Instrument Currency

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well my 6 months stuff expires in two days, so I wrangled my friendly CFII and took the advice of many on the board and decided to do an IPC.
Took off from Green Castle and tracked outbound on a radial from Cedar Rapids to the practice area, once there did some turns, steep turns, slow flight, power off stall recovery, then did some turns to headings partial panel. Then my friendly CFII set me up with an intersection hold, partial panel. I figured out the entry and got set up pretty nice, after a couple turns of that we headed to the Iowa City VOR for a VOR/DME 36 approach. It went well, I deviated to the right some on the inbound but got it back and was in decent position at the missed.

After that we got vectors to the ILS 27 and i got my vacuum instruments back. Took advantage of the wing leveler in this 172 to get the approach plate switched and brief myself. Rode it down perfectly, then went missed and vectors back around for the VOR 27. That also went well, timed to the missed came out a little short of the runway, but all in all was a good flight. Went missed from that, turned south and headed back to green castle. Got to take off Foggles!

Made a nice landing, and shut down with 1.7. Got signed off for IPC and finished up my 1st phase of wings program.

Congratulations! I agree, that close to the end of currency, going up with a CFII is the best way to go. Were any of these areas that you've traditionally been weak in? I presume you have to do some of this from the other seat when training primary students.

FWIW, the examiner I use won't allow Foggles. She says she's had bad results from students who did their training with them.

gprellwitz said:
Congratulations! I agree, that close to the end of currency, going up with a CFII is the best way to go. Were any of these areas that you've traditionally been weak in? I presume you have to do some of this from the other seat when training primary students.

FWIW, the examiner I use won't allow Foggles. She says she's had bad results from students who did their training with them.

Ive never felt too cheated be foggles. I couldn't say that ive been traditionally weak in any of those areas. When I got my rating I was pretty sharp on all of it. The problem was, I havent actually performed a lot of the tasks for a while. Last time for most of it was my CFII ride 2 years ago. I have been teaching the stuff occasionally with a few instrument students, but it had been a long time since I actually performed it, so it was nice to know that I still could. So all in all it was a great opportunity to make sure I still have the skills.

Sounds like a nice, smooth IPC--one that we'd we all like to have!

How could it expire in 2 days? 2 days is the 24th, not the 31st.

heh good point ed. For some reason i thought that the currency was within the preceding 6 months, not 6 calendar months. i really shoulda know that, guess i have just gotten away with saying "last 6 months" for too long.

Man, CFI's these days, I'll tell ya. :)

hahaha no kidding! how did this guy get his ticket?
edit: actually its probably cause im one of those young kids who knows everything!;)

Back