Install requirements for Aspen E5

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by ISU_Radar, Oct 3, 2019.

1. ISU_Radar

ISU_Radar Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    B. J.
    I couldn't seem to find a good answer on this, so I apologize if this has been asked before. I was wondering if an Aspen E5 with ACU can be installed by an "traditional" A&P/IA instead of a dedicated avionics shop/authorized dealer? I believe the Garmin G5's can be, but could be wrong on that as well. Even if they can, would you recommend it? Anyone with any experience? I am trying to figure out a good way of replacing my DG as it is not working well, and don't really want to wait 9 to 12 months to get into most avionics shops.

2. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74
    Let your fingers do the walking. How far are you willing to travel to get in? I have a hard time accepting any ol' IA should be installing these. You are interfacing with the AP and certified GPS. If they are not experienced and trained avionics techs, they should not be installing these.

3. ISU_Radar

ISU_Radar Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    B. J.
    Valid points. Short of looking outside the country, it seems that everyone I have talked to both near and far are booked till about May of next year. I may have to bite the bullet and spend money on repairing the DG in the short term.

4. Eric S

Eric S Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    X117A
    I know a shop on OKC that's doing my dual G5s (They are an authorised Aspen dealer as well) and have some space within 30 to 40 days. PM me if you want the details.

As a side note their pricing beat out my other quotes by some margin as well.

5. NordicDave

NordicDave Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    Usually governed by the STC holder. You will have to ask Aspen. Unless you bought a used unit.

6. Jesse Saint

Jesse Saint Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jesse Saint
    The E5 is over-the-counter and can be installed by any IA. It must be purchased from a dealer, though.