Instrument Checkride Recap

Kitch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kitch
Just a quickish recap of my IFR checkride for those interested...

I started my instrument training in October of 2022 with an independent cfii in my airplane. I took and passed my checkride on July 1 with 42ish hours of a combo of simulated and actual conditions. For my ground school I did Sporty's along with Sheppard to prep for the written which I got an 88 on. If I had followed Sheppards format to the letter I would have gotten at least a 90 but I just couldn't do anymore reading and cramming so I said screw it I'll give it a go. I'm more of a hands on learner than a reading learner. As I was getting closer in order to try to avoid the dreaded 6 week wait I made contact with the DPE who was scheduled to be back from Florida mid June. He advised let him know when I was signed off and he would get me in within 2 weeks (same DPE I did my PPL with and a phenomenal guy). I contact him on June 16 he says lets plan on July 1 I'll contact you midweek before to discuss. I talked to him on Thursday AM prior. He says plan a XC PYM-SYR freezing level 5000 tops 7000 400-2@ PYM 700-3@SYR gives me his weight and says see you Saturday at 1300 excellent. I email him my basicmed, pilot cert, written test results, and submit application on IACRA.
I got to the airport early on Saturday to give the airplane a once over and do a little cleaning. We meet up early and get started. Got the paperwork out of the way and away we go. We talked about currency both VFR & IFR and proficiency for both as well. From there we moved right into weather products what do I use to plan with etc what other ways are available that I may not be using. Then on the the XC plan we talked about clouds and freezing levels and icing. He says lets take a look at your flight plan (on foreflight) I show him the 3 different routes I planned and my reasoning behind each. He was fine with that. Next was takeoff minimums as well as personal minimums. Then we moved on to alternates and fuel requirements. Next up was approach plates and the IFR low chart. From there we moved into emergency procedures. I'm sure I'm forgetting something at this point, but the whole oral exam was just over an hour and no gotchas at all just real world stuff.
The flight plan was fly to a neighboring airport LOC BC published missed and hold, some unusual attitudes, a little VOR tracking, and then an RNAV to a circle low approach back to the home field for an ILS. Everything went well on the flight portion no big issues. Used auto pilot when I wanted to shut it off when I didn't want it. I tried to do a good mix of AP and hand flying because he said before we left I want to see both and if its getting to where I need more of one or the other I will tell you. So I just mixed it up on and off. It did take some coordination with the tower to do the approaches the way we had them sequenced because the radar controller was in an unusually ****y mood and was having no part of it. We both laughed and agreed he didn't want to be working the holiday weekend. Back to the home field for the ILS and we were done. At this point DPE still hasn't said much. We walk back inside to wrap things up and he says so where are you going on your first IFR trip ? I respond with I guess it depends on when I get my rating. To which he responds do you want me to sign your paper logbook or foreflight logbook job well done !!

Little longer than I planned on and feel free to flame me for spelling and grammatical errors I'm a truck driver not an English major... LOL

Congrats. I am getting close to meeting the hours requirement and scheduling the check-ride. Getting a bit nervous here but my CFI always tells me I am ready when I dont feel that way. ha

Did he look at your logs for the plane? I plan on digitizing mine but it’s ~50 years and not much fun to do the work. Obviously I don’t like them in the car or plane etc.

I can’t remember all the stuff rn but compass rose check and vor test log comes to mind

Thx

Just a quickish recap of my IFR checkride for those interested...

I started my instrument training in October of 2022 with an independent cfii in my airplane. I took and passed my checkride on July 1 with 42ish hours of a combo of simulated and actual conditions. For my ground school I did Sporty's along with Sheppard to prep for the written which I got an 88 on. If I had followed Sheppards format to the letter I would have gotten at least a 90 but I just couldn't do anymore reading and cramming so I said screw it I'll give it a go. I'm more of a hands on learner than a reading learner. As I was getting closer in order to try to avoid the dreaded 6 week wait I made contact with the DPE who was scheduled to be back from Florida mid June. He advised let him know when I was signed off and he would get me in within 2 weeks (same DPE I did my PPL with and a phenomenal guy). I contact him on June 16 he says lets plan on July 1 I'll contact you midweek before to discuss. I talked to him on Thursday AM prior. He says plan a XC PYM-SYR freezing level 5000 tops 7000 400-2@ PYM 700-3@SYR gives me his weight and says see you Saturday at 1300 excellent. I email him my basicmed, pilot cert, written test results, and submit application on IACRA.
I got to the airport early on Saturday to give the airplane a once over and do a little cleaning. We meet up early and get started. Got the paperwork out of the way and away we go. We talked about currency both VFR & IFR and proficiency for both as well. From there we moved right into weather products what do I use to plan with etc what other ways are available that I may not be using. Then on the the XC plan we talked about clouds and freezing levels and icing. He says lets take a look at your flight plan (on foreflight) I show him the 3 different routes I planned and my reasoning behind each. He was fine with that. Next was takeoff minimums as well as personal minimums. Then we moved on to alternates and fuel requirements. Next up was approach plates and the IFR low chart. From there we moved into emergency procedures. I'm sure I'm forgetting something at this point, but the whole oral exam was just over an hour and no gotchas at all just real world stuff.
The flight plan was fly to a neighboring airport LOC BC published missed and hold, some unusual attitudes, a little VOR tracking, and then an RNAV to a circle low approach back to the home field for an ILS. Everything went well on the flight portion no big issues. Used auto pilot when I wanted to shut it off when I didn't want it. I tried to do a good mix of AP and hand flying because he said before we left I want to see both and if its getting to where I need more of one or the other I will tell you. So I just mixed it up on and off. It did take some coordination with the tower to do the approaches the way we had them sequenced because the radar controller was in an unusually ****y mood and was having no part of it. We both laughed and agreed he didn't want to be working the holiday weekend. Back to the home field for the ILS and we were done. At this point DPE still hasn't said much. We walk back inside to wrap things up and he says so where are you going on your first IFR trip ? I respond with I guess it depends on when I get my rating. To which he responds do you want me to sign your paper logbook or foreflight logbook job well done !!

Little longer than I planned on and feel free to flame me for spelling and grammatical errors I'm a truck driver not an English major... LOL
lol, you didn't leave us anything to flame you or the DPE for other than spelling. Congratulations

Did he look at your logs for the plane? I plan on digitizing mine but it’s ~50 years and not much fun to do the work. Obviously I don’t like them in the car or plane etc.

I can’t remember all the stuff rn but compass rose check and vor test log comes to mind

Thx
He did check airplane logbooks. I had all the latest inspections marked and that’s all he looked at.

Congrats!!

Congratulations. Now comes the hard part... keeping it current!

And beyond keeping it current - staying proficient! I don't know, but my gut feeling is that there's a bigger gap possible between "legal" and "proficient" in IFR flying than in VFR for most people (though I'm sure you can find VFR examples that are pretty out there).

Congrats!!

And beyond keeping it current - staying proficient! I don't know, but my gut feeling is that there's a bigger gap possible between "legal" and "proficient" in IFR flying than in VFR for most people (though I'm sure you can find VFR examples that are pretty out there).

I definitely agree with that sentiment just based on a 4 week break I had in training between annual and a bad run of weather early this spring.

I definitely agree with that sentiment just based on a 4 week break I had in training between annual and a bad run of weather early this spring.

I was on vacation for a week. The day after I came back I was practicing some ILS approaches with the cfi the other day. Went missed and instructions were to climb to 2400 direct the IAF. I do that and shoot the approach. I am centered on the needle. Everything looks good but the damn glideslope is not getting captured. GO passed the FAP and still the glideslope is not coming alive. CFI says take off the hood and look. I take off the hood and see the runway in front a 1000 ft below. Oh shoot I was at 1400 the whole damn time thinking I was at 2400. I felt so stupid and embarrassed but honestly looking back I am glad I made that mistake because I know I will never make that mistake ever again. Staying proficient takes time and work.

Back