Instrument Rating in a 150

etemplet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
etemplet
I am just getting back into flying and am working toward an instrument rating. I am about 1/2 way there or more. I am purchasing a Cessna 150 aerobat (yes.... aerobat) That is IFR equipped. I'd prolly save some money if I went ahead and completed my Instrument Rating in the 150. Has anyone done that? Thoughts ?

I plan to use the Trip back in the plan as my long cross country. It will be an 8+ hour flight. LOL

I also have a 150 and was considering using it for part of the training. I can certify it IFR for "cheap" but adding a glideslope or IFR gps will cost quite a bit. Also, the 250nm IFR cross country may be difficult with IFR reserves.

(ii) Instrument flight training on cross country flight procedures, including one cross country flight in an airplane with an authorized instructor, that is performed under instrument flight rules, when a flight plan has been filed with an air traffic control facility, and that involves--

• (A) A flight of 250 nautical miles along airways or by directed routing from an air traffic control facility;
    (B) An instrument approach at each airport; and
    (C) Three different kinds of approaches with the use of navigation systems.

Sure, plenty have done or are doing it. The big question is how the plane is equipped (nav/com/gps) and where in the country you live. Personally I wouldn't enjoy flying a single nav receiver in complex airspace or mountainous terrain, and if you're out in the boonies you may struggle to find enough variety of approaches you can fly.

Last edited:
I also have a 150 and was considering using it for part of the training. I can certify it IFR for "cheap" but adding a glideslope or IFR gps will cost quite a bit. Also, the 250nm IFR cross country may be difficult with IFR reserves.

Stop and get gas at one of your airports along the way...

Tons of people have earned their IFR ticket in 150/2s

Just make sure it's got good gyros and can shoot a precision and non precision approach, also a fixed card compass is a nice upgrade ;)

I trained a pilot for his IR in C-150 a couple of years ago. No big deal as long as the trainee and instructor aren't overly large (for both legal max gross weight and practical comfort issues). Biggest problem is finding one with enough avionics -- doing the IR training and test (not to mention practical IFR flying) with only a single nav/comm and a transponder is a lot of work and isn't much fun (think partial panel hold at an intersection).

Wow very cool to know. Thanks for the quick replies and input !! More options... for me to choose. :)

An aircraft equipped to get the rating and flying routinely in IMC are not the same from a safety standpoint.

I did my IFR in my 152 and it was fine. Had a glideslope and two VORs but the second VOR died so it went to only one. Did have a little garmin 250 XL panel mount VFR gps which was helpful for "situational awareness"
It will be fun but hard work. Thermals and wind will make it mor interesting but if I did it then I'm sure you can too.

For my ride I was under the hood for two hours and at one point the DPE said, Jean, do you realize we're flying sideways?

Enjoy the aerobatic and post pictures

... Also, the 250nm IFR cross country may be difficult with IFR reserves...

Nothing says you can't land at an intermediate stop, refuel and continue the cross country. Oops, just read where Ted beat me to it.

Why not,it's your aircraft ,might as well get used to it.

And the examiner. Don't forget the examiner.
Yeah, that, too -- we did have to shop around to find one for the trainee I mentioned. Had the same problem for a trainee doing his IR in a Grumman Yankee. It really doesn't matter what airframe it's pulling around -- a 100-108HP engine doesn't loft much of a payload.

A few years ago, Rick Durden had a nice article about flying a C-150 on a long instrument cross country. It was in AOPA Magazine if you want to try to find it. If an aviator can use a C-150 for an actual IMC cross country like that, I don't know why a C-150 wouldn't be good enough for training.

In a 150, I think you'll need a calendar instead of a stop watch to measure time from the final approach fix to the missed approach point during a localizer/ILS approach. :D

Back in the 80s I had a very nice Cessna 140 IFR equipped. I loaned it to the daughter of a friend and she got her instrument ticket in it. ( she got her ppl in her fathers 195 Cessna) it must have worked as she has been a lead pilot in gulf streams for a major U.S. Corp. for the last 20 years.

An aircraft equipped to get the rating and flying routinely in IMC are not the same from a safety standpoint.
not true. as with all things, it depends.

I learned to fly in IMC concurrent with my primary training in a C-337. Later when I bought my first plane, a 75hp ercoupe with instruments powered only by venturi, I flew it in some form of IMC at least a couple times a month.

Actually, I am thinking of getting my rating in the Cutlass RG. It will be expensive but I'll have the option of renting that plane for trips and such.

Actually, I am thinking of getting my rating in the Cutlass RG. It will be expensive but I'll have the option of renting that plane for trips and such.
That's one way to build complex time in order to get complex privileges at your FBO or get cheaper insurance in your own complex airplane later.

Actually the Cutlass is only about $20.00 more per hour than I pay for Warriors. It's kind of a no brainer cost-wise and I won't have to do the high performance time with an instructor to qualify to rent the plane. I think this will be a good compliment to my Cessna Aerobat I am purchasing. I'll have a good cross country plane available.

I am getting the IFR Aerobat for fun flying, IFR currency, and all around and cheap operation and ownership. Plus, I Like them !! We'll see how that all goes. LOL

Back