chickencanfly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chickencanfly
I have UK CAA EASA PPL no night rating and got my FAA 14 CFR 61.75 license based on my UK PPL and flew in the US. I am interested in getting instrument rating in the US and have couple of questions.

1. Can I get FAA instrument rating without night rating on my UK PPL?

2. My FAA Verification letter is more than six months old. Do I need to apply for new verification from scratch before the IRA checkride? If yes,

a. Just request the UK PPL (SRG1160) verification or I need to do the FAA form as well AC-8060-71?

Thank you

I believe your US PPL is just like anyone else’s. I’d think you just need to meet the requirements of FAR 61.65.

If you hold an FAA PPL Pilot certificate, then you should be able to add instrument rating to that certificate in the US.

I have UK CAA EASA PPL no night rating and got my FAA 14 CFR 61.75 license based on my UK PPL and flew in the US. I am interested in getting instrument rating in the US and have couple of questions.

1. Can I get FAA instrument rating without night rating on my UK PPL?

2. My FAA Verification letter is more than six months old. Do I need to apply for new verification from scratch before the IRA checkride? If yes,

a. Just request the UK PPL (SRG1160) verification or I need to do the FAA form as well AC-8060-71?

Thank you

Honestly, I think you would be better off getting a fresh U.S. private certificate and then add the instrument rating to it. The complications of adding a rating to a certificate based on a foreign license is just not worth it. I went through the same issue many years ago (Canadian private license without a night rating). I did the private and instrument checkrides a week apart.

Last edited:
Back