Installing an audio authority battery minder interface kit-Piper Archer ii

Pfitmx15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Pfitmx15
Looking for some advice on installing this product with my mechanic. When looking at the install examples the closest to mine is their Saratoga example. They suggest mounting it on top of the baggage compartment close out. My question is how would you route the wires through the close out? Would you drill through and put a rubber grommet in the hole? The instructions only say to route it through the close out however when you look at their finished product you cannot see the wires going through the close out. It appears that they exit through the rear of the plug. Anyway just looking for advice on the best way to go about it.

Thanks for your help. Here are some links to check it out.

Here is the kit
https://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/BM-AIK2A

Here is there link to the Saratoga example. If it doesn't work they are listed at the bottom of the page on the link above.
https://www.audioauthority.com/downloads/examples/BM-AIK_PA32_example_20140515.pdf

My aircraft is a Piper Archer ii.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The harness wires connected to the Anderson appear to be 14 AWG, and they are so small and flexible I think the hole was made directly beneath the end of the Anderson and thus can't be seen.

I'm missing the point of the Anderson connector. Why wouldn't one just use the fused two wire harness provided with the battery tender and connect it to relay and ground as shown?

The harness could be run through a grommet as you mentioned, and would then connect directly to the battery tender. The harness is fused and also has a cap to protect the plug when it's not in use, so there's no arcing potential if something metallic bumps into it.

The harness is six bucks.

081-0069-6-Fused-Ring-Terminals-clean.jpg

Last edited:
It does come with a mil-spec fiberglass sheath to put on in areas where chafing could be an issue. Do you think it would be okay to run it through a hole in the closeout with this sheathing instead of a grommet?

As for why, we'll the partners and I just wanted a solution for tending the battery that didn't involve taking the baggage close out door off every time. This product is what we settled on.

My ‘pigtail’ just runs out to the floor of the cargo area(different plane). I just plug in as need with my tender.

I never have enough stuff or junk nearby where it would cause an issue with 12” of tender wire laying on the floor. Yes, you may want a more ‘finished’ install than I have. My interior plastic is weak enough without more holes drilled into it.

I would just drill a hole in the bulkhead, insert a grommet, and run the two wire harness through it.

The Anderson FB-50 in the aforementioned kit is rated for 120 amps. It seems silly in the extreme to use it to connect a 500 milliamp circuit

I just got a 24v battery minder with the ring connector pig tail and installed it and ran the cable into the back cargo area in my 185, didn’t even need to drill a hole.

All in it was like 200 bucks off amazon and took me 15min to install (owner mx).

This was the final product

32450a84c6f828697965a4570eef6fec.jpg
2d5f82246446f91d2bf199078bfefd9d.jpg

Back