Instructor and student crash at airport

triton63

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
triton63
Ooh, stall/spin. Ouch.

Negative gusts at 100 feet SUCK (BTDT, with a much better resolution).

...they experienced a wind shift that caused the plane to crash.

I'm not buying that. A Cub will "shift" with the wind almost as quickly as a dry leaf. While it's barely possible to stall as a result of a decrease in headwind you'd have to be within a few MPH of stalling in the first place and even then it's quite possible to recover without losing anywhere near 100 ft. My guess would be a little buffet followed by a student hauling back on the stick and holding it as a result of the view close to the ground.

...they experienced a wind shift that caused the plane to crash.

I'm not buying that. A Cub will "shift" with the wind almost as quickly as a dry leaf. While it's barely possible to stall as a result of a decrease in headwind you'd have to be within a few MPH of stalling in the first place and even then it's quite possible to recover without losing anywhere near 100 ft. My guess would be a little buffet followed by a student hauling back on the stick and holding it as a result of the view close to the ground.

Agreed 100%......

Pilot should have had his hand on the throttle. First hint of decaying airspeed, it is full throttle and lower the nose .............like RIGHT now....

Hope they both pull through...

God speed to both.

There should be a FAR against the total ages of the occupants in a training aircraft will not exceed. 100. :rofl:

Right turn at 100'? Somehow I suspect that the reporting on this is not entirely accurate, which would be in line with pretty much EVERY SINGLE news report I have ever seen about an accident involving an airplane.

Right turn at 100'? Somehow I suspect that the reporting on this is not entirely accurate, which would be in line with pretty much EVERY SINGLE news report I have ever seen about an accident involving an airplane.

No flight plan. ;)

I would say that'll 'buff right out' except it looks like wrinkles in the fabric. I suppose that will 'iron right out' with a steamer. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I hope they both will be alright and heal quickly.

Will wait for the pilots statement,reporters aren't always reliable. Hope everyone recovers quickly.

Student? Yeah, sure, sounds like a cover story for the wife to me. ;)

Seriously, here's wishing them a speedy recovery.

Must have been a downwind turn. :yikes:

Ouch. I was flying a Cub with a student today. That's a bit sobering to see.

Ryan

Back