Instrument flying in Russia

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Does Russia have their own version of TERPS? I know they have GLONASS, so I assume they also have GLONASS approaches into airports.

Is there a website where all of their airports are listed?

Last edited:
I love those Russian dual NDB approaches- an elegant and very simple system, reliable, effective.

Yep.

You have two ADF receivers, with an indicator which has two ADF needles (like a RMI indicator), and as long as the two needles are lined up, you're in line with the runway. In the approach you showed, your step down fix is identified by station passage on the first NDB, and your missed approach point by station passage on the second.

Other dual NDB approaches I have seen in Eastern Bloc countries have an NDB in line with the runway, at an appropriate missed approach point on both ends, thus allowing for the two NDBs to be used to create useful approaches on both ends of the runway. These, of course, require appropriate terrain.

Again, I love the simplicity of this design, most notably, the relatively low maintenance burden for the ground equipment.

I love those Russian dual NDB approaches- an elegant and very simple system, reliable, effective.

The old joke: NASA spent a million dollars developing a pen that could write in space, the Russians used a pencil.

True story: My airline flew into a former Russian republic in the late 1990's. To device planes, they used a hot air system where a jet engine was mounted on a truck. There was a duct to direct the exhaust on to the surface of the plane. A former military pilot captain was telling us how crude the system was. I reminded him that Siberia is in Russia. If it worked there, I bet it would work here. Of course, we couldn't use it anyway.

Back