Instrument currency and proficiency for a mostly-VFR pilot

tangopapa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tangopapa
I am neither an IFR pilot nor an IFR student (private pilot student), but was able to get in some actual with my instructor this morning, and it really gave me an itch to get that instrument rating after I get my private. We had an overcast day with somewhat-low ceilings and got a pop up clearance. It was kind of a rush being able to punch through the layer, and made me realize how useful a tool an instrument rating could be.

My question is this (I'm sure it's been asked before but I like to start new dialogue): How many of you instrument pilots fly VFR most of the time? And how does one practically go about maintaining currency and proficiency? My thought is I would fly VFR when conditions permit and shoot at least a couple instrument approaches a month in VFR weather in order to not get too rusty. Your thoughts?

I actually have a mission, too...My wife-to-be's parents live north of us, about a 4 hour drive. A direct flight there cuts that down to about 90 minutes for me. Instrument rating would help make weather factors less prohibitive.

I am neither an IFR pilot nor an IFR student (private pilot student), but was able to get in some actual with my instructor this morning, and it really gave me an itch to get that instrument rating after I get my private. We had an overcast day with somewhat-low ceilings and got a pop up clearance. It was kind of a rush being able to punch through the layer, and made me realize how useful a tool an instrument rating could be.

That, it most definitely is... And I usually use it the way you did: Pop through a layer, cruise on top, pop back down either with or without an approach. I've only done the full flight in actual a few times, it's pretty rare that the layers are really thick.

My question is this (I'm sure it's been asked before but I like to start new dialogue): How many of you instrument pilots fly VFR most of the time? And how does one practically go about maintaining currency and proficiency? My thought is I would fly VFR when conditions permit and shoot at least a couple instrument approaches a month in VFR weather in order to not get too rusty. Your thoughts?

I fly VFR most of the time, unless weather or operational factors (like flying over the lake and wanting to be squawking and talking with somebody) dictate otherwise.

To maintain currency and proficiency - Well, fly a lot. At around 150 hours a year I can maintain currency by shooting enough approaches maybe half the time, but I get IPC's most of the time anyway. A good workout from a good CFII every 6 months is a good thing. Even flying VFR frequently just to keep your basic flying skills up will help. I don't think shooting approaches in VMC helps much, though, unless your biggest problem is briefing approaches in flight or just going through the steps necessary to shoot an approach. For me, the thing I need exercised most is actual instrument flying (both the "being on the gauges" part and the "I have zero visual cues from outside" part) - And the hood is a poor substitute, so I go and find actual whenever I can.

I actually have a mission, too...My wife-to-be's parents live north of us, about a 4 hour drive. A direct flight there cuts that down to about 90 minutes for me. Instrument rating would help make weather factors less prohibitive.

It certainly helps a LOT. However, sometimes it actually makes the go/no-go decision harder, not easier. It'll certainly increase the percentage of times you can make the trip, though.

Much of my flying is in VMC conditions. Only trips are done in IMC, often in short spurts. A recent trip was 2.3 hours outbound, and I logged 0.2 actual. I like to note the time I enter IMC on my kneeboard each time, unless I can tell that it will be 5 seconds going through one cloud. [That's not always easy to tell, some of those 5-second clouds turn into several minutes.]

I've only had a couple of trips with sustained hour-plus IMC.

As you pursue your Instrument training, and especially after you complete it, you will learn that there is a difference between "Currency" and "Proficiency." I don't fly enough approaches in actual for either, but that's where safety pilots come in. Sometimes I make special currency flights and shoot several approaches, but it's nicer to shoot a practice approach while making a food run somewhere.

Whenever I travel very far, I like being on an IFR flight plan. That forces me to fly within limits and follow the same procedures regardless of weather conditions, so that it's not such a rude shock when IMC. The rules for VFR allow much more slack, but IFR rules are much tighter. Learn to fly precisely, then do it every time, not just when you have to.

Earlier this year, although Current, I was not feeling very Proficient, so I grabbed a safety pilot, put on my foggles and headed for the practice area and worked on aircraft control & maneuvers. Your CFII can give you a sheet of recommended patterns to fly. This was in January, after a September IPC, and not having seen the inside of a cloud since October. I was glad for the chance to work off the rust in good conditions with someone who could help if needed [no help required, but I did improve that day].

Another important part of the training is weather, how to read forecasts, how to make the go/no-go decision when "VFR not recommended" is not an important factor. What will you fly into? What will you fly over? What becomes the new Flight Canceled conditions? How do you tell what is happening, what might happen, and decide if that's good enough to fly in/through or not? And of course, Aeronautical Decision Making becomes much more important.

I got my instrument rating last year, and I've logged perhaps 1-2 actual hours out of 45 hours flown. My trip from my base to another airport is done using IFR rules. Even if VMC for me it's a great way to stay fresh on the rules, and should I encounter IMC the transition then becomes seamless.

I have found its easier to fly in actual IMC than it is to fly under the foggles, so I use the foggles to practice whenever I have the chance.

My thought is I would fly VFR when conditions permit and shoot at least a couple instrument approaches a month in VFR weather in order to not get too rusty.
Well, my rule is to get flight following or to file IFR on every cross-country flight. WX is usually VFR but I like to have ATC a mic click away and watching out for me. No "unprotected VFR" in other words. It also is easier if I have a layer close up on me and I have to get through it at the destination. IFR it's no issue, FF it takes one transmission to request and get a clearance because I already have a squawk and ATC has a tagged target and a strip.

"A couple of approaches a month" is fine if you mean under the hood, working with ATC. No hood, no ATC you are wasting your time. Better yet is going up in IMC whenever you can and flying approaches with a CFI or a good instrument pilot in the right seat.

Re "... the hood is a poor substitute, so I go and find actual whenever I can." I think this varies by individual. I find IMC easier/less stressful than flying under a hood. I don't know why but that's the case.

I think I end up in IMC for more than a few minutes on about 25% of my "true" xc flights (i.e other than hamburger runs or trips to nearby airports) but it's very rare for me to be in the clouds for most of a trip. I tend to avoid staying in the clouds when I can simply because it's usually smoother in the clear and in winter this minimizes icing issues.

I file and fly IFR on pretty much any trip more than 30 minutes long, in fact I tend to get a little uncomfortable on the rare occasions when I'm flying VFR a long way from home just because that's something I don't do very often. Flying most trips IFR keeps me "current" on all of the "system" aspects of IFR flying (talking to ATC, planning for options, managing the airplane and avionics, etc) so actually flying on the gauges and following procedures is pretty much the only routine things I need to do in practice (which allows me to focus on abnormal conditions during IPCs, sim training, and other "practice" IFR.

As to the currency aspect, IME the duration and frequency of practice varies inversely with experience. When I first started flying IMC I felt I needed at least a couple of real or practice approaches each month to be comfortable and only felt "on top of the game" if I'd flown one or two within the previous week. 25 years later I can still tell when I haven't flown an approach in the last 3 months but even after 6 months I'm confident I can deal with most anything that comes my way IMC wise including minimum weather conditions upon arrival.

The one area I think gets less attention than it deserves is that of IMC departures. This is something many pilots never do for practice and some may go for years before launching into low ceilings and or visibility and I suspect the relative lack of related accidents is ironically due to the fairly low exposure level which creates the problem in the first place. Two major factors in the potential for problems on a departure (besides the lack of experience there) are the immediate need for a good scan and the more serious ramifications of many failures. Many pilots feel noticeable disorientation each time they punch into a cloud the first time on a flight and if that happens at 100-200 AGL you've got little margin for mistakes. Throw in some turbulence and/or somatogravic illusions and things can get out of hand quickly. And things like power loss, instrument failures, or electrical failures when you're close to the ground during an approach can often run from annoying to ho-hum but if the engine misses a beat, your ASI pitot freezes up, or a vacuum pump goes poof shortly after you enter a cloud on takeoff, a bad outcome is about one mistake away.

Having an IR and maintaining currency (or better yet competency) makes an airplane more of a tool than a toy. I've never been delayed more than a single day due to weather and even that's rare. Pre IR I'd been stuck more than once for several days waiting for things to improve.

You'll also find that a maintained IR reduces anxiety both in the air and on the ground even though you'll find that with an IR you actually have to pay more attention to weather than without it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies... am traveling (making that 4 hour drive up north...sigh) but will read these later. Have a happy 4th everyone!

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Some good comments here. For me, 80% of my flying is IFR in VMC. I find IFR much easier than VFR. Once you get comfortable talking to ATC I've found them to be quite helpful. Being based in the DC SFRA it's much simpler just to file and fly. I also do an IPC annually in the fall and a flight review each spring so I'm always compliant for currency and have someone keeping me from developing bad habits.

Of all my cross-countries post-instrument training, I've had about four where I actually used it. Only one flight ended with an approach.
I don't fly enough to maintain currency, so instead I go the IPC route with a CFII.

My summary for wannabe IR's is that for any VFR trip you need good weather at the point of origin, along the way and at destination. Any WX glitch at any of the three can scrub your flight or cause significant heart-burn if you go.

With the IR, marginal VFR or down to traffic-pattern IFR at any of the locations is a ho-hum assuming there's no ice or convective in the clouds. IR pilots in the middle of the country all know that IMC is difficult to find if they want to practice, and that a very high percentage of their flying will most-likely be VMC.

The peace of mind that comes with the IR simply can't be overstated insofar as being able to go when you want to go.

After gaining my instrument rating I file IFR on anything going out of the Atlanta area. I really like being in the system and having them look out for active MOA's, TFR's, and other restricted areas. They are also looking out for other traffic. But the best thing is to get in the habit of what the communications will be like.

I have flown some heavy IMC flights. But none near thunderstorms or icing. I got the ticket for those overcast days with a thousand foot layer. Just punch through and enjoy the sunshine.

For currency I will look for those days with an overcast layer without really low ceilings. I would much rather do it in actual using the system. i have foggles, but have not used them since I got the IR. On one recent trip I screwed up on some items and was not happy with myself. No rules broken, just not very smooth. So a few days later when the weather was overcast again I went back and did the same thing over.

Went up this week as a safety pilot with a local guy working through his rating. He used the foggles as we wanted to stay visual. He really did a great job. And in its own way it helps with my proficiency as I follow his procedures and actions.

Get the rating. It is really worth it if you are going to do any serious flying.

I fly regularily, both VFR and IFR, and use whichever rules are advantageous for that particular flight. When VFR, I always use flight following.

I accumulate a fair amount of time in IMC, as well as plenty of "real" IFR approaches.

For currency purposes, every three months I schedule time with another pilot and knock out three approaches each (along with holds and intercepting and tracking courses). Generally we'll do this at night and fly the approach to landing. That we we have our minimum IFR and night currency requirements out of the way.

For currency I will look for those days with an overcast layer without really low ceilings. I would much rather do it in actual using the system. i have foggles, but have not used them since I got the IR. On one recent trip I screwed up on some items and was not happy with myself. No rules broken, just not very smooth. So a few days later when the weather was overcast again I went back and did the same thing over.
This is what I've been doing, too. And I had that "not very smooth" experience as well, the first solo "hard IFR" practice flight I took after the checkride. Since then I've been primed to go up at a moment's notice, and study the weather every time there's IFR conditions forecast. My last time was about a month ago, and I'm overdue by my standards. Actual is easier than simulated though, so for that reason I've been looking for a safety pilot to exchange time with. For that reason, and also because it's really hard to find good low weather to practice in here. It's either icy, or convective, or too low to get back in to home field, which does not have a precision approach.

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be about instrument training and staying proficient when you're not instrument rated. I'm all in favor of that too. Unless you're so conservative that you stay home whenever it's less than CAVU, you'll eventually wind up in conditions where you need those instrument skills. You don't have to fly into a cloud, either, as JFK Jr. found out. The rating will give you many more options, but the skills are important from a safety standpoint even if you never plan to file IFR.

Living in Florida, I obtained my IFR rating right after I got my VFR rating. Like others I fly anything other than local puddle hopping on an IFR plan. I live on the west coast of FL and have family and a house on the east coast and anytime I do the west coast east coast flight I fly IFR. Currency is based on approaches and holding as opposed to hours in IMC, and though I have spent quite a bit of time in the clouds(I seem to have a tendency to pick altitudes where there are clouds) en route, I have never made an approach even close to minimums(the closest has been about 500 feet above minimums) in actual IMC(though have made quite a few in actual IMC though not to minimums) as opposed to the foggles. Unfortunately, my experience has convinced me that actual IMC is a completely different animal than simulated. It is rare to have much chop in simulated IMC, whereas when I have been in actual IMC there is often chop, and occasionally rain. The presence of the chop makes the experience somewhat different as you can imagine. Like others even though I have been able to fulfill the currency requirements for the rating I do an IPC every 6 months.

Some good comments here. For me, 80% of my flying is IFR in VMC. I find IFR much easier than VFR. Once you get comfortable talking to ATC I've found them to be quite helpful. Being based in the DC SFRA it's much simpler just to file and fly. I also do an IPC annually in the fall and a flight review each spring so I'm always compliant for currency and have someone keeping me from developing bad habits.
Totally agree. Especially about IFR being easier. Just about 100% of my flying is cross country and just about 100% is flown IFR. There are a few situations where VFR is an advantage (often in transiting a busy Class B) but not many.

Of course 80%+ of my flying is VMC so bring good sunglasses, nothing is brighter than VMC above a cloud deck.

The biggest challenge is proficiency. Most of my 'local' flights are training flights in actual where I'll do 2 or 3 airports.

Having a mission and flying it is the best thing of all.

A lot of good advices in this thread. I'm weekend warrior flying for pleasure with my family and friends 99% of the time. I use my Instrumental rating mostly to punch through the layer of clouds. 2 or 3 hours of hard IFR is not an option for my pax. If conditions require that I would rather cancel the flight.
To stay proficient I fly my home sim one a week at least. That helps a lot with procedures. Every 6 month regardless of the number of approaches flown I do IPC. When flying VFR I always request flight following - helps with communication skills and in case I need it I can always request IFR clearance right away and get it quick since ATC knows about me and I'm on discrete squawk code. In many cases having rating helps with self confidence and gives an option if weather at destination changes to the worth during 3 hours flight.

Flying some good hours is really #1

I'll shoot some practice approaches, I get a little IMC time here and there and always go above and beyond my 6 in 6 months.

Also, flying FSX flight sim with a Satek yoke and pedals I got off ebay is a good way to run procedures and shoot some illegal low approaches. It's not a real plane, but I think it helps a little, enough to make the $75 yoke, peddals and software off Craigslist worth it.

As a IFR & VFR pilot one needs to keep BOTH skill sets sharp, they are both important (I would say good VFR skills are almost more important).

Last edited:
I originally got my private and instrument rating because I've been an A&P since the late 70's and now work as an Avionics Engineer at an airline too (I also got a BSEE).

As a pilot, the instrument rating really opened up my understanding of how to get so much more value out of all of my instruments.

It really has helped me professionally too. Just last week, I spent some free time going through the training on how to enter a flight plan into a Honeywell Pegasus FMS (used on our 757s). Before I went through instrument the training, it would an incomprehensible exercise.

There is nothing like knowiing what's going on when dealing with the really tough problems. At work, I am called on to help resolve issues with this equipment across 4 fleets fleets of airplanes (757, 777, MD-10/11 and A300/A310s). I simply can't know enough, for my job.

I try to go beyond nominal currency requirements by flying one at least one instrument approach flight a month (VOR, RNAV, ILS and a hold). I don't get much actual.

Ultimately, I plan to buy a Citabria airplane for local stick and rudder joyriding (mornings before work would be great).

I do plan to maintain IFR currency, and I like traveling to other cities for big folk dances a lot.

I do think the only realistic way to really make cross country flying part of your life is to own an IFR aircraft. That's because you really rack up the hours when you start seriously traveling and the scheduling considerations with rentals make trips so complicated.

Staying IFR current in rentals really got complicated. At any given week, any of the local rental aircraft could be down. So, I'm always changing up aircraft types and equipment, C182, DA40, C172, PA-28, some with traditional instruments, some with G1000, G530s, or Allied Signal KLN-94s.

The constant review, along with the rest of life (I just got called to work a 6-6 shift for a co-worker) really keeps me from making much progress on the last rating I wanted to get, before buying (a Commercial). And I'm really within reach too.

To your question, if you plan to keep flying, I think it's in your best interest to keep building your knowledge. For me a lot of the reviews , and endorsements have also been really good reasons to fly too!

Still, I'm a techie that loves flying and understanding as much as I can about the gear.

Last edited:
After gaining my instrument rating I file IFR on anything going out of the Atlanta area. I really like being in the system and having them look out for active MOA's, TFR's, and other restricted areas. They are also looking out for other traffic.

Be careful here - If you're IFR and fly into airspace you're not supposed to be in, ATC is not going to be the one getting in trouble, you are. Also, ATC only separates IFR traffic from IFR traffic - Everything else is "workload permitting". So if you're flying IFR in VMC, be sure you're not relying on ATC to separate you from VFR traffic. Ya still gotta look out the window.

For currency I will look for those days with an overcast layer without really low ceilings. I would much rather do it in actual using the system. i have foggles, but have not used them since I got the IR.

Why not really low ceilings? Shooting approaches to 1200 AGL doesn't help you nearly as much as shooting them to minimums. If I'm going up in actual solely for practice purposes (vs. going somewhere specific on a trip), I look for the *lowest* ceilings I can find. I've still never had to miss an approach on these practice trips, but I get down to 300 feet fairly often. (The only time I've ever had to miss in actual was on a trip.)

Get the rating. It is really worth it if you are going to do any serious flying.

Amen! As long as you mean "travel flying" anyway - Someone who's interested in, say, serious aerobatic flying isn't going to get much use out of the IR. ;)

Back