Installing/removing winter oil cooler restrictor plate

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Is this legal for a pilot to do? I thought it was, but the best defense I can come up with for it in the FARs is a combination of 43.3(g), 43(A)(6) and 43(A)(12).

In this particular case, the cowling is held on with a bunch of camlocs and eight phillips screws, while the restrictor plate simply slides into a holder that remains installed on the aircraft all year, no tools necessary. 43(A)(6) allows for the removal of the cowling for other purposes at least...

Is this legal for a pilot to do? I thought it was, but the best defense I can come up with for it in the FARs is a combination of 43.3(g), 43(A)(6) and 43(A)(12).

In this particular case, the cowling is held on with a bunch of camlocs and eight phillips screws, while the restrictor plate simply slides into a holder that remains installed on the aircraft all year, no tools necessary. 43(A)(6) allows for the removal of the cowling for other purposes at least...

Chief counsel can be reached at.........

what's the nike slogan?

If it's not a structural issue, it comes under owner maintenance. Since the slide guides are already there, no big deal.

No big deal,did it on my arrow all the time.

Yep, you can remove and replace as the pilot as conditions dictate, it's an operational control that you as PIC must determine whether to use or not.

Yeah, I agree... But where's the FAR reference? :dunno:

There is none required. Our laws are inclusive, ie if not excluded, it is included. There is nothing that excludes that activity, and multiple things that indicate it is an operational decision on a flight by flight basis since it takes current conditions to determine whether to use it or not.

If it's not a structural issue, it comes under owner maintenance. Since the slide guides are already there, no big deal.
The fact that it's "not a structural issue" does not automatically make it preventive maintenance. I'm not at all sure how the FAA would view it (especially regarding item (12) since it most definitely affects airflow), so my advice would be to ask an Airworthiness Inspector at your local FSDO. And since it's not a cockpit item that can be adjusted without tools, it's most definitely not an "operational control" as Henning suggests.

Rotax DA20s have one and it is on the pilot's checklist to install/remove based on temperature. Uses a thumbscrew no tools required. I'd just do it. If you are worried look in the logbook for entries from mechanics installing or removing it.

my advice would be to ask an Airworthiness Inspector at your local FSDO. .

That's like asking a lawyer if you need advice or a preacher if you need salvation. The FSDO is the LAST place I would go for advice. Your A&P or IA might be a place to start.

Jim

That's like asking a lawyer if you need advice or a preacher if you need salvation.
More like asking a lawyer for advice when you realize you need advice (and the OP clearly recognizes the need for advice) or a preacher for prayer when you realize you need salvation. FSDO Inspectors are, by and large, really there to help you, and they don't get paid any more or less for answering your questions "yes" or "no", so you almost always get a straight, honest answer. OTOH, your local mechanic isn't the one who decides later on if you violated the rules by what you did, so why not go to the person who would make that decision?

You need advice from a lawyer when there is something you need to worry about, when you have something to lose greater than the value of the cost of the lawyer. What is it you think one stands to lose by adding or subtracting this plate?:dunno: You think it would get you a 90 day rip if the FAA inspector caught you doing it on the ramp?:dunno:

You need advice from a lawyer when there is something you need to worry about, when you have something to lose greater than the value of the cost of the lawyer.
I don't know about you, but I have unlimited minutes on my cell phone, so the call to the FSDO is free, and so is the Inspector's time/advice. Seems like zero-cost insurance, and I'll take that any day.

What is it you think one stands to lose by adding or subtracting this plate?:dunno: You think it would get you a 90 day rip if the FAA inspector caught you doing it on the ramp?:dunno:
90 days? No, I don't think that long, but I've heard of inspectors taking action against non-mechanic pilots they see doing non-preventive maintenance.

The plate is no different from a cowl flap, it slides in and out of place, it just isn't cockpit control.

I don't know about you, but I have unlimited minutes on my cell phone, so the call to the FSDO is free, and so is the Inspector's time/advice. Seems like zero-cost insurance, and I'll take that any day.

You mean like when Memphis says you can't use a GPS to identify an NDB/LOM?

Seems like asking a question hoping for an answer you don't want.

I install and remove mine all the time and, heaven forbid, I don't even log it!

duct-tape.jpg

:goofy:

:)

It's a good thing I always use the Alaska FAA because those guys know how to keep things moving.

Do very many planes allow using inlet restrictions on the cowl, for winterization?

Cirrus offers one, for flying below -10 F. The owner installs it with screws and removes it. I'm just wondering how common this is for other planes.

http://servicecenters.cirrusdesign.com/techpubs/pdf/SR22Sup/13772-118R1.pdf

It's a different approach, as compared to just blocking the oil cooler. I've never wanted to fly when it is that cold, anyway.

Last edited:
Do you think they weighed it before flying it :rofl:

Hell that'd be an easy way to recover the Flybaby. Maybe I'll swing over to Walmart tonight and pick up a cart full of yellow duct tape and beer. Should have it done by sunrise.

Do very many planes allow using inlet restrictions on the cowl, for winterization?

Cirrus offers one, for flying below -10 F. The owner installs it with screws and removes it. I'm just wondering how common this is for other planes.

It's a different approach, as compared to just blocking the oil cooler. I've never wanted to fly when it is that cold, anyway.
Cherokees are placarded for the oil cooler plate under 50f

Yep, actually I wonder how many don't.

Back