Instrument panel lighting Cessna Cutlass 172RG

Nathan N

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
I hope you all had a lovely thanksgiving.

I’m trying to find out how I can replace specific instrument panel lights (see attached). Regrettably a few of them aren’t functioning in my Cutlass. I’m assuming it’s because the bulbs are dead…

That’s not a photograph of my plane. The lighting which I pointed out looks identical to my RG however.

They are these little pop-out lights... I apologize for the vague description, I’m unsure what to call them

If you can shed some light *zing* on this I’d be indebted.

Thanks,
Nathan

Attachments

• 1D89F405-A915-4C4F-A3F0-84EFAD37ED9E.jpeg
    1D89F405-A915-4C4F-A3F0-84EFAD37ED9E.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 57
if they are ge53, the little bulbs cost between 50 cents and a dollar depending where you get them.

I’ll remove one and will check tomorrow.

Thanks!

Is there an LED version available?

I couldn't find anything online...

Just pull the little light hood off. The bulb is in there. Easy to replace.

The #53 LED bulb is much bigger. The 327 28-volt (or 330 12-volt) is the right bulb.

LEDs won't dim properly either.

Just pull the little light hood off. The bulb is in there. Easy to replace.

The #53 LED bulb is much bigger. The 327 28-volt (or 330 12-volt) is the right bulb.

LEDs won't dim properly either.

This.

Dimming is the issue with LED replacements. LED dimmers typically use pulse width modulation which changes the duty cycle of the pulse on-off ratio and is a very different animal than the OEM dimming circuit for incandescent bulbs. Additionally, the pulses are square waves which are rich in harmonics all the way up to VHF frequencies and can cause RFI.

You are all incredible.

Thanks so much for the knowledge.

I’m going to add you all to my will.

Thanks again,
Nathan

Back