"Inspected oil filter, found no metal" - myth or reality?

14 CFR Appendix-D-to-Part-43(d)(3)

Appendix D to Part 43—Scope and Detail of Items (as Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) To Be Included in Annual and 100-Hour Inspections

(d) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) components of the engine and nacelle group as follows:

(3) Internal engine—for cylinder compression and for metal particles or foreign matter on screens and sump drain plugs. If there is weak cylinder compression, for improper internal condition and improper internal tolerances.

What engine was that from? Did you have any other indications? If it was the cam lobes, was the engine making static RPM?

This was from a Lycoming O-360 C1F in a Maule MX7. I had been doing regular oil analysis with Blackstone and all was looking good until I found metal. Once I found metal, I stopped doing additional oil analysis since the damage was so obvious. The engine still makes static RPM, it has full oil pressure and seems to perform well. I'm sure it is down on power, but the power loss has been gradual, so I haven't noticed it from flight to flight. Getting all the bower back (and then some) with a rebuilt engine that has been flowed and ported will be fun. After a 6 month wait, my rebuilt engine from LyCon will be ready later this month. The engine had 2400 hours on the tach, so I have nothing to complain about. I had been using CAMGUARD with Phillips Victory 20W/50 oil.

This was from a Lycoming O-360 C1F in a Maule MX7. I had been doing regular oil analysis with Blackstone and all was looking good until I found metal. Once I found metal, I stopped doing additional oil analysis since the damage was so obvious. The engine still makes static RPM, it has full oil pressure and seems to perform well. I'm sure it is down on power, but the power loss has been gradual, so I haven't noticed it from flight to flight. Getting all the bower back (and then some) with a rebuilt engine that has been flowed and ported will be fun. After a 6 month wait, my rebuilt engine from LyCon will be ready later this month. The engine had 2400 hours on the tach, so I have nothing to complain about. I had been using CAMGUARD with Phillips Victory 20W/50 oil.
Thanks for the reply. One thing is, if you are using Phillips Victory, I do not believe you need to add CamGuard. It already has the Lycoming anti wear, scuff additive in it. The non-Victory does not have it. I used to use that with CamGuard before switching over.

Victory AW 20W-50 is pre-blended with the proper concentration of anti-scuff/anti-wear additive (LW-16702) mandated by Lycoming Service Bulletins 446E and 471B and Service Instruction 1409C.

Thanks for the reply. One thing is, if you are using Phillips Victory, I do not believe you need to add CamGuard. It already has the Lycoming anti wear, scuff additive in it. The non-Victory does not have it. I used to use that with CamGuard before switching over.

Victory AW 20W-50 is pre-blended with the proper concentration of anti-scuff/anti-wear additive (LW-16702) mandated by Lycoming Service Bulletins 446E and 471B and Service Instruction 1409C.
I don't use CamGuard, but worth noting it is not an anti-wear/scuff additive. It is an anti-corrosion additive.

I don't use CamGuard, but worth noting it is not an anti-wear/scuff additive. It is an anti-corrosion additive.

Camguard's website claims it is an antiwear additive.

That said, Camguard is not the same as what is in the Aeroshell plus oils and the Phillips Victory oils. A lot of people seem convinced it is, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary out there, if people look for it.

Camguard's website claims it is an antiwear additive.

That said, Camguard is not the same as what is in the Aeroshell plus oils and the Phillips Victory oils. A lot of people seem convinced it is, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary out there, if people look for it.
From the Aeroshell 15W50 MSDS:

1707696861905.png
I think it's the triphenyl phosphate that's the anti-scuffing additive.

From the Lycoming LW-16702 MSDS:

1707696968491.png

So, phenyls and phosphates again. I'm no chemist, but I'd suggest that since the Aeroshell 15W50 contains the LW-16702, we have some commonality here.

From the Camguard MSDS:

1707697101522.png

It's a proprietary mix, so no details on the chemistry, but I see phosphates again, suggesting perhaps that those are the antiwear components, and maybe the carboxylates are the anticorrosion bit.

I can tell you that we ran the 15W50 year-round in the flight-school airplanes, and those engines were in beautiful condition at TBO. Little or no metal in the filters, compressions still in the high 80s, engines still making max static power. When I put that oil in my ancient A-65, the oil temperature dropped by about 30 degrees, telling me that the engine's internal friction had decreased dramatically.

Back