Instrument Procedure Logging

Archimago

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archimago
Just curious about logging instrument time.. I have my IR.
If I am shooting an approach and pass through a cloud layer I can log that amount of time as actual, but do I log the approach if say I am at 5000', I pass through a thin layer and pop out at 4000' and then fly the rest of the approach with no foggles and basically vfr all the way to the runway.
If not, what is the cut off for what's considered an "Instrument Approach" for currency and logging time.

Thanks!

I can see I am not the only one wondering!

This answers it beautifully, Thanks!

"The FAA does not require the ceiling to be at MDA or DA/DH during a flight in IMC. When an aircraft is flying an IAP in IMC, two outcomes are possible: 1. The aircraft will transition from IMC to visual meteorological conditions that allow a landing in accordance with § 91.175; or 2. The aircraft will remain in IMC and execute a missed approach at the missed approach point (MAP) or DA/DH. In either case, a pilot may log the IAP."

I am not rated, so take my research with some grain of salt. I have also read you can log the approach if you were in IMC at IAF. someone please correct me if i am wrong

I am not rated, so take my research with some grain of salt. I have also read you can log the approach if you were in IMC at IAF. someone please correct me if i am wrong
The paragraph right above the quote above says
When conducted in an aircraft maneuvering in IMC, and the aircraft transitions from IMC to visual flight conditions on the final approach segment of the IAP prior to or upon reaching MDA or DA/DH.

You either fly it in IMC to the MAP/DA -or- you fly it until you get to conditions consistent with 91.155 (i.e., runway environment in sight and above visibility minimum).

There's a fine difference between that and just saying "you start in IMC at the IAF."

Just saying. You should concentrate on the procedure and don't mess with timer. Log a couple minutes and call it good.

just log the time you’re IFR or under foggles. If you pop in and out of a layer, or just through on the approach just make an educated guess on time.

just don’t be like some recent posts where pilots “didn’t know” you don’t log actual the entire flight plan even when VFR conditions prevail.

Just saying. You should concentrate on the procedure and don't mess with timer. Log a couple minutes and call it good.
Yes, that's true. I was less concerned with logging actual time then I was keeping currency with approaches, Although I can usually find a pilot to fly with, sometimes our schedules don't mesh. If I can file IFR and get to fly through a cloud layer to arrive at my destination, it can help.

Newish IR rating so I'm learning that a lapse in currency can happen pretty quickly--I just want to stay out ahead of it.

Just curious about logging instrument time.. I have my IR.
If I am shooting an approach and pass through a cloud layer I can log that amount of time as actual, but do I log the approach if say I am at 5000', I pass through a thin layer and pop out at 4000' and then fly the rest of the approach with no foggles and basically vfr all the way to the runway.
If not, what is the cut off for what's considered an "Instrument Approach" for currency and logging time.

Thanks!

The best piece of advice an old instructor gave me on this topic. Don't worry about counting approaches for currency. Just do an IPC every 6 months.

The simple rule is if you're in imc inside the FAF, you can log it. FWIW, I go up and shoot 2-3 approaches and a hold every month. I've been rated for a year and theres always been a day every month suitable for flying approaches. That also seems to be about the minimum for ME to stay proficient.

Back