Instrument lesson #2

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Friday night was a good evening for flight here, so we went out for lesson #2. During pre-brief, my instructor explained holds, and told me we would be going to an intersection in the practice area to do fly a holding pattern. After that we would shoot the VOR33 approach under the hood. Also, he announced that the ceiling as "400agl" today, and as soon as we hit 1100msl, I would flip downt he Jepp shades as we entered "the clouds".

Takeoff was fine, and climb to 400agl was fine, and then on the hood. And, then I noticed it was much harder to hold course and maintain wings level, etc. It felt like I was just floundering around for a while. It didn't last long, and by pattern altitude, I seemed to have everything under control. After the usual vectoring around, ATC cut us loose and we proceeded to the crand intersection.

We did the first hold without hood, as Ray wanted me to "see" a hold once before doing it under the hood. After that practice one, I did several, with big improvements with each one. By the end, I was timing my 180 turns and rolling out on time on the correct heading.

Then, we went off and practiced what power settings would give 500 and 1000fpm decents at 90kts. For our loading about 17-1800rpm gave 500fpm, and about 1300rpm gave 1000fpm.

After that, we asked app for the practice approach, and got vectored around a good bit as another aircraft was ahead of us practicing the same approach. Ray constantly asked me if I knew where I was, and I was constantly tuning the OBS to try and determine radial and DME from the VOR.

We then entered the approach, and right after station passage, Ray asked me how I was going to determine the missed point, and I told him the missed was 4.9 DME, and I'd watch that. "You will time it as well", Ray replied, "If mean nasty flight instructor ever determines that you are preferentially using one means over another, he will make sure the one you're using goes away, just like it can in real life." Ok, point made, I both timed it and watched DME.

He then told me we had broken out of the clouds, the runway was in sight, and we could land. I flip up the foggles, and find myself pretty far to the left of centerline, and of course at MDA, and fairly close. A qiuck right turn, then back to centerline, power almost off, put in full flaps. Then Ray says, "Would you look at that short runway, your runway ends at the first turnoff, please execute a short field landing. So, I pitched up, got the airspeed back to about 55kts, and played the throttle. Over the fence, back to 50kts, got it down, heavy braking, and made the first turnoff (about 800ft from threshold)

A good workout, and a satisfying lesson.

I like your instructor. It sounds like he is giving you a good mix of the basics and some more advanced stuff right from the get-go. You will have a lot of fun flying with this guy and hopefully he will turn you in to a very competent instrument pilot.
Stephen.

Bill, thank you again for posting your IFR lesson experiences. You really are doing a service to everyone on the board, including the CFI-IAs.

Regarding the slight "disorientation" you noted as you go under the hood (or into the real clouds for that matter), this phenomenon will always be briefly present although it will diminish somewhat with practice. Remember it and always plan accordingly. The transition point between visual flight and instrument flight is always near mental overload for some brief period of time. While it gets easier with practice it never completely disappears. You don't want to be fumbling for frequencies & charts during that brief transition, especially low to the ground, so always plan accordingly.

Ed Guthrie said:
While it gets easier with practice it never completely disappears. You don't want to be fumbling for frequencies & charts during that brief transition, especially low to the ground, so always plan accordingly.

Oh, yeah, Ray was on me the whole way in on the approach. What is going to happen next? Are you ready for the next frequency change (handoff to tower)? Is the aircraft configured correctly? Is the landing checklist complete? etc etc etc. Never ending bombardment.

So many questions, when I'm just trying to keep the airplane on the radial at the right altitude ;-)

My instrument instructor absolutely grilled me. Took me a few lessons to adapt to it, but I'm glad that he did. Now when I fly and something isn't perfect, I'm always thinking "Come on... I can do better than this..." There was something about an instrument rating that really makes you feel like you know how to fly. :)

It's good that your instructor is putting you through these various drills. Especially if they're making you land from MDA or DH.

Bill Jennings said:
Friday night was a good evening for flight here, so we went out for lesson #2. During pre-brief, my instructor explained holds, and told me we would be going to an intersection in the practice area to do fly a holding pattern. After that we would shoot the VOR33 approach under the hood. Also, he announced that the ceiling as "400agl" today, and as soon as we hit 1100msl, I would flip downt he Jepp shades as we entered "the clouds".

Takeoff was fine, and climb to 400agl was fine, and then on the hood. And, then I noticed it was much harder to hold course and maintain wings level, etc. It felt like I was just floundering around for a while. It didn't last long, and by pattern altitude, I seemed to have everything under control. After the usual vectoring around, ATC cut us loose and we proceeded to the crand intersection.

We did the first hold without hood, as Ray wanted me to "see" a hold once before doing it under the hood. After that practice one, I did several, with big improvements with each one. By the end, I was timing my 180 turns and rolling out on time on the correct heading.

Then, we went off and practiced what power settings would give 500 and 1000fpm decents at 90kts. For our loading about 17-1800rpm gave 500fpm, and about 1300rpm gave 1000fpm.

After that, we asked app for the practice approach, and got vectored around a good bit as another aircraft was ahead of us practicing the same approach. Ray constantly asked me if I knew where I was, and I was constantly tuning the OBS to try and determine radial and DME from the VOR.

We then entered the approach, and right after station passage, Ray asked me how I was going to determine the missed point, and I told him the missed was 4.9 DME, and I'd watch that. "You will time it as well", Ray replied, "If mean nasty flight instructor ever determines that you are preferentially using one means over another, he will make sure the one you're using goes away, just like it can in real life." Ok, point made, I both timed it and watched DME.

He then told me we had broken out of the clouds, the runway was in sight, and we could land. I flip up the foggles, and find myself pretty far to the left of centerline, and of course at MDA, and fairly close. A qiuck right turn, then back to centerline, power almost off, put in full flaps. Then Ray says, "Would you look at that short runway, your runway ends at the first turnoff, please execute a short field landing. So, I pitched up, got the airspeed back to about 55kts, and played the throttle. Over the fence, back to 50kts, got it down, heavy braking, and made the first turnoff (about 800ft from threshold)

A good workout, and a satisfying lesson.

It sure looks like you have yourself a good CFII. It makes it hard at first but a fun challange in the end. And best of all he will make you a great pilot. Keep posting your experiance as it is a very good reminder for me and I am sure a lot of others.

Bill Jennings said:
Oh, yeah, Ray was on me the whole way in on the approach. What is going to happen next? Are you ready for the next frequency change (handoff to tower)? Is the aircraft configured correctly? Is the landing checklist complete? etc etc etc. Never ending bombardment.

So many questions, when I'm just trying to keep the airplane on the radial at the right altitude ;-)
When I did CFI, my instructor's motto was "NO straight and level for you!" What he meant was, "AHA!" an empty spot on your plate. Now I'm just going to fill it with..... :)

sere said:
It sure looks like you have yourself a good CFII.

He's the same fellow I used for my primary training. I though long and hard about switching (thinking it would be good to get another instructors view on things), but in the end I stayed with Ray. He is very professional, very thorough, been flying for 40yrs and teaching for 20, and knows his stuff. He's also a retired ATC, so he knows the system from both sides, and that is helpful.

Ray was fantastic for primary, and he's already grilling me and loading up the plate on IR. I was also lucky to find an ex-naval aviator and 20,000hr retired ATP CFII as my aerobatics instructor. I've been blessed to learn from some very good folks. Life is good!

Back