Instrument Written Day

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by Deelee, May 22, 2020 at 8:02 AM.

1. Deelee

Deelee Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    After a several months studying the Jepp coursework, flying with a CFII and for the last two weeks drill and kill with the Sheppard Air test prep...

Today is the day. Instrument Rating Airplane written test. Took the first practice test a few days ago and scored a 96.66. Studied the marked questions and got a 98 something (missed one). Just crammed the marked questions again and hit a 60/60. Still a bit nervous since I tend to be a nervous test taker.

After this I need a few more XC hours and then hood time with CFII and I hope to be at checkride by end of June / early July.

This rating has been tougher than the private cert training, but more enjoyable for some reason.

Anyway, wanted to post this up here as a thanks to all the PoA'ers who have posted their success stories, tales of sticking with getting ratings, advice, humor, etc. You all don't know it, but you have helped me out a bunch. So thanks!

2. NHWannabe

NHWannabe Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    NHWannabe
  3. Daleandee

Daleandee Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dale Andee
  4. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
  5. PaulS

PaulS Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    How'd you do?

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM
  6. luvflyin

luvflyin Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    98? Whadya do, spell your name wrong.:) Looks like you'll do just fine. Have fun.

7. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    I’m about 1 week away from being ready for the written. Started in November. I have about 15 hrs of hood time left to do. Hope you did great!

8. saracelica

saracelica Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    saracelica
    To those taking it be sure to look at whatever image they refer to and look carefully. Years ago I took the test and was like the answer isn't here. It was I was nervous

9. WannFly

WannFly Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    Soooooo.... what happened ?

10. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
  11. Deelee

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    Sorry sorry busy weekend.

60/60. Couldn’t believe it when the proctor said, “I think you are gonna like this...”. I thought I missed two for sure.

Sheppard is amazing. For those who want to get past the written and on to finishing up flight lessons and on to check ride, I can’t recommend it enough. I spent about ten days with the Sheppard system and it works. I had gone through t(e Jeppesen guided flight discovery book earlier in the year and pretty much just think about aviation in my spare time, but Sheppard really finished me up for the written.

Now just need to get some more hood time, a bit more XC and finish up with my CFII. Oh, then prepping again for oral and check ride. But at least one milestone down.

WannFly, simtech, NHWannabe and 3 others like this.
  12. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    Have your ACS handy and go through each section making notes about the correct answers and reviewing the cited source materials. Do this as you get your flying done.

It will improve your prep for lessons with your instructor and keep you from having to cram and rush at the end.

13. AU_James

AU_James Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    James
    Congrats! This is what my CFII is suggesting to do as well. He wants me to go through the ground course (he recommended and I've been using Sporty's) and learn that and talk to him about it and ask questions to learn it, etc. After that, he wants me to just prep for the test to knock it out. I'm planning on doing Sheppard once I'm finished with Sporty's and when I have 2 relatively clear weeks to knock it out.

This has given me the confidence to know that it's a good plan. Awesome job!

14. Deelee

Display Name:

Display name:
    Deelee
    I have the Sporty's IR course, as well. Rob Reider is second only to the Kings in terms of smooth voice-overs. All joking aside, that sounds like a great plan. I also have the Jeppesen IR/Commercial guided flight discovery book which I think does a great job with some of the details. Great illustrations and it is very...readable.

I was skeptical of the Sheppard system, but I stuck with it. I followed their study method to the letter and got that score, so highly recommend the same. And their customer service is really good if you have questions.