inline PTT button

nimdabew

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
nimdabew
I am a flight instructor and I have been on the hunt for a way to get a PTT button on my headset cord. I am not so worried about looks per she, but more of function. I can talk and use the PTT button on the co-pilot yoke, but some planes don't have them (I flew in a Comanche that only had one PTT and it was annoying trying to relay messages through the other pilot).

Now, the PTT buttons I have seen are coiled, 1.5 M in length and use Velcro to secure it to a yoke. I am wondering if anyone has seen a more compact PTT button with maybe a 2 foot cord, straight wire, or something else. I may have to do some splicing, and that is fine, but being able to purchase a off the shelf unit would be nice too.

Note that some of those cords, if you plug your headset into them, will block your use of hte intercom. I had to cut a wire inside one to avoid the auto "muting" feature.

Are you saying that I will probably end up cutting then wire somehow? If so, I don't mind picking a straight cord up and modifying it to my needs.

I can probably just build you something. Email me what you want, and I'll see if I can create something that will work for you.
s.schmidt-at-thesquawkshoppe-dot-com
(encrypted because of public crawlers)

Back