instrument stuff on CP-ASEL checkride?

mantakos

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hm
I'm prepping for my CP-ASEL checkride, and I have an IR, but I haven't logged any actual/sim time in 9 months. The commercial PTS doesn't appear to have any tasks for instrument work, but the "Applicant's Practical Test Checklist" lists a "view limiting device" as one of the things to bring to the checkride. Of course, this checklist is pretty much identical with the one for the CP-AMEL (except for one typo), so I'm thinking maybe this is only relevant for multi checkrides.

Is hood work "fair game" for a CP-ASEL checkride? Can it be, without any task in the PTS?
-harry

I did my CP-ASEL as an add-on ride, but I don't remember any hood work for either ride; pretty sure they're all VFR tasks.

I did my CP-ASEL as an add-on ride, but I don't remember any hood work for either ride; pretty sure they're all VFR tasks.

I did hood work for both, as I would expect any examiner to require, especially recovery from unusual attitudes.

There are no basic instrument maneuvers required in the Commercial Pilot PTS. I'm confused.

I sure didn't do any but he was hard core on navigation and landings.

I was not asked to do any instrument procedures or hood procedures during my Comm checkride. I would take it as a precaution and even some preparation would not cause any harm. Do remember that everything you do on your checkride is derived directly from the PTS. Some examiners will say "I only test on what is required" others will ask for more. My best advice which worked great for me is to call the examiner whom you will be testing with and ask him/her what they will be looking for and specifically ask about hood work. I have not met one that wasn't accommodating.

Is hood work "fair game" for a CP-ASEL checkride? Can it be, without any task in the PTS?
-harry

There's no PTS task that calls for the hood, but it is required equipment.
:dunno:

I think it's a case of copy-paste without editing, or it may be covered under "Examiner discretion" (see Designated Pilot and Flight Engineer Examiner's Handbook)

My DPE gave me my IR checkride about 5 months earlier. He said "I know you know how to navigate."

The Comm practical was a VFR, airplane-handling exam (and the most fun and easiest of all!)
:rollercoaster:

If an examiner asks for instrument tasks on an initial Commercial ride, do them to the best of your ability. If the examiner then flunks you on any of them, ask the examiner to show you where in the PTS it says those tasks must be performed satisfactorily to pass, and if s/he can't, let him/her know you will be appealing your bust to the FSDO.

Ya, I just checked the log book...no instrument time on either CP ride. All I remember from my CP-AMEL is a lot of failed engines and a lot of metal math (four diverts and six SE events, including a SE short field - which I don't think you're supposed to do in the Seminole).

No hood time on my C-ASEL or my C-ASES

Back