Instrument Ground School (Plane vs. Helicopter)

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
Is the Instrument written a different test for a fixed wing vs a rotary wing?

A local Community College is offering the following:

INSTRUMENT HELICOPTER GROUND

The Instrument rating Ground School for helicopter prepares students for the FAA Instrument knowledge test and an FAA Instrument Rating. This course includes an in-depth study of aircraft fl ight instruments, basic attitude instrument fl ying, IFR navigation systems and procedures, aviation weather, applicable Federal Aviation Regulations and the required instrument charts for IFR flight.

I was looking at options for an Instrument class.

There are a few questions specific to the helicopter for the Instrument Written. If you were to miss each and everyone of those questions and get the rest correct, you would probably still pass.

BTW... Does the FAA still require the helicopter instrument written for CFII??

Is the Instrument written a different test for a fixed wing vs a rotary wing?

yes, helicopters can make visibility reductions, have different planning/alternate rules, Point In Space approaches, COPTER approaches, etc, etc

yes, helicopters can make visibility reductions, have different planning/alternate rules, Point In Space approaches, COPTER approaches, etc, etc

Is it a different written test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The instrument rating written is different as described for helicopter and airplane. Drill and kill for the one you're are taking or just be willing to write off the few questions you didn't study (actually, if you study for helo, I think you'll get everything you need for airplane). The Instrument Flight Instructor and the Instrument Ground Instructor pull from pools with questions for either category.

Back