Instrument Practice this Wednesday

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I don't know if I've posted this here or not, but I'm 'revising' my strategy for staying / getting comfortable with instrument (cloud) flying. I've been doing what the FAA requires to stay legally current--going out and doing at least six instrument approaches and holding procedures at least every six months--but I still don't feel totally confident with flying in the clouds. I've yet to fly in IMC by MYSELF in the plane (solo). YET I KNOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!! I can nail the approaches every time, and I stay mentally ahead of the airplane. I'm not sure where the nervousness comes from (not flying often enough, perhaps?), but I'm determined to push through it. One of my goals for this year, as you may know, is to not only fly more and get my commercial rating, but also to fly IMC solo.

I did some research and found a highly regarded corporate pilot (Brad) who is also a CFII and is also very knowledgable on the G1000 glass panel Cessna's I've been flying, and I've hooked up with him with a plan I put together.

We're going to purposely watch for cloudy days, and then go fly in them--real trips, from planning to departure procedures to enroute to arrivals! No more relying solely on sunny weekend mornings with my buddy, practicing "instrument" approaches under the hood or foggles. It's just NOT the same thing as really being surrounded by clouds, no visibility, and knowing you HAVE to do this and you HAVE to do it correctly, RIGHT NOW. With foggles, there's always the "easy out" of pulling off the glasses/hood [I've never cheated and pulled off the foggles when the going gets tough, but your brain knows you CAN]. Also, flying under the hood doesn't train you to deal with weather scenarios and decisions.

This Wednesday is forecast to be partly to mostly cloudy, with increasing clouds and a 20% chance of isolated thunderstorms in the late afternoon/evening. Obviously, widespread thunderstorms would ground us, I'm looking for cloudy weather and some rain, if possible, along with developing in-flight weather analysis and decision making skills.

I'm working my plan! My boss granted my vacation day request for Wednesday, and Brad and the G1000 are reserved for Wednesday starting at noon. I'm going to fly down to Waco, do a DME Arc approach, go to Hillsboro and shoot a GPS approach, then back to Alliance Fort Worth for some ILS and Localizer work.

Here's a link to track the plane we'll be in, around 1330 CST.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N712NV

Last edited:
Cool. I KNOW I need to go back up and do an IPC, since it's been about 2 months since I've flown in any actual. I think I'm going to try to do the 6 month IPC and avery three months get a flight in actual. It's just really hard when actual = icing in the midwest for much of the winter. I'm a chicken when it comes to icing, and proud of it! :)

I'm right with you Troy. I have been doing the minimum to stay current...I feel comfortable on the knowledge part, but actually doing it is different. Once I have received my commercial certificate, I have promised myself I will do an IPC (preferably in IMC).
After that is complete I am on the lookout for some good simulator emergency training as well. Hearing the instructor say "okay, you've just lost the electrical system" vs recognizing and reacting to the ammeter showing a negative/positive charge (among other emergencies) is quite a different event. I would say IPC and emergency simulations are high on my list of priorities.

excellent Troy. The instrument students that I have felt the best about signing off have been ones with several hours of actual experience. I truly feel I am shortchanging a student if they do not have actual cloud flying experience when going for the rating.

Troy, if you go up at night it really solidifys and amplifys the actual IMC experience too.

Troy, if you go up at night it really solidifys and amplifys the actual IMC experience too.

You know, that's the funny thing. I had a REALLY GOOD instrument instructor who worked for Raytheon, who was not afraid to take me into actual instrument conditions. I did most of my training after work, during the winter, so it was DARK NIGHT conditions, sometimes in actual as well.

I have 55.7 simulated instrument, 6.9 hours of actual IMC, and 116 actual approaches flown. Those totals don't include numerous hours spent flying approaches on MS Flight Sim, reading IFR magazine, reading books, Jepp legend pages, watching videos, etc.

I've flown IFR/IMC without an instructor (but with a fellow pilot on board, right seat) both before and after my rating. I just haven't flown SOLO IMC.

Seems silly, huh? Between this and the 206/gross weight thing. I'm a competent pilot, I just have to get past this mental hurdle. I know it seems a strange thing to confess to a group of pilots--we're all "macho" right? No, wait, that's one of the warning signs/traits. I'm not macho. I want to know I can do this SAFELY and CONFIDENTLY and without increased risk to my kids' future when they are on board depending on me to get them on the ground!

Ya know Troy, you may just be too damn smart to be an IFR pilot!

There's more risk and less ways out when the risk turns real in IMC, and that makes for a person with vision to be a bit less at ease and less confident, no matter how good their skills are. It's normal and probably won't change, nor should it change.

You know, that's the funny thing. I had a REALLY GOOD instrument instructor who worked for Raytheon, who was not afraid to take me into actual instrument conditions. I did most of my training after work, during the winter, so it was DARK NIGHT conditions, sometimes in actual as well.

I have 55.7 simulated instrument, 6.9 hours of actual IMC, and 116 actual approaches flown. Those totals don't include numerous hours spent flying approaches on MS Flight Sim, reading IFR magazine, reading books, Jepp legend pages, watching videos, etc.

I've flown IFR/IMC without an instructor (but with a fellow pilot on board, right seat) both before and after my rating. I just haven't flown SOLO IMC.

Seems silly, huh? Between this and the 206/gross weight thing. I'm a competent pilot, I just have to get past this mental hurdle. I know it seems a strange thing to confess to a group of pilots--we're all "macho" right? No, wait, that's one of the warning signs/traits. I'm not macho. I want to know I can do this SAFELY and CONFIDENTLY and without increased risk to my kids' future when they are on board depending on me to get them on the ground!

... that makes for a person with vision to be a bit less at ease and less confident, no matter how good their skills are. It's normal and probably won't change, nor should it change.

I love it, Dave!! That's it!! I'll just fly with my eyes closed! :) :yes:

I'm sure it will alleviate with more experience, so that's what I'm trying to attain. I'm making a specific effort to fly with people that are disciplined and experienced and can teach me how to approach this with the level of professionalism it absolutely demands.

Not silly at all. I remember having to force myself into my first solo IFR flight after I got my ticket. For some reason, "force" seemed to be the operative word. Forcing your brain to comply. Forcing it to realize you'll breeze right through this solid-looking thing in front of you!

If it's any help, I picked a day that was scattered to broken, and filed for an altitude that put me in or above it. That way I could get experience climbing into it and descending through it. Couldn't see the runway from above. Also got a few breaks inbetween.

Have fun!

-Rich

If it's any help, I picked a day that was scattered to broken, and filed for an altitude that put me in or above it. That way I could get experience climbing into it and descending through it. Couldn't see the runway from above. Also got a few breaks inbetween.

I got my first solo actual on a trip where there was a layer at 6,800 with tops at 7,100. I filed for 7,000 and got about .2 or .3 of actual. :D Then, it was into thicker stuff, and within about 6 weeks I'd done my first (and possibly still only :() solo non-precision approach in actual.

Not silly at all. I remember having to force myself into my first solo IFR flight after I got my ticket. For some reason, "force" seemed to be the operative word. Forcing your brain to comply. Forcing it to realize you'll breeze right through this solid-looking thing in front of you!

Have fun!

-Rich

Those are good suggestions, Rich! I'll try that. I think the "force" yourself to do it is absolutely it--it's a mental hurdle, not a skills one.

Been working on planning for tomorrow. Studied the weather (what it's been earlier this week, what it is now, what it's supposed to be tomorrow, and more importantly, WHY... where are the fronts, what's driving the weather, why is there a slight chance of thunderstorms tomorrow). We'll be behind a warm front if the forecast holds, with a dryline to the west and a chasing cold front in west Texas. The warm and cold fronts converge at a low over Kansas/Oklahoma.

It's clear and sunny outside right now, narry a cloud in site. Looks different for tomorrow. Will get revised FA's and TAF's after 9pm local tonight, but so far this is matching what earlier forecasts said. Moderately low ceilings, good vis. I like that. Should have no issue getting actual IMC.

TAFs for KFTW KACT

KACT 271739Z 271818 17015KT P6SM SCT009
TEMPO 1819 BKN009
FM0600 16014KT 4SM BR OVC015
FM0900 18015KT 3SM BR OVC009
FM1600 18015KT 6SM BR BKN008 OVC010

KFTW 271739Z 271818 15015G20KT P6SM SKC
FM0000 15012KT P6SM SCT250
FM0700 16014KT 6SM HZ BKN015 OVC020
FM1000 18015KT 5SM BR BKN008 OVC010
FM1600 18015KT P6SM SCT008 OVC012

I've already briefed the approaches we'll fly. Plan is to depart 52F around 1:00/1:30 local, fly to KINJ and do the GPS 16 into KINJ (Hillsboro) with a missed, thence to the VOR 14 (with the DME ARC) at KACT, full stop.

Q: Why is DME not in the title of the VOR 14 approach into KACT? The similar approach from the other side, to runway 32, is the VOR/DME 32. The DME is needed to fly the ARC, to fly the missed procedure... hmmmm. Will spend some time tonight looking that over, in case he asks about it.

The VOR approach into KACT should be fun (really!). Between the arc and the dogleg at the VOR, it should keep me mentally engaged.

We'll full stop at KACT, taxi back and get a new clearance back to KAFW (just WSW of 52F) for an ILS approach to 16L. Will probably file the ACT.SLUGG5 arrival into KAFW, but hope we get direct at some point (which I think we will, mid-day, mid-week with IMC; it should be relatively slow out there for ATC).

Been briefing the approaches, etc.

Still to do tonight/tomorrow AM (I meet Brad at noon at the airport):
- Identify where "good" weather is and pick an alternate
- Weather briefing from FSS, file the flight plans
- Get NOTAMS for airports and navaids
- Organize charts
- Practice loading and flying these approaches in MS Flight Sim and G1000 sim.
- Review Special VFR procedures (never done SVFR) in case we need it to make the short distance from KAFW to 52F on the return trip. The weather is forecast to improve slightly as the evening goes on, so I'm anticipating ceilings high enough to get back to 52F VFR.
- Get a good night's sleep
- Relax and have fun.

Last edited:

Looks like a good way to get your wings a little wetter. Low enough to get lots of actual, high enough not to freak you out when there's a runway RIGHT THERE. ;)

Q: Why is DME not in the title of the VOR 14 approach into KACT? The similar approach from the other side, to runway 32, is the VOR/DME 32. The DME is needed to fly the ARC, to fly the missed procedure... hmmmm.

It's not in the name because DME is not required. You do NOT need to fly the arc (Using ACT as the IAF and fly the procedure turn), and on the missed you can identify BOSEL not only by ACT R164 14 DME, but also by the intersection of ACT R164 and TPL R027.

So, while DME gives you more options and certainly makes things easier, it is not required.

Still to do tonight/tomorrow AM (I meet Brad at noon at the airport):
- Identify where "good" weather is and pick an alternate
- Weather briefing from FSS, file the flight plans
- Get NOTAMS for airports and navaids
- Organize charts
- Practice loading and flying these approaches in MS Flight Sim and G1000 sim.
- Review Special VFR procedures (never done SVFR) in case we need it to make the short distance from KAFW to 52F on the return trip. The weather is forecast to improve slightly as the evening goes on, so I'm anticipating ceilings high enough to get back to 52F VFR.
- Get a good night's sleep
- Relax and have fun.

Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy! :yes:

It's not in the name because DME is not required. You do NOT need to fly the arc (Using ACT as the IAF and fly the procedure turn), and on the missed you can identify BOSEL not only by ACT R164 14 DME, but also by the intersection of ACT R164 and TPL R027.

So, while DME gives you more options and certainly makes things easier, it is not required.

Aha! You're right, that makes sense. Thanks, Kent!

Aha! You're right, that makes sense. Thanks, Kent!

You're welcome, Troy... Now may I suggest a few IFR training flights in an airplane WITHOUT a G1000 so you remember how to identify intersections without DME? ;)

(Just kiddin'... I'm insanely jealous that you have such nice birds so close by!)

You're welcome, Troy... Now may I suggest a few IFR training flights in an airplane WITHOUT a G1000 so you remember how to identify intersections without DME? ;)

You can get DME info on the G1000?! I was planning on using my trailing 25,000' Stanley tape measure. :)

Oh! I thought of something I had wanted to post earlier, but forgot. Weather question.

The forecast tomorrow during the time of my departure is calling for a surface temp of 71 and dewpoint of 57. That's 21.6 C and 13.9 C, a spread of 7.7 C.

My Commercial exam studies say that the dewpoint and temp come together at a rate of about 2.5C per 1000 feet. 7.7C / 2.5 = 3.08. I expected to see the forecast bases at about 3000' AGL. Instead, the forecast was for 800-1000.

Did I do the math wrong, or are they using better models than me? Even if I figure that fog can form with a spread of 2C, and thus do 5.7C / 2.5, I still come up with over 2200' AGL before condensation.

Stumped....

your math is right. lapse rate for tomorrow is just going to be nonstandard thats all.

You can get DME info on the G1000?! I was planning on using my trailing 25,000' Stanley tape measure. :)

:rofl:

Actually, aside from the GPS distances you can get by default with the G1000, you can also add a "real" DME receiver (which you can use to do DME arcs legally, and as a backup for GPS outages) and even an ADF!

:rofl:

Actually, aside from the GPS distances you can get by default with the G1000, you can also add a "real" DME receiver (which you can use to do DME arcs legally, and as a backup for GPS outages) and even an ADF!

"which you can use to DME arcs legally"?

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/gps_in_lieu.html#figurea

"DME arcs associated with instrument approaches may be flown using GPS distance, provided the DME transmitter on which the arc is based is identified in the GPS database."

I'm flying the VOR 14 to KACT tomorrow. The way I read this, if I load and activate the VOR approach, it includes a "leg" from OVFAC to MAJER that defines the arc. Looking at the flight plan waypoints, I see ACT in the waypoint list. ACT is the "DME transmitter on which the arc is based", which means the GPS database knows where the physical transmitter is, and can show me "DME"-styl distances from that Navaid.

On the G1000, I can press the PFD softkey (on the PFD) and then press BRG1 (with the VORTAC dialed up on nav1) and get this:

G1000_BRG1.jpg

I think that distance display qualifies for me to fly the arc. I understand that I need to switch the CDI to VOR to fly the approach, but to stay 10 "DME" on the arc, following the magenta line "for guidance only" from the GPS flight plan/approach, and monitoring the distance using the BRG1 info, should be legal.

Is that wrong?

More info from the AOPA article:

AOPA said:
Effective July 16, 1998, pilots may substitute IFR-certified GPS receivers for DME and ADF avionics for all operations except NDB approaches without a GPS overlay. GPS can be used in lieu of DME and ADF on all localizer-type approaches as well as VOR/DME approaches, including when charted NDB or DME transmitters are temporarily out of service. It also clarifies that IFR GPS satisfies the requirement for DME at and above Flight Level 240 specified in FAR 91.205(e). This approval represents a major step toward removing the need to retain DME or ADF in our cockpits for any reason.

I'm flying the VOR 14 to KACT tomorrow. The way I read this, if I load and activate the VOR approach, it includes a "leg" from OVFAC to MAJER that defines the arc.

OK, here's something "unexpected" when I was flying the G1000 trainer tonight. I'll run through it; if you're G1000 familiar let me know what I did wrong, or if that's how it's supposed to work.

I had a flight plan from KAFW to KACT loaded. I loaded (did not activate) the VOR 14 approach with OVFAC as the IAF (the eastern end of the DME ARC).

After passing NELYN intersection inbound, I adjusted my heading to 170 to "simulate" being vectored onto the arc between OVFAC and MAJER. The MFD display showed me headed just about for the center of the arc.

I activated the approach, and the CDI (still set to GPS) swung to point to OVFAC as expected. Next, as the G1000 manual says to do, I pulled up the flight plan, pressed the FMS cursor knob and browsed down to the DME ARC line in the flight plan. I pressed the MENU button, selected "Activate Leg", and hit ENT. That activated the Leg between OVFAC and MAJER in magenta, as expected, and the CDI spun around to point to MAJER.

So far, so good! I expected that the G1000 would give me "Next Desired Track XXX" about 1.5-2.0 miles outside the arc, to join the arc, based on my groundspeed. It did no such thing... it just let me fly through it.

Is that to be expected? Does it not provide turn guidance when intercepting an "activated leg"? That would be good to know if you were using the autopilot... If I was in HDG mode on the KAP140, with NAV mode armed, would it have captured the course, since the G1000 didn't provide steering instructions?

We'll find out tomorrow, I guess, if this scenario plays out. At least I'm primed to be ready to turn onto the arc myself if the G1000 doesn't suggest doing so!

By the way, if you're a G1000 flyer and don't already have it, Max Trescott's book is great.

Last edited:
I've yet to fly in IMC by MYSELF in the plane (solo). YET I KNOW THAT I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!! I can nail the approaches every time, and I stay mentally ahead of the airplane. I'm not sure where the nervousness comes from (not flying often enough, perhaps?), but I'm determined to push through it.
I think the apprehension about doing something solo, or for the first time, is fairly common. Even if someone is technically competent, there's a big psychological difference between doing something with an instructor or other experienced pilot on board and doing it solo. It's like working without a safety net. I think that's why there is a solo requirement for students. The most important part of self-confidence is the word "self". Nobody can really give it to you, although they can help.

I think the apprehension about doing something solo, or for the first time, is fairly common. Even if someone is technically competent, there's a big psychological difference between doing something with an instructor or other experienced pilot on board and doing it solo. It's like working without a safety net. I think that's why there is a solo requirement for students. The most important part of self-confidence is the word "self". Nobody can really give it to you, although they can help.

Well said. I think the "without a safety net" is exactly it. I think, though, that you can 'create' that safety net by gradual immersion... find a day with good ceilings (2000' or higher) and good visibility, and VFR at the destination, and go fly solo IMC. You have an out (down!) if you really feel you can't handle it.

Gradually work up to more challenging situations (clouds at both ends, then clouds with light rain, etc.).

Your comment about self-confidence is spot on. I am really looking forward to, sometime THIS YEAR, getting back on this thread to say "I DID IT!!". :)

"which you can use to DME arcs legally"?

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/gps_in_lieu.html#figurea

"DME arcs associated with instrument approaches may be flown using GPS distance, provided the DME transmitter on which the arc is based is identified in the GPS database."

Ron has some info that says something to the effect of GPS is OK to use in lieu of DME *except for* primary lateral navigation, which it is on a DME arc. (Possible exception: WAAS.) I'm pretty sure that's more recent than July 1998, but I dunno.

Ron?

Even here in the southeast, winter actual often means icing. I like icing on my cakes, not on my airplanes :D
My preferred icing conditions are at Krispy Kreme. :D

Wait, that might belong in the thread "Where are you from?" Hmmm... Oh well, another preference of southern pilots!

OK, here's something "unexpected" when I was flying the G1000 trainer tonight. I'll run through it; if you're G1000 familiar let me know what I did wrong, or if that's how it's supposed to work.

I had a flight plan from KAFW to KACT loaded. I loaded (did not activate) the VOR 14 approach with OVFAC as the IAF (the eastern end of the DME ARC).

After passing NELYN intersection inbound, I adjusted my heading to 170 to "simulate" being vectored onto the arc between OVFAC and MAJER. The MFD display showed me headed just about for the center of the arc.

I activated the approach, and the CDI (still set to GPS) swung to point to OVFAC as expected. Next, as the G1000 manual says to do, I pulled up the flight plan, pressed the FMS cursor knob and browsed down to the DME ARC line in the flight plan. I pressed the MENU button, selected "Activate Leg", and hit ENT. That activated the Leg between OVFAC and MAJER in magenta, as expected, and the CDI spun around to point to MAJER.

So far, so good! I expected that the G1000 would give me "Next Desired Track XXX" about 1.5-2.0 miles outside the arc, to join the arc, based on my groundspeed. It did no such thing... it just let me fly through it.

Is that to be expected?

Yes - I'm pretty sure you have to cross OVFAC. I don't think ATC can vector you to a DME arc, only to final. The VTF mode on the Garmin is programmed for that special case (not crossing anything but the FAF) but I'd be willing to bet that it won't recognize vectors to anything else.

Try going direct OVFAC instead of the vector and see what happens.

Yes - I'm pretty sure you have to cross OVFAC. I don't think ATC can vector you to a DME arc, only to final. The VTF mode on the Garmin is programmed for that special case (not crossing anything but the FAF) but I'd be willing to bet that it won't recognize vectors to anything else.

The VTC selection on the G1000 is simply an extended centerline. If you want vectors to some given point on the approach, you have to load the entire approach and intercept that point. The only time I'll fly an entire approach is on an arc, be it practice or the real thing.

Thanks for all the input, Kent.

If you have the flight plan set up with the DME ARC transition loaded for the approach, then choose VTF, the arc goes away entirely (it's not even in the flight plan anymore--you'd have to reload the approach with the arc transition to get it back!) and the GPS draws the extended centerline magenta course to anticipate a vector onto the final approach course.

I need to do some research on the question of whether or not ATC can vector you onto the arc somewhere along the arc other than the IAF; I thought they could, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

I'll try that tonight.

It's clear and sunny outside right now, narry a cloud in site. Looks different for tomorrow. Will get revised FA's and TAF's after 9pm local tonight, but so far this is matching what earlier forecasts said. Moderately low ceilings, good vis. I like that. Should have no issue getting actual IMC.

TAFs for KFTW KACT

KACT 271739Z 271818 17015KT P6SM SCT009
TEMPO 1819 BKN009
FM0600 16014KT 4SM BR OVC015
FM0900 18015KT 3SM BR OVC009

KFTW 271739Z 271818 15015G20KT P6SM SKC
FM0000 15012KT P6SM SCT250
FM0700 16014KT 6SM HZ BKN015 OVC020
FM1000 18015KT 5SM BR BKN008 OVC010

Wow, the forecast sure improved! I'm almost going to have trouble getting IMC! I was really hoping to get to fly these approaches in the clouds at least down inside of the FAF...

KACT Reported: February 28, 2007 at 5:37 AM
Valid From: February 28, 2007 at 6:00 AM
Valid Until: March 1, 2007 at 6:00 AM
# From 6:00 AM: Wind 180° at 15 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Overcast 2500' (MVFR)
# From 8:00 AM: Wind 180° at 15 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 2500' (MVFR)
# From 11:00 AM: Wind 180° at 18 gusting to 25 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 3000' (VFR)
# From 6:00 PM: Wind 180° at 15 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Scattered 3000' (VFR)
# From 3:00 AM: Wind 220° at 18 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Broken 2500' (MVFR)

Lesson learned for future flights: never cancel tomorrow's flight based on today's forecast!

Go have fun! I am gonna stay inside ...

:)

BTW - I have the exact same agreement with my CFII - when the weather gets bad (last Friday), we go fly.

My preferred icing conditions are at Krispy Kreme. :D

Wait, that might belong in the thread "Where are you from?" Hmmm... Oh well, another preference of southern pilots!

Bah. We've had 'em in the great white North for a while now. I think the one in Milwaukee opened in 2000 or 2001. Plus, every truck stop from Seattle to Miami seems to sell 'em now.

Ron has some info that says something to the effect of GPS is OK to use in lieu of DME *except for* primary lateral navigation, which it is on a DME arc. (Possible exception: WAAS.) I'm pretty sure that's more recent than July 1998, but I dunno.

Ron?

This sounds familiar. This is also the way I interpret the AIM when I read that section.

Wow, what a great day. Since I had the day off work, I was able to see my kids off to school, take my wife to breakfast at our favorite Mexican haunt (Dave T and Spike C will know the place in North Fort Worth), and then I got to the airport at 11:30A for our 1pm departure--NO HURRY.

Reviewed weight & balance, density altitude, takeoff and landing performance requirements, etc. Final call to FSS for weather updates, NOTAMS, TFRs. Found out that runway 14/32 at KACT (Waco Regional) was closed, WIE UFN. Also a PIREP of severe turbulence (UUA) from a Beech pilot below 3000 feet. FSS discounted it as a one-off, as no other reports like it had been received, despite the airmet for moderate turbulence below 8000'.

Brad, the assistant chief pilot, who also flies biz jets for a living, was running a little late, so I got the plane preflighted (except for adding fuel), and took my time making sure my approach plates and such were all in order and well organized. It was relaxing to not feel rushed through this process.

While waiting for him to arrive, I pulled up aviationweather.gov and was reviewing PIREPS and METARs, and saw another UUA PIREP from a C172 pilot over FTW (same area as I would be departing) for severe turbulence. This tended to corroborate the earlier Beech pirep, and had a timestamp on it just 20 minutes ago. The winds outside, though 180 17G25, didn't really look all that bad, so when Brad finally showed up at 12:30 local, we decided we'd go fly, just make sure the belts were on tight and carry a little extra speed in the climb (above best rate, but well below Va) for gust factor.

I went over my preflight planning and "the plan" with him, and he said he was going to try to be a disinterested passenger as much as possible, unless he saw something wrong, as this was not an "instruction" flight as much as a "prove I can do this" flight in preparation for future solo IMC.

We fired up the plane, taxiied for fuel, and topped off the tanks. Crossed the active at 52F at Charlie, and joined the only other guy who was flying during the time I was there, a Columbia 400 pilot who was departing IFR. Did the runup and preflight checks, then called clearance delivery on my cell phone for a void time clearance to depart this uncontrolled field.

I received what I'd filed, after a short delay, and having already set up the radios, flight plan, autopilot, and navaids accordingly it only took a moment for us to be ready to depart runway 17. We climbed out, under DFW class Bravo airspace, entering controlled airspace on runway heading and climbing to 2000, enroute to 5000 filed (though we only actually got up to 4000 while southbound).

Contacted Regional Approach as we entered the clouds around 2000', who turned us southeast for a while to avoid other traffic, then cleared us direct NELYN intersection. They climbed us on up to 4000', which put us JUST in the tops of the clouds, very very cool.

Since we'd soon be descending for the GPS 16 approach at Hillsboro, ATC asked if we'd like to just stay at 4000, and since we were in and out of buildups at this altitude and would have been clear at 5000, we chose to stay put.

During this early part of the flight, Brad kept answering the radio calls, jumping ahead of me; he finally apologized for this, saying that his regular co-pilot on the corporate flights is less than stellar, and out of habit he's become a take-control guy. Without my asking, he promised to sit back and observe, only jumping in if I asked or if he saw a problem.

Shortly, we were turned over to Waco approach, at which point we requested vectors for the KINJ (Hillsboro) GPS approach via the EVECE intersection, and were cleared for the approach, present position direct. The approach went well, with me getting to demonstrate something to Brad that he didn't fully understand about the KAP140's interface with the G1000. We broke it off and followed the alternate missed instructions, which had us direct to OVFAC, the IAF on the west arc to the VOR 14 approach. We were solid in the clouds on this whole leg, until inside the FAF, where we gained visual with the airport and were cleared to join right base to runway 19 (as 14/32 was closed).

Full stop taxi back via Charlie - Bravo - Alpha, picked up our new clearance via the ACT.SLUGG5 arrival back to Alliance Fort Worth. Reset the radios and flight plan, and we were off, runway heading, climbing up to 6000. Heard ATC advise that a couple of aircraft inbound to our Waco alternate (KCNW) were going to have to rack & stack, as a P3 Orion had declared an emergency and was getting priority there. Short of the Glen Rose VOR we were cleared direct SLUGG (descend and cross SLUGG at 5000, pilots discretion), then radar vectors to AFW for a hand-flown under the hood approach (as the weather was improving and we broke out descending through 4000).

Flew the ILS down to minimums, then a short VFR hop over to 52F to put the bird away at home.

Total flight time, 3.1. Total IMC, 2.2. 3 approaches. Total cost: $501 and some pennies. Self-confidence value: PRICELESS!

Debrief: Brad spent the entire trip back from ACT with his chair slid fully back and his legs crossed. :) That was a good vote of confidence. He told me afterwards that he had nothing to critique; I was in command of the airplane, ahead of the airplane and the approaches, taught him some things about the G1000 he didn't know, "why are you paying for me to fly in the right seat"? He said he would have no qualms sending me up in the clouds right now with my family or his.

So, I guess I'm all out excuses. He said if there was anything he could do for me, to let him know, otherwise the next time he wanted to hear from me was after I'd flown solo IMC.

He said he was going to keep my number in his cell phone, for those repositioning flights when he needs a body to fill the right seat! YES!!! :)

Anyway, the flight went extremely well, I only felt "behind" the curve a couple of times when things starting happening very fast, but that always seemed to be when ATC asked me to switch frequencies right while I was in the middle of doing something else... a quick reminder to self to "aviate, navigate, THEN communicate" rectified the issue each time.

So, now I'm watching for the right conditions, and I'll report back having done a solo IMC flight. I'm very pumped after today's experience!!! :yes:

Oh, here's a picture from my cell phone between layers:

between_layers.jpg

Last edited:
sounds awesome Troy. Cant wait to meet you in a month!

Huh? You never do a procedure turn or HPILPT? Always vectors to final or an arc? :dunno:
My options around here on the ILS's are vectored as Atlanta TRACON likes to put the practice approaches in sequence with everyone else. The localizer at our airport is a hold in lieu of. So, not really many opportunities for doing a PT. During practice, TRACON will vector me from the previous missed to an intercept on the next approach on our localizer so there's usually no hold on it. I'll usually ask for a randomly assigned fix to hold on while enroute to accomplish that task.

So, not really many opportunities for doing a PT.
I did a procedure turn for real the other day, in the snow, in Wisconsin. Of course, I'm thinking grrrrrrr.... what, no vectors? I'm used to having to do the full approach at some of the airports out here, but I wasn't expecting it in the midwest where I would assume they had better radar coverage.

I wasn't expecting it in the midwest where I would assume they had better radar coverage.

You'd be surprised Mari. Most of Northern Iowa has no radar below about 8000 feet. From what I hear its because of some hills south of Farmington, MN, where MSP Center is at.

FWIW I have certainly gotten spoiled since moving to Ames and getting vectors to the ILS from DSM.

Back