Instrument checkride with my CFII as examiner?

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
I'm about 2/3 of the way through my instrument training, using my club CFII as my instructor. He is a fairly new examiner, appointed maybe 18 months ago. He's been instructing forever, has in excess of 10,000 hours, and in my mind, is a good instructor.

He's just assuming I will use him for my instrument checkride. I'm not sure whether that's the best idea though. I had just sort of assumed I'd use the same examiner I used for my PP a few years ago. He's based at another airport, and has been a DPE for many years. I was terrified of my practical exam as a private pilot candidate, and the guy made it as stress-free as possible, almost pleasant, and I even learned a couple things.

I'm afraid my current CFII hasn't been an examiner all that long, and may still be under close scrutiny at the FSDO, and may be more wary of passing candidates too readily. Plus, he knows all my weak points, which I'm pretty sure he'd be inclined to focus on during a checkride!

Pilots who've used him as their examiner report he's quite strict, very much by the book, with no extraneous conversation whatsoever. Although he's not at all that way as an instructor, he quite obviously takes a different approach when wearing his DPE hat. I'm certainly not looking for a pencil-whipped exam, but neither do I want to make it any harder/stressful than it has to be. And yes, the PTS is what it is, but we all know examiners have a fair amount of flexibility.

I'm pretty sure he'd be all butt-hurt if I announced I was not going to use his as my instrument DPE, but on the other hand, I'm just not convinced it's the greatest idea. What do you all think?

I'm not sure your CFII is allowed to conduct the checkride. You may want to contact the FSDO. And if you were happy with the PPL DE, go with him.

I'm not sure your CFII is allowed to conduct the checkride. You may want to contact the FSDO. And if you were happy with the PPL DE, go with him.

He is, as long as another CFII provides the three hours of checkride prep and the signoff.

He is, as long as another CFII provides the three hours of checkride prep and the signoff.

That's what I was told by a DPE who is my secondary instructor. He told me that:

1. He can't sign me off for the check ride, and then be the DPE.

2. He can't be my CFII within the last 3 hours.

Thanks

Arthur

It's your ticket, your money, and your call. You're well within your right to have him take you all the way and then use the other examiner.

If you're planning on using the other examiner, use the other examiner and let your instructor know. Most of the DPEs within a FSDO region know each other and don't try to compete. Personally I still consider it a conflict of interest if the instructor who did the majority of your training is also your examiner, even if it is OK by the FAA as described above.

I would use a different DPE. No matter how well you fly ,looking in from the outside seems to be a conflict.

If he is your CFI, you spend a lot of time with him. It should be fairly easy to tell if it will be an easy checkride to pass or not. He would tell you during training if you are not ready.

Id see it as a bit of a relief.

I would use a different DPE. No matter how well you fly ,looking in from the outside seems to be a conflict.

I agree with this.

Use the other guy, you already like him. He doesn't know what you do or don't know, which will give you a more neutral playing field going into the practical test. IMO.

I'm pretty sure he'd be all butt-hurt if I announced I was not going to use his as my instrument DPE, but on the other hand, I'm just not convinced it's the greatest idea. What do you all think?

But he won't be butt-hurt by having someone else do the 3 hours of prep and give you your endorsement? Seems like a toss-up to me.

I wouldn't do it.... He signs you off, you fail something, he looks like a fool and you are ****ed about it.

Or, he gives you a new ticket and something happens shortly after. Now it looks like a sweetheart deal and here come the lawyers.

I am in a similar situation working on my commercial. If he tells me to go to another cfi for my signoff I feel I'll be more qualified then another pilot for the checkride. I plan on using this same cfi to prepare me for cfi checkride, which I am required to take with a different DPE.

I would take your checkride with your instructor.

That's what I was told by a DPE who is my secondary instructor. He told me that:

1. He can't sign me off for the check ride, and then be the DPE.
Correct.

2. He can't be my CFII within the last 3 hours.
Not correct -- I've seen nothing like that in FAA Order 8900.2. The only limitation is that the logbook endorsement and 8710-1 certification have to come from someone else. If someone can do that in less than three hours, mighty fine. And there is nothing prohibiting you from practicing with that examiner after the sign-off but before the practical test begins.

Not correct -- I've seen nothing like that in FAA Order 8900.2. The only limitation is that the logbook endorsement and 8710-1 certification have to come from someone else. If someone can do that in less than three hours, mighty fine.

From FAA Order 8900.2

8. Testing Applicants Trained by the Examiner.
Except as noted in paragraphs 8a, 8b, and 8c below, an examiner who trains an applicant for a certificate or rating may only test that applicant if another instructor has given the applicant at least 3 hours of flight instruction and is the recommending instructor (1.5 hours if the test is in a glider or balloon; 1.0 hours if the test is in a powered parachute; 2.0 hours if the test is in all other light sport aircraft categories). An examiner may also test an applicant trained by that examiner for an additional aircraft class rating if the applicant has obtained the written recommendation of another CFI who has personally checked the applicant and found the applicant prepared for the practical test.

Last edited:
Back