Instrument approaches in an arrow

I did all my IFR training in 172s.

No transition training in the Arrow? If not, then go out VFR and make full flap settings at 200' - which should be between 3/4 of a mile and a mile out based on a 20:1 approach path. I also disagree with the premise of the super double extra stabilized approached is drilled into good pilots. No, a box that small will just have you going around on 99 out of 100 landings unless you are flying indoors.

...I also disagree with the premise of the super double extra stabilized approached is drilled into good pilots. No, a box that small will just have you going around on 99 out of 100 landings unless you are flying indoors.

it's the "but that's what my CFI told me to do" mentality instead of getting out there and learning how to fly the plane instead of having the plane fly you. this is one reason why I don't fully agree with a PPL going straight into IR training. go out and get some real-world flying experience first. key example here, get experience flying a different plane.

Last edited:
it's the "but that's what my CFI told me to do" mentality instead of getting out there and learning how to fly the plane instead of having the plane fly you. this is one reason why I don't fully agree with a PPL going straight into IR training. go out and get some real-world flying experience first. key example here, get experience flying a different plane.
Totally agree.

Man, I flew with a CFI recently that just did not know what he was doing in the aircraft we were in. He has 10,000's of hours in turbines, and I was hoping to learn a lot. What I learned is that everyone has blind spots. He was telling me to do things that were just blatantly the wrong thing to do. I had to flat out tell him "NO, I'm not doing that, and here's why" more than once.

Back