Instrument Flight Procedures (IFP) Production Plan

Some new DPs and STARs coming to AUS.

We actually teach them in IR training unlike what I encountered in the past.

Some new DPs and STARs coming to AUS.

We actually teach them in IR training unlike what I encountered in the past.

ODPs are used often here, DPs, rarely, and STARS never (radar coverage everywhere)

It's good to train/understand/practice, but I don't expect to use STARs.

ODPs are used often here, DPs, rarely, and STARS never (radar coverage everywhere)

It's good to train/understand/practice, but I don't expect to use STARs.

I've found that STAR usage for GA is very geographic. Into Houston (and Dallas IIRC) you just about always get one, AFaIK there are none into the relievers around Minneapolis, and in any case I've never gotten one here. When I was flying regularly into Pontiac MI, I'd get one about half the time.

WRT DPs, out of my home base you will always get one if you file above 7000 MSL, never if you file 7000 or lower. This makes no sense to me because I almost always get cleared direct to destination once I'm clear of the MSP Class B and regardless of my filed altitude it's rare that I get above 7000 before then. On top of that, the DPs all take you to the MSP vor (located at the big airport) as the first waypoint in the procedure and they always have to modify the DP to eliminate that in your takeoff clearance.

I flew a STAR into Kansas City International and a SID out about a week ago. Nothing too surprising about them.

I've found that STAR usage for GA is very geographic. Into Houston (and Dallas IIRC) you just about always get one, AFaIK there are none into the relievers around Minneapolis, and in any case I've never gotten one here. When I was flying regularly into Pontiac MI, I'd get one about half the time.

WRT DPs, out of my home base you will always get one if you file above 7000 MSL, never if you file 7000 or lower. This makes no sense to me because I almost always get cleared direct to destination once I'm clear of the MSP Class B and regardless of my filed altitude it's rare that I get above 7000 before then. On top of that, the DPs all take you to the MSP vor (located at the big airport) as the first waypoint in the procedure and they always have to modify the DP to eliminate that in your takeoff clearance.

Very true. IFR flights into TEB, BWI, ISP, CLT, and DC area airports all were radar vectors (despite STAR availability).

I'm not complaining -- the distances on most STARS would add some time to nearly every trip.

Back