Inputing Numbers

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I'm having trouble logging in to a secure website apparently because of different ways of inputting numbers. Once I got in from my computer by using the number pad instead of the number row at the top of the key board when inputting the PIN but that isn't working anymore. I also was able to get in from my wife's computer when I couldn't get in from my own. I have noticed that when the input is acceptable (small sample size), fairly large black dots appear in the entry field for each number entered. Maybe coincidence - When asterisks appear instead of black dots, the input were not accepted. Any ideas?

Caps lock or NUM lock on? If it works on one machine, it should work on any. If I understand correctly, the machine with the number pad is the one not working. Try powering it off, wait 5 seconds, then reboot. This should reset the number pad.
I use a notebook for my primary machine. I find sometimes I hit the wrong combination and set the number pad (which is in the middle of the keyboard) on. Makes passwords a bear.

Test the state of your keyboard by typing into a command window or a text editor.

It is a desktop, no embedded number pad like some laptops. NumLock is on. Key board is working (typing this message). I ran into something like this once before with a different keyboard inputting character codes like ALT 146 for Æ. Would work from the number pad but not from the number row at the top of the keyboard.

Thread Creep! Re: Inputing Numbers

Makes passwords a bear.
My 18 year old has become a complete touch typist, she never has to look at the keyboard.

To add security to her machine, she pried off the little keycaps with the letters on them, and then reinstalled them in straight order. Instead of QWERTY etc. the keyboard keys are ABCDEF.... continuing to the right and down. Few can use this keyboard. Then her password is the word "password" typed on the new arrangement - comes out gibberish on the screen.

-Skip

Re: Thread Creep! Re: Inputing Numbers

My 18 year old has become a complete touch typist, she never has to look at the keyboard.

To add security to her machine, she pried off the little keycaps with the letters on them, and then reinstalled them in straight order. Instead of QWERTY etc. the keyboard keys are ABCDEF.... continuing to the right and down. Few can use this keyboard. Then her password is the word "password" typed on the new arrangement - comes out gibberish on the screen.

-Skip

One of our engineers came up to me yesterday and told me he needed a new keyboard. I asked him if he spilt coffee on it and he said no. After that I asked him why he needed a new one and you could tell he was annoyed with me asking. I asked again and he finally said "If I push M it types N. If I push N it types M". I said "Did it occur to you that someone probably switched around your keys?"

He just looked down and walked away.

Re: Thread Creep! Re: Inputing Numbers

One of our engineers came up to me yesterday and told me he needed a new keyboard. I asked him if he spilt coffee on it and he said no. After that I asked him why he needed a new one and you could tell he was annoyed with me asking. I asked again and he finally said "If I push M it types N. If I push N it types M". I said "Did it occur to you that someone probably switched around your keys?"

He just looked down and walked away.
Now, you wouldnt hapen to know just who did that dastardly deed, would you? :rofl::no::rofl:

BTW, what's with the new signature. I hate having to scroll SIDEWAYS to read your entire messages!

Back