Instrument training without hardly any instruments

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I flew a friend in the R44 to LNS for lunch today. He's ATP and CFII rated in AMEL and RH. After departing LNS he asked me if I wanted to have a little fun and do the VOR A into N99. I thought, why not, I've never tried to fly either helo on instruments.

Now it got interesting because our R44 has only one gyro instrument -- an AI. There is no DG or TC (although our AI has a skid/slip ball). It got more interesting because I've never used the GNS 430 in the ship for anything other than GPS direct.

We got to the VOR ok, I started the procedure turn and realized I had no way to tell if I had a standard turn going (no TC), and that I had to allow for magnetic compass lead/lag (no DG). So the turn was a little ragged, but it worked (sorta). I managed to stay on outbound 056 and found the airport, so I guess that's good news.

The other good news was that my attitude, altitude and speed control were all pretty good. Now, I don't even want to think about IMC in that ship :hairraise: But this was good because it showed me I could control a VFR only helicopter with minimal instruments via instruments if the stuff hit the fan (or the helo hit the IMC). An occasion which I sincerly hope never happens :no:

For you fixed wingers, no hoodwork at all is required for PP-RH, and for CP-RH, there is a requirement, but it doesn't have to be done in a helicopter.

I flew a friend in the R44 to LNS for lunch today. He's ATP and CFII rated in AMEL and RH. After departing LNS he asked me if I wanted to have a little fun and do the VOR A into N99. I thought, why not, I've never tried to fly either helo on instruments.

Now it got interesting because our R44 has only one gyro instrument -- an AI. There is no DG or TC (although our AI has a skid/slip ball). It got more interesting because I've never used the GNS 430 in the ship for anything other than GPS direct.

We got to the VOR ok, I started the procedure turn and realized I had no way to tell if I had a standard turn going (no TC), and that I had to allow for magnetic compass lead/lag (no DG). So the turn was a little ragged, but it worked (sorta). I managed to stay on outbound 056 and found the airport, so I guess that's good news.

The other good news was that my attitude, altitude and speed control were all pretty good. Now, I don't even want to think about IMC in that ship :hairraise: But this was good because it showed me I could control a VFR only helicopter with minimal instruments via instruments if the stuff hit the fan (or the helo hit the IMC). An occasion which I sincerly hope never happens :no:

For you fixed wingers, no hoodwork at all is required for PP-RH, and for CP-RH, there is a requirement, but it doesn't have to be done in a helicopter.

Procedure turn?? I thought you helo boys would just intercept the localizer or radial outbound, slow to a hover, spin it around and proceed inbound, no PT required:rofl:

sounds like fun Bob. I had a student in a 172 shoot an ILS today with TC and Altimeter only today. He did OK considering. Last week I had a guy do it with TC and Airspeed only. You sure dont need much...

Back