Instrument Scan with 1 or 2 G5s?

I totally agree! the G5 HSI is only instrument I've used that actually makes me fly better than I did with a "regular" instrument.

I also like that I can get an RMI needle for a VOR, it autosequences the CDI, etc... Also I have some fields on the display, so I can use one of the other display fields on the 430W for something else since I don't need distance in multiple places.

Keeping scan discipline with 6 pack steam gauges is what I’m learning on. I imagine one of the big screen PFDs would make that aspect easier, but what about a tiny G5, or two? Do you just “stare” at G5? Is it easier?
The G5 equipped planes I have flown still have a "6 pack" so the scan was basically the same. Where the G5 becomes super helpful is when you are IMC as it allows your scan to be much more centralized with less eye bouncing and potentially to get "sucked into" one instrument and lose sight of the other

Last edited:
The G5 equipped planes I have flown still have a "6 pack" so the scan was basically the same. Where the G5 becomes super helpful is when you are IMC as it allows your scan to be much more centralized with less eye bouncing and potentially to get "sucked into" one instrument and lose sight of the other

That and I like having both a heading and a track tick at the top of the AI so that I can keep a wind correction angle locked in hand flying to maintain the course bang-on.

Back