Instrument Rating ACS Confusion

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
My instructor recommends using the Instrument ACS to guide my studies. The ACS standards are LOOSELY correlated with FAA Publications at the tope of each page (e.g., Task A - Pilot Qualifications is correlated to 14CFR Part 61; FAA-H-8083-2, FAA-H-8083-15).

HOWEVER, now finding the sections of these reference documents that correlate with each ACS is a nightmare. The indices in FAA publications aren't great, and the chapter headings are very general, making the research time consuming, a waste, and unnecessarily difficult. Almost seems like they are trying to make this difficult.

Does anyone know if some kind person or company has taken each ACS standards and mapped them to a place to find the best, most comprehensive answers?

(I have already passed the written with a 92 and have the King Schools courses and other books. I'm looking for something more ACS focused.)

Thanks, all!

Not that I'm aware. This is where you'll need to be a little more self directed. Start looking though the Instrument Flying Handbook, and the Instrument Procedures Handbook, and map it out yourself. Hey- the worst that happens is that you learn more than you intended to.

At this point I'm convinced the only reason all this crap is on the written and oral is to try to weed out people who really shouldn't be doing this. If you stripped it down to just the stuff required to safely and competently fly IFR, a lot of it would disappear, and stuff that isn't on there would be. On balance, it'd be easier to get the instrument ticket.

Not that I'm aware. This is where you'll need to be a little more self directed. Start looking though the Instrument Flying Handbook, and the Instrument Procedures Handbook, and map it out yourself. Hey- the worst that happens is that you learn more than you intended to.
Yes...I'm a very self-directed kind of guy. But it just seems incredibly inefficient...almost like they are trying to make it difficult. I do want to believe otherwise, but Mistake Not...might be right. Will check out Gleim.com as pointed out above...

Back