Instruction in an older tailwheel plane near DC/mid-Atlantic

tigerowner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tigerowner
I'm interested in getting my tailwheel signoff in a Cub, Champ or similar older plane. Does anyone offer this training int the DC/mid-Atlantic area? I know there are some schools with a Decathalon but I would prefer to fly in something older for the fun.

Thank you!

Aviation Adventures used to have a Champ, not sure if they still do. You might need to just buy an old taildragger; come to Freeway, we have donuts.

My CFI does instruction in a Cub in NE Georgia. PM Me for details

There was a guy at Freeway airport, Bowie, MD, with a Citabria, I beleive. The FBO didn't offer it, but they would hook you up with him. Give them a call, see if he's still there. It's a suburb of DC, on the way to Annapolis, just a bit outside the DC beltway.

He's still there but flies a Maule now.

Last edited:
I'm interested in getting my tailwheel signoff in a Cub, Champ or similar older plane. Does anyone offer this training int the DC/mid-Atlantic area? I know there are some schools with a Decathalon but I would prefer to fly in something older for the fun!

Not yet but Frederick Flight Center is looking at acquiring one for a tailwheel program this spring. They're looking for a good old school J-3 with no electrical and just a handheld for the radio.

https://frederickflightcenter.com

Back