#@$%*!ing Cool Flying!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Ahhh, my soul has been cleansed.

I'm sitting up in Cadillac, MI, home of Yellow airplanes with skis. This is the scene:

DSCN3304.jpg

Talking airplanes and anything else that flies, with a fire going in the woodstove, watching friends fly the Cubs on skis when we're not flying 'em ourselves. Sweet. :)

Does that sound fun to anybody? ;)

More to come later. :yes:

Sounds like fun to me!! I mean, if you HAVE to be up there in the ice and snow... :eek:

You know its cold when you have to use a 200,000 btu forced air shop heater as your engine pre-heater. I could heat my hangar and the two next to me with that.:eek:

Hey, you really lucked out in getting a long spell of cold and snowy weather in Feb. You shouldn't have concerns about lakes not frozen enough, and you can probably use plenty of regular airports that haven't been plowed! I'm jealous, and hope to join you next year!

Kent,

How long are you going to be there? Maybe I can get over and say Hi sunday.

Barb

Plane is in for annual, or I'd scoot up there. Not even an hour from here. 35 mins maybe.

Okay, got about .8 in the J-3 and maybe .5 in the Super Cub today. Snow's kinda soft and deep, but the winds have been high so there's a lot of exposed ice on the lakes. VERY bumpy ride!

I did 10 ski landings (5 on Lake Mitchell, 3 on Lake Cadillac, 2 on the turf 18/36 at KCAD), yanked and banked, raced snowmobiles, and had a blast. :goofy: :yes:

More tomorrow :D and then home :(.

Kent,

How long are you going to be there? Maybe I can get over and say Hi sunday.

Barb

I'll probably leave sometime tomorrow afternoon. Depends when things start to wind down, as getting the planes in the hangar is some work and requires a few people to be left. I'd guess we'll be around until at least 2.

Basically, there are a bunch of us who were invited by Rick Durden to come up here for this, and the planes get flown like mad as it is - That's why I want to possibly do a separate PoA skiplane weekend next year, so we'll have the planes to ourselves for the weekend. :yes:

Okay, got about .8 in the J-3 and maybe .5 in the Super Cub today. Snow's kinda soft and deep, but the winds have been high so there's a lot of exposed ice on the lakes. VERY bumpy ride!

I did 10 ski landings (5 on Lake Mitchell, 3 on Lake Cadillac, 2 on the turf 18/36 at KCAD), yanked and banked, raced snowmobiles, and had a blast. :goofy: :yes:

More tomorrow :D and then home :(.
Gee, kind of sucks to have to deal with all that cold!

Wanna trade me? You take my commercial ride tomorrow and I'll have your fun in the cold. :D

OK. Important question. Whose MacBook Pro is that? I thought you bought a 17".

You know its cold when you have to use a 200,000 btu forced air shop heater as your engine pre-heater. I could heat my hangar and the two next to me with that.:eek:

I don't think it's "have to" so much as "cheaper than buying another heater."

That's mine, and it is a 17".

:rofl: I guess I'm thinking how the 17" Powerbooks look vs. the 15". Yours looks a lot like my 15, except now I see yours has a smaller frame around the screen and the keyboard part is slightly wider.

Man, this was a fun thread to read until you made it politically correct with that Mac junk. :D

Here was the Sunday morning scene:

DSCN3309.jpg

Something about fueling the planes that way made it seem even cooler. :)

I'll probably leave sometime tomorrow afternoon. Depends when things start to wind down, as getting the planes in the hangar is some work and requires a few people to be left. I'd guess we'll be around until at least 2.

Heh. Well, as it happened, Joe took the Seneca down to Willow Run and didn't return until 5:30. Everyone else left after lunch at Lakeside Charlie's, so I ended up sitting alone at Northwoods for several hours. At least there was WiFi and plenty of video to edit! :yes:

Sorry Barb, I should have PM'ed you my cell #. I hope you didn't show up while we were over at Lakeside Charlie's!

My question is, who was the poor soul that gets to suck on the siphon hose :)

From personal experience I can attest to the foul taste of 100LL

Pete

Sorry Barb, I should have PM'ed you my cell #. I hope you didn't show up while we were over at Lakeside Charlie's!

I wimped out. It was nice weather at Gladwin but the awos for Cadillac kept saying 1 1/4 mile viz and 800 bkn. Your picture looks like there was some blue sky. Now, I'm miffed I didn't try and go. There is no dishonor in turning back.

Barb

I wimped out. It was nice weather at Gladwin but the awos for Cadillac kept saying 1 1/4 mile viz and 800 bkn. Your picture looks like there was some blue sky. Now, I'm miffed I didn't try and go. There is no dishonor in turning back.

Barb,

FWIW, Joe told me that he got quite a bit of actual between YIP and CAD, so you might have been better off stayin' home anyway. :dunno:

You coming to Gaston's? If nothing else, I'll see you at Ed's, or when we fly seaplanes at CAD. :yes:

My question is, who was the poor soul that gets to suck on the siphon hose :)

They're the shake-siphon hoses. One end has a fitting which basically has a marble in it. You put that end into the gas can and shake it. Going down, the "marble" goes up and allows gas into the tube. Going up, the marble goes down and covers the opening. So, all ya gotta do is shake for a bit, no sucking required.

Unless you're volunteering. :rofl:

student i had in a 182 had two gas cans, tube ran from can 1 to can 2 then another tube from can 2 to tank. he would blow in can 1 to pressurize and that would get things started. it would pretty much empty itself with no sucking or shaking required.

That picture was missing something, I fixed it for ya!

LOL Bill... I didn't notice at first, had to load the original pic in the next tab and do the finding-pluto trick before I noticed that the airplane is smiling! :) It is definitely a happy airplane. :yes: :)

LOL Bill... I didn't notice at first, had to load the original pic in the next tab and do the finding-pluto trick before I noticed that the airplane is smiling! :) It is definitely a happy airplane. :yes: :)

dont feel bad, it took me about 10 minutes of side by side comparison.

The weather couldn't have been less amenable to flying than it was here this morning until about 11AM. Try less than 1/4 NM visibility (based on telephone poles, I'd estimate 200-400') and 100' in freezing fog. There was ice accumulation on the bushes. At least the wind was near calm ;)

Where's the video?

Kent,

I guess I'm going to need a direct link to the video. I can't find it on the page you linked to.

Re: Where's the video?

Kent,

I guess I'm going to need a direct link to the video. I can't find it on the page you linked to.

What do you see on our web site?

It's the same one you saw last night anyway, it's just on the Pilotcast site now. :)

Back