Inspection Authorization (IA) Renewal (LSA Aircraft)

Stache

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
I have had some discussion with A&P/IA mechanics wanting to know if performing the Annual Condition inspection on Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (E-LSA) and Special Light Sport (S-LSA) aircraft meets the requirement for annual inspections to renew their Inspection Authorizations (IA’s).

The answer is NO, E-LSA and S-LSA Condition inspection does not count. To perform the condition inspection on LSA aircraft only requires an A&P certificate. FAR 65.93(a)(1) states “Annual Inspection” NOT “Condition Inspection”. LSA and home built aircraft are not type-certificated aircraft and only have Condition inspections unlike type-certificated aircraft that have Annual Inspections.

In addition FAR 65.95(a)(2) states; Perform an annual, or perform or supervise a progressive inspection according to §§43.13 and 43.15 of this chapter. The rule does not allow condition inspections to count.

When did LSA become a non "Type-certificated" aircraft? You sure this doesn't just apply to E-LSA and E-AB?

Any aircraft that does not require an annual inspection can't be used for qualify for recertification of the IA

How does one make changes/modifications to the L/LSA?

Let us say that I want to recover a L/LSA with a fabric which is not the normal manufacturers fabric, how would I document that ?

Last edited:
Nick,

no newly built LSA are type certificated. They are built to an ASTM standard instead of the FAA type certificate standards.

Any aircraft that does not require an annual inspection can't be used for qualify for recertification of the IA

How does one make changes/modifications to the L/LSA?

Let us say that I want to recover a L/LSA with a fabrice which is not the normal manufacturers fabric, how would I document that ?
You get authorization from the manufacturer to make modifications to an sLSA.

Sure enough, my bad. I totally thought S-LSAs were type certed.

You get authorization from the manufacturer to make modifications to an sLSA.

That sounds to me like making SB's mandatory for part 91 operators.

or

If the manufatcurers are not getting a kick back from the parts manufacturers they won't authorize the exchange of parts.

no thanks.

Last edited:
Keep in mind there is two types of Light Sport Aircraft 1) Experimental and 2) Special. The difference between the two is experimental a true experimental aircraft and Specials are built to an ASTM standard not a Type Certificate Data Sheet.

To make a major change to an experimental it is allowed in accordance with limitations issued during certification. The Specials require a letter in writing approving the major change or alteration instead of a Form 337 because they are built to an ASTM standard. The owner is required to submit in writing a request to make major change or alteration from the manufacture before making the change and Part 43 does apply to Specials only.

I just happen to have a copy of all the LSA ASTM’s and they read like CAR-3 and Part 23 in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
Back