inquiry about 3 Texas flight schools

classicrock

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
acousticguitar
realizing that there are pilots and student pilots posting from all over the USA on this website, this question would be most relevant to those who recieved their instruction or fly in Texas and more specifically in the Houston area

I may be continuing my PPL training at another school in the Houston area. I have visited American Flyers at David Hooks, Texas Flight Service at David Hooks, and The Flying Tigers at Ellington AFB

(I have used American Flyers to prep for the Written FAA test, but that doesnt tell me what others experience have been with the school)

who has taken PPL training with any of these schools and how would you describe your experience? any comments appreciated

I did my training at West Houston Airport. They had some great CFIs at the time, but all of the ones I knew have moved on. I can't vouch for the current crop. The aircraft are well kept, however. I didn't use them.. had my own, but I've flown with others in their fleet.

I also know plenty of people that speak great things about Texas Taildraggers out of Houston Southwest. I've also heard a few good things about The Flight School out of Weiser.

All of those are pt61 only, though. I don't know anybody that's gone to the 141 schools you mentioned.

... They had some great CFIs at the time ...
This is important. Finding the right CFI is much more important than the school. There are many threads here about selecting a CFI. Search is your friend.

IMO you should avoid low-time CFIs who are "just passing through" on the way to their airline goal. The best CFIs I have used are the "been there, done that" type who have worked as light airplane pilots, maybe freight dogs, and who are teaching for the love of it.

IMO you should avoid low-time CFIs who are "just passing through" on the way to their airline goal. The best CFIs I have used are the "been there, done that" type who have worked as light airplane pilots, maybe freight dogs, and who are teaching for the love of it.

My PPL instructor would once in a while smack me in the head with the checklist for blatantly saying or doing something that he knew I already knew. And he did it with love. :D

My instrument instructor was a young kid who was an ASU grad who was "just passing through" as the epithet on this board goes. 27 years old ex-Army. He was great. He knew his stuff, he worked very hard. In the early days he was mainly hired to manage the fleet, staging and fueling and scheduling and all that miserable ****. But they let him take on a couple students. He worked his ass off and built up a lot of cred among the other instructors as well at the chief. He got me through my IR in minimal hours and I aced my ride. Now he's one of the busiest instructors at the place and I understand he just landed a FO gig on a Falcon.. anyway.

I appreciated both guys for different characteristics.

My instrument instructor was a young kid ...
Yup. It is certainly possible to get a real star who is young and just passing through. I would argue, though, that the odds of the OP getting a good instructor are much higher if he avoids this category and go for the older guys who are doing it, as you say, out of love.

If you can consider KCXO in Conroe I highly recommend Just Fly. Husband/Wife operation, 2 Cherokees, great airport. I see your a highwinger, so this may not be of interest. Depending on where you live, drive time to KCXO will be easier, and maybe even quicker. Don't have to deal with FM2920!

http://www.flyinhouston.com/

realizing that there are pilots and student pilots posting from all over the USA on this website, this question would be most relevant to those who recieved their instruction or fly in Texas and more specifically in the Houston area

I may be continuing my PPL training at another school in the Houston area. I have visited American Flyers at David Hooks, Texas Flight Service at David Hooks, and The Flying Tigers at Ellington AFB

(I have used American Flyers to prep for the Written FAA test, but that doesnt tell me what others experience have been with the school)

who has taken PPL training with any of these schools and how would you describe your experience? any comments appreciated

I recommend you sign up at Flying Tigers at Ellington Field.

They have a contract with Lee College that will save you significant amounts of money (free flight instruction + $15/hr off rental rate).

Aside from that, they are part 141 outfit, and you can get tailored instruction without the huge markup of american flyers, united flight service, ATP, etc.

I recommend you sign up at Flying Tigers at Ellington Field.

They have a contract with Lee College that will save you significant amounts of money (free flight instruction + $15/hr off rental rate).

Aside from that, they are part 141 outfit, and you can get tailored instruction without the huge markup of american flyers, united flight service, ATP, etc.

Don't you have to pay for the Lee course? When I briefly looked in to it, it seemed like a wash.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Houston is big. And there is traffic. The school closest to you will be the best because you will fly more. Flying more is how you will get good at what you are trying to do.

Back