Instrument ride is set up .... suggestions?

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
For end of next week. Received sign off, but I'm still very nervous. I do have the route for planning purposes.

What I am nervous about is that I don;t get flustered with the 430. Since I have a TAA, the 430 will be used in conjunction with the Avidyne and autopilor. Sometimes I forget when to exactly activate the approach. So what I am doing, is writing procedures down step for step for a) approaches and b)holds.

Here is my assessment of where I am at:

1. The oral portion I think I will be fine on, especially with the planning. I am going to work on it over the weekend. Am going to set up airport plates in foreflight and review the route with potential alternates in mind. Obviously, I cannot plan for the weather, but will go over MEA and the like. I know I will be questioned on the VOR testing, lost comm and emergency procedures.

2. I have an idea of the airport(s) the DPE uses for the ride. I will be setting those up in the plates binder in foreflight. I am going to familiarize myself with the approach plates. I am also going to make a "cheat sheet" of the VOR and airport frequencies to put on my kneeboard. I know that the last approach will be a partial panel RNAV back to my home airport, and I know there will be a VOR and ILS at the other airport. There may or may not be a circle to land at the home airport depending on winds. DME arcs will not be tested.

3. As stated above am going to make a concise step by step procedures checklist for approaches and holds.

4. My partial panel work is good as well as my unusual attitudes.

5. My CFII will be going over my IACRA and both of us will be going through the aiircraft logs etc. We already have a template set up of last inspections etc. I did a VOT test at KMKE last week with no errors, and the 430 database is updated until a few days after the scheduled ride. It just had a 100 hour, and is in annual. I have my FAA certificate, medical, poto ID, FTN number, my exam results sheet, 2 signoffs (for practical test and going over wrong questions of the written) from my CFII and check for the examiner ready. I am good with flight hours for instuments, XC, long XC etc. I have my BFR sign off still in effect.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Don't forget your foggles, make sure to identify the VOR's/ILS, When you do your VOR approach, don't forget to switch the 430 to VLOC mode, don't forget you timer/timing, bring paper/back up charts in case the examiner decides to "fail" your 430. Relax! My instrument ride was tough but I was well prepared and judging by your other posts, it seems you are very well prepared so you'll do fine.

Identify your navaids, remember the 5 Ts and relax. You know how to fly the plane or you wouldn't get signed off. Now just show the examiner what you've shown your instructor time and time again. I'll bet you a $100 hamburger that you pass with flying colors.

Don't forget your foggles, make sure to identify the VOR's/ILS, When you do your VOR approach, don't forget to switch the 430 to VLOC mode, don't forget you timer/timing, bring paper/back up charts in case the examiner decides to "fail" your 430. Relax! My instrument ride was tough but I was well prepared and judging by your other posts, it seems you are very well prepared so you'll do fine.

Right.....I have the ASA hood. Also will be taking iPad mini and cradle. The new paper charts, terminal procedure and AFD will be picked up on Saturday as my local shop has my order already.

Thanks!

I've been considering creating a few "reference cards" on items that I'm not the good at, especially weather map symbology, METAR/TAF abbreviations, FARs specific to IFR flight, and more. It's something I'm going to need and want even after the check ride.

You mentioned setting up the plates in FF. Don't forget to make use of the "Binder" feature to collect everything in one spot. And another solid tip for FF. A three-finger swipe left or right will change to the next IAP. So if you organize your IAP's and Airport Diagrams in order of need, three-finger swiping can speed up getting to the next plate.

If the DPE asks about any special departure procedures, don't forget that that info is in FF under the airport page and procedures tab.

Jordan's point about ID-ing the VOR is a good one. The CNX80/480 in the Skylane has this as an automated function, but I need to become familiar with how to get it to "beep" at me.

Definitely get everything squared up in IACRA. During my PPL exam, a problem was discovered and caused a big delay while we hunted down my instructor and got it fixed.

DME arcs will not be tested

Lucky duck. Setting up and executing this is one area that I need work in.

I've been considering creating a few "reference cards" on items that I'm not the good at, especially weather map symbology, METAR/TAF abbreviations, FARs specific to IFR flight, and more. It's something I'm going to need and want even after the check ride.

You mentioned setting up the plates in FF. Don't forget to make use of the "Binder" feature to collect everything in one spot. And another solid tip for FF. A three-finger swipe left or right will change to the next IAP. So if you organize your IAP's and Airport Diagrams in order of need, three-finger swiping can speed up getting to the next plate.

If the DPE asks about any special departure procedures, don't forget that that info is in FF under the airport page and procedures tab.

Jordan's point about ID-ing the VOR is a good one. The CNX80/480 in the Skylane has this as an automated function, but I need to become familiar with how to get it to "beep" at me.

Definitely get everything squared up in IACRA. During my PPL exam, a problem was discovered and caused a big delay while we hunted down my instructor and got it fixed.

Lucky duck. Setting up and executing this is one area that I need work in.

Thanks

Here are my suggestions:

1) Make sure you have your cockpit organization down pat. Put everything in the plane in a manner that you aren't looking for it.
2) Slow the plane down if you are flying a faster airplane. Even a few knots helps.
3) I found that DPEs tend to be a little more forgiving of me if I talked through what I was doing even if I couldn't nail what I wanted to do. I think they are looking for your knowledge of the task. Of course if you blow through the test standard limits, all bets are off.
4) I am a firm believer in checklists. Especially the approach briefing checklist.
5) Get a good night's sleep!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're well prepared so you will do well. Be smooooth.

File your flight plan to the IAF.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Make sure you have your cockpit organization down pat. Put everything in the plane in a manner that you aren't looking for it.
2) Slow the plane down if you are flying a faster airplane. Even a few knots helps.
3) I found that DPEs tend to be a little more forgiving of me if I talked through what I was doing even if I couldn't nail what I wanted to do. I think they are looking for your knowledge of the task. Of course if you blow through the test standard limits, all bets are off.
4) I am a firm believer in checklists. Especially the approach briefing checklist.
5) Get a good night's sleep!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#1 is a good one. Cockpit management is really important for IFR flying

Take your time and relax. If you feel overwhelmed and behind prior to beginning an approach, request delay vectors or slow the airplane down a bit to buy yourself more time. Most examiners realize that real world IFR does not involve doing 3 approaches and a hold back to back, so they'll understand and see you slowing things down as good judgment/SRM.

You DPE takes checks?

IIRC mine required greenbacks.

You DPE takes checks?
Most do, although I know one based in Delaware who will only take a check drawn on a Delaware bank.

IIRC mine required greenbacks.
Some are that way. Just found one like that up in Pennsylvania last month.

And some also take plastic. In any event, it's important to ensure you know what the DPE with whom you are taking the ride will accept, because it's not fun for either side if you don't have an acceptable form of payment when you show up for the ride.

I've come across an instructor who is using the Square credit card reader and service. He says he really likes it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some DPE's start using smart phone card readers.

Back