hope to be at checkride by end of June / early July.

This rating has been tougher than the private cert training, but more enjoyable for some reason.

Anyway, wanted to post this up here as a thanks to all the PoA'ers who have posted their success stories, tales of sticking with getting ratings, advice, humor, etc. You all don't know it, but you have helped me out a bunch. So thanks!

After a several months studying the Jepp coursework, flying with a CFII and for the last two weeks drill and kill with the Sheppard Air test prep...

Today is the day. Instrument Rating Airplane written test. Took the first practice test a few days ago and scored a 96.66. Studied the marked questions and got a 98 something (missed one). Just crammed the marked questions again and hit a 60/60. Still a bit nervous since I tend to be a nervous test taker.

After this I need a few more XC hours and then hood time with CFII and I hope to be at checkride by end of June / early July.

This rating has been tougher than the private cert training, but more enjoyable for some reason.

Anyway, wanted to post this up here as a thanks to all the PoA'ers who have posted their success stories, tales of sticking with getting ratings, advice, humor, etc. You all don't know it, but you have helped me out a bunch. So thanks!

98? Whadya do, spell your name wrong.:) Looks like you'll do just fine. Have fun.

I’m about 1 week away from being ready for the written. Started in November. I have about 15 hrs of hood time left to do. Hope you did great!

To those taking it be sure to look at whatever image they refer to and look carefully. Years ago I took the test and was like the answer isn't here. It was I was nervous

Sorry sorry busy weekend.

60/60. Couldn’t believe it when the proctor said, “I think you are gonna like this...”. I thought I missed two for sure.

Sheppard is amazing. For those who want to get past the written and on to finishing up flight lessons and on to check ride, I can’t recommend it enough. I spent about ten days with the Sheppard system and it works. I had gone through t(e Jeppesen guided flight discovery book earlier in the year and pretty much just think about aviation in my spare time, but Sheppard really finished me up for the written.

Now just need to get some more hood time, a bit more XC and finish up with my CFII. Oh, then prepping again for oral and check ride. But at least one milestone down.

then prepping again for oral and check ride.
Have your ACS handy and go through each section making notes about the correct answers and reviewing the cited source materials. Do this as you get your flying done.

It will improve your prep for lessons with your instructor and keep you from having to cram and rush at the end.

Congrats! This is what my CFII is suggesting to do as well. He wants me to go through the ground course (he recommended and I've been using Sporty's) and learn that and talk to him about it and ask questions to learn it, etc. After that, he wants me to just prep for the test to knock it out. I'm planning on doing Sheppard once I'm finished with Sporty's and when I have 2 relatively clear weeks to knock it out.

This has given me the confidence to know that it's a good plan. Awesome job!

I have the Sporty's IR course, as well. Rob Reider is second only to the Kings in terms of smooth voice-overs. All joking aside, that sounds like a great plan. I also have the Jeppesen IR/Commercial guided flight discovery book which I think does a great job with some of the details. Great illustrations and it is very...readable.

I was skeptical of the Sheppard system, but I stuck with it. I followed their study method to the letter and got that score, so highly recommend the same. And their customer service is really good if you have questions.

Another 60/60 using Sheppard. Great program for passing the written, but it is not to be used for in depth knowledge and practical application of the material.

Is it weird that I'm now looking forward to getting the written done??

Is it weird that I'm now looking forward to getting the written done??
Nope!

If you have plans to be a CFI-I, consider taking the FII and AGI knowledge exams immediately after your Instrument knowledge exam. Those two exams pull from the same pool of questions and topics. Doing all three close together is efficient and will make for good scores on the latter two.

Great point. I'm still 9 years out from military retirement and I definitely don't think I have time to be a CFI right now, but I've at least considered the AGI so maybe this is the right time to do it. If I wait 10 years to become a CFI-I I don't mind "re-learning" any book knowledge and prepping for the exam at that time.

Another 60/60 using Sheppard. Great program for passing the written, but it is not to be used for in depth knowledge and practical application of the material.

Congrats! And I couldn't agree more - Sheppard will get you past the written, but you need other courseware or a ground school to really get to know and understand the material.

Back