Instrument Training at HPN?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
OK. I decided to start my instrument training this March and tried to contact a CFII who had impressed me greatly. Have left messages, since February, but haven't gotten any return calls -- doesn't bode well for a continuing relationship.

I don't want to go to a school since I have my own airplane and it has always worked out much better for me to work with an independent instructor.

Can you suggest someone I can call who will work with me at HPN? Someone who is both strict and patient as I can be quite trying. (It took nearly 300 hrs and 13 instructors for me to acquire my PPL.)

I can take some time from work to fly on weekdays. And, naturally, weekends. I could fly to an instructor at POU, DXR or BDR if necessary.

When I was training at HPN about 2 1/2 years ago, I was at Panorama. I thought it was a very fine outfit. Talk to Rich Orentzel, chief Flight Instructor, 888-359-7266 (Toll Free) mailto:ROrentzel@flypfs.com. If you don't find a good instructor there, ask, they might know of a good one nearby.

Peggy,

Congrats on getting started on the IR! I just signed up for IR lesson 1 this Saturday. I'm in the same situation with the aircraft. I will do sim time at the school and either fly up for my flight lesson or split the time with a local instructor at the home field.

The flight school is 10 minutes by air from where the plane is based so not a real big deal I hope.

Depending on how fast you want to do it, there's always the PIC option to learn in your own plane. Two weekends, the five days between, one more weekday either side, and you're done. As long as you can sip from a firehose it can work.

When I was training at HPN about 2 1/2 years ago, I was at Panorama. I thought it was a very fine outfit. Talk to Rich Orentzel, chief Flight Instructor, 888-359-7266 (Toll Free) mailto:ROrentzel@flypfs.com. If you don't find a good instructor there, ask, they might know of a good one nearby.
I don't really want to use a flight school. I have met Rich at Panorama and have nothing against him, but I really do best with an independent.

Peggy,

Congrats on getting started on the IR! I just signed up for IR lesson 1 this Saturday. I'm in the same situation with the aircraft. I will do sim time at the school and either fly up for my flight lesson or split the time with a local instructor at the home field.

The flight school is 10 minutes by air from where the plane is based so not a real big deal I hope.
Hmmm. A sim is a great idea. I bought Microsoft Flight Simulator a long time ago, but couldn't get it to run on my computer. Probably not hefty enough video, memory, and processor.

Depending on how fast you want to do it, there's always the PIC option to learn in your own plane. Two weekends, the five days between, one more weekday either side, and you're done. As long as you can sip from a firehose it can work.
You're kidding, right? :blowingkisses: It took me forever to get my PPL. I would have to book that PIC guy for a year.

Hmmm. A sim is a great idea. I bought Microsoft Flight Simulator a long time ago, but couldn't get it to run on my computer. Probably not hefty enough video, memory, and processor.
I think Gary is referring to an FAA certified flight simulation device that's loggable (with an instructor), not X-Plane, Flight Simulator X, or anything like that.

Well I am only about 20 hrs into my PPL training, and I haven't even thought about going for my IR yet. I completely understand your viewpoint on independent instructors.

I don't have my own plane, but if I did, and I did decide to get my IR, my first call would be to Ron levy. I've been lurking here on and on other boards for almost three years. The man just oozes out professional and competent in his posts. I would have no trouble hiring him. Of course, I would probably be hiring the drill seargent of all CFII's :hairraise:

But in the long run, isn't that a good thing?. When you are in the clouds, you want to have the best training you can get, and the money be d-mned! I have a sneaky suspicion that Ron has forgotten more about aviating than most of ever knew.

But in the long run, isn't that a good thing?. When you are in the clouds, you want to have the best training you can get, and the money be d-mned! I have a sneaky suspicion that Ron has forgotten more about aviating than most of ever knew.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think it's great! Just that no one should expect (much less want) an easy time with him.

I think Gary is referring to an FAA certified flight simulation device that's loggable (with an instructor), not X-Plane, Flight Simulator X, or anything like that.
PIC instructors bring an FAA-certified unit with them. We usually do about 15-20 hours in the sim and 20-25 hours in the airplane.

Hey -- I ain't that old!

Ron I suspect that we are very close in age. I turn 52 this summer, and I think I read somewhere that you started flying in the early 70's. That should put us within a few years of each other. You ain't old, you are just reaching the peak age of perfection ( as in a good wine!) :goofy:

My best friend lives in Columbia, MD. And when I get my PPL the two of us are going to go for a little spin, if I can figure a way to get checked out, rent and figure out the ADIZ requirements. I would hope you are in town then because I'd like to meet you one day.

Last edited:
Damn - I saw the thread title and thought I would be uniquely able to help since I am currently doing my IFR training at Panorama at HPN. But then I saw that you are looking for an independent and I can't help you there. If you change your mind and want to consider Panorama, let me know. I know a bunch of their instructors.

Damn - I saw the thread title and thought I would be uniquely able to help since I am currently doing my IFR training at Panorama at HPN. But then I saw that you are looking for an independent and I can't help you there. If you change your mind and want to consider Panorama, let me know. I know a bunch of their instructors.

Jason, is Angie H. still there? If so tell her I started up again and that I am almost ready to solo. Tell her my CFI said she did a good job teaching me landings!:)

Jason, is Angie H. still there? If so tell her I started up again and that I am almost ready to solo. Tell her my CFI said she did a good job teaching me landings!:)

I don't believe so as that name does not ring a bell. I have only been flying at Panorama since January so my experience there is limited.

I don't believe so as that name does not ring a bell. I have only been flying at Panorama since January so my experience there is limited.

Not surprising, this was 2 1/2 years ago. I'm sure she finally moved up to the regionals by now.

OK. I decided to start my instrument training this March and tried to contact a CFII who had impressed me greatly. Have left messages, since February, but haven't gotten any return calls -- doesn't bode well for a continuing relationship.

I don't want to go to a school since I have my own airplane and it has always worked out much better for me to work with an independent instructor.

Can you suggest someone I can call who will work with me at HPN? Someone who is both strict and patient as I can be quite trying. (It took nearly 300 hrs and 13 instructors for me to acquire my PPL.)

I can take some time from work to fly on weekdays. And, naturally, weekends. I could fly to an instructor at POU, DXR or BDR if necessary.

or you could try the GATTS route (http://www.gatts.org). They will send someone to help you fly your plane there, you fly every day with one of their instructors just one-on-one for the week, and you're a guaranteed pass at the end of 7 days or they keep teaching you for free!

or you could try the GATTS route (http://www.gatts.org). They will send someone to help you fly your plane there, you fly every day with one of their instructors just one-on-one for the week, and you're a guaranteed pass at the end of 7 days or they keep teaching you for free!
Ah, now that you think it'll take her a year, you're happy to recommend the competition that's obligated to keep teaching free after a week. Get her the rating and bankrupt them at the same time. How Machiavellian. I love it!:yes::D

You can always search NAFINET.org:

Look on this page for SEL (single engine land) IAIR (instrument airplane) instructors:

http://www.nafinet.org/directory/newyork_1.html

Or, the short list of Master CFIIs in New York:

http://www.nafinet.org/mastercfi/directory/newyork.html
Master CFI has a great ring to it, but I searched their website to find out how they determine what constitutes a Master CFI and to see for myself what to expect. Looks mostly like it is a support organization for instructors. Didn't find a page that recommends them to me. I did find this.
Who We Are

Founded in 1967, NAFI is dedicated exclusively to "raising and maintaining the professional standing of the flight instructor in the aviation community." Through the years, NAFI has kept that pledge. Now, more than ever before, we are moving to enhance this original commitment.
NAFI is not only the national association that serves the full spectrum of the flight instructor community, but also maintains the finest benefits package available for everyone from the independent instructor to those teaching at flight schools. NAFI recognizes that flight instructors are truly the "teachers of flight" as well as the front line for "quality control" in our aviation world.
The association’s efforts focus on the needs of its members. While members benefit in different ways from NAFI membership, the most important reason for being a part of NAFI is supporting the flight instructor’s responsibility to all of aviation and commitment to professionalism.

Regardless of your specific area of expertise or interest in flight instruction, this is the best time for you to be a NAFI member. In NAFI, your role as a flight instructor is what we represent and support. New NAFI programs have been developed that benefit the flight instructor community and bring more value to your membership. JOIN today and become more involved in NAFI’s efforts that will directly benefit you - the flight instructor.

Also found a list of names and phone numbers, but no additional information. So now what, just start a random calling campaign?

City......... State Last Name. First Name Phone
Coram........ NY... Gretschel. Paul...... 631-331-6752
Ithaca....... NY... St George. David..... 607-272-2890
Lake Katrine. NY... Morrow.... John...... 845-594-1651
Mattydale.... NY... Oot....... Daniel.... 315-427-0036
New York..... NY... Dempsey... David..... 212-794-1917
New York..... NY... Keshishian Greg...... 212-535-5617
Branford..... CT... Skelton... Charles... 203-640-3580
Fairfield.... CT... Faile..... David..... 203-259-0809
Guilford..... CT... Leary..... Renee..... 203-458-6913
West Hartford CT... Berlin.... Michael... 860-232-0403
Wilton....... CT... Moran..... Wallace... 203-761-9095
I went through a process like that when I needed my BFR. Lots of names listed that don't return calls and others who had forgotten they were ever on a list. Finally ended up calling the local Flight Examiner.

So, do you know any of these people?

Master CFI has a great ring to it, but I searched their website to find out how they determine what constitutes a Master CFI and to see for myself what to expect. Looks mostly like it is a support organization for instructors. Didn't find a page that recommends them to me. I did find this.

Also found a list of names and phone numbers, but no additional information. So now what, just start a random calling campaign?

I went through a process like that when I needed my BFR. Lots of names listed that don't return calls and others who had forgotten they were ever on a list. Finally ended up calling the local Flight Examiner.

So, do you know any of these people?

Wally Moran is the DPE over at BDR and is also a frequent guest speaker at the FAAST meetings. I've heard great things about him.

Yes, the sim is the Elite RC-1, it's good for 20 hours towards the IR. I'm not sure how I will proceed from that point since my aircrat is not at the airport where the school is located. I may see if I will qualify for a "finish up" from PIC or fly with an instructor at ILG.

I'll finalize the plan when I return from sun-n-fun.

Angie left a few years ago, and so did Maria. Maria's flying Caravans for Tradewind down in San Juan, and I think Angie went off to the airlines but can't recall exactly.

I understand you're looking for an independent CFII, but I think it's still worth a shot at Panorama. My recommendation would be to fly with Andy, Tom, or Aaron. Andy and Tom really promote the use of the AST-3000 simulator there and I think their experience, combined with the scenarios they run you through in the sim as well as in the airplane offer great benefits to becoming a safe, proficient, and legal instrument rated pilot.

I did most all of my primary training with Colin who should be getting his "double I" within the next month or two. He is a great instructor, but very laid back. His young age, knowledge, experience, and "fun" attitude made him a great match. I really don't know any independent CFIs on the field unfortunately, I fly exclusively with the CFI's at Panorama when I seek training at HPN.
The last time I enquired at Panorama, there was some sort of bureaucratic requirement that I couldn't meet. I refuse to supply my Social Security number to get access to my airplane, but at Panorama, it was something else that has slipped my mind. What was it? Fingerprints or something like that. Whatever it was, it drove out American Flyers.

Yes, I admit to being a crotchety pain in the rump. You might say that if I want to get my rating, I'll just put aside my concerns. The way I look at, I ought to be able to get a rating and keep my self-respect.

The last time I enquired at Panorama, there was some sort of bureaucratic requirement that I couldn't meet. I refuse to supply my Social Security number to get access to my airplane, but at Panorama, it was something else that has slipped my mind. What was it? Fingerprints or something like that. Whatever it was, it drove out American Flyers.

Yes, I admit to being a crotchety pain in the rump. You might say that if I want to get my rating, I'll just put aside my concerns. The way I look at, I ought to be able to get a rating and keep my self-respect.

I started flying with Panorama back in 2002 and never had to do any of that security crap. The only thing I needed was a logbook endorsement maybe two years ago verifying my US citizenship. I understand they do this security background check stuff to new students which is frustrating, but that's going to be anywhere on the field since it's a state law (even though the state doesn't really have jurisdiction over the matter).

Try giving Wally a call.

The qualifications for NAFI MCFI are listed at http://www.nafinet.org/mastercfi/index.html. The basic requirements to be eligible are:

• be a NAFI member in good standing;
  • maintain NAFI membership during the accreditation term;
  • subscribe to and abide by NAFI’s Code of Ethics;
  • be of good moral character [i.e., FAR 61.153(c)];
  • have internet and email access;
  • have demonstrated involvement and leadership in the aviation community
  • have held, for a minimum of 48-calendar months (4 yrs), a valid FAA/ICAO-issued Ground Instructor Certificate, if applying for a MGI designation;
  • have held, for a minimum of 48-calendar months (4 yrs), a valid FAA/ICAO-issued Flight Instructor Certificate, if applying for a MCFI or MCFI-A designation or
  • have held, for a minimum of 24-calendar months (2 yrs),a valid FAA-issued Flight Instructor Certificate and a Gold Seal, if applying for a MCFI or MCFI-A designation.
  • Board of Review may make rulings outside these guidelines for good cause)
Then, the candidate must present evidence of having completed 32 credit hour units (CEU's) of relevant activity within the preceding 24 calendar months. CEU's are, as in college, awarded 1 for 15 hours of actual work. These are broken into education, service, media, and service activities. The candidate prepares a portfolio documenting these activities and submits it to NAFI for evaluation.

Angie left a few years ago, and so did Maria. Maria's flying Caravans for Tradewind down in San Juan, and I think Angie went off to the airlines but can't recall exactly.

I understand you're looking for an independent CFII, but I think it's still worth a shot at Panorama. My recommendation would be to fly with Andy, Tom, or Aaron. Andy and Tom really promote the use of the AST-3000 simulator there and I think their experience, combined with the scenarios they run you through in the sim as well as in the airplane offer great benefits to becoming a safe, proficient, and legal instrument rated pilot.

I did most all of my primary training with Colin who should be getting his "double I" within the next month or two. He is a great instructor, but very laid back. His young age, knowledge, experience, and "fun" attitude made him a great match. I really don't know any independent CFIs on the field unfortunately, I fly exclusively with the CFI's at Panorama when I seek training at HPN.

Wally Moran is the DPE over at BDR and is also a frequent guest speaker at the FAAST meetings. I've heard great things about him.

I have an appointment with Andy at Panorama. Wally Moran is out of town and the woman who answered the phone (his wife?) says he doesn't usually take students.

Back