#@$%*!ing Cold

Yah. Have to ferry a plane this afternoon. Started the warm up ritual about an hour ago. Fingers are still not quite thawed out.

Diana's Farm is northeast of Joplin, MO. Twin Oaks on the sectional. Get that flybaby flying and go down there!

I've been wondering if I could fit my climbing equipment and saws in the FB. Weight wise it would be close I think. I did a bunch of climbing in Boulder after a big tree wrecking snow storm and flew commercial with just 2 gym bags, one with 2 little saws and the other with climbing gear. Might be doable.

We have a tractor with a loader that might work. Don't know about our chain saws.

I'll bring whatever we'll need but extra saws and heavy equipment are always nice.

but one time I was wandering around while he was cutting trees at the end of the runway and slipped on a tree stump and screwed up my knee and he had to load me up in the back of the truck and eventually take me to the ER.

Thats classic! I've had groin smashing back wrenching falls just walking around under the trees I just spent hours climbing around in. Torqued my back once walking around looking up at trees doing an estimate because I stepped off a 3 inch landscape wall. Three inches! I was on my knees barely breathing worried that the homeowner would look out the window and think I was some sort of freek! Took me 5 minutes to get to my feet! Crazy.

I'll bring whatever we'll need but extra saws and heavy equipment are always nice.
That sounds great! If you make it down, we'll put you up for the night, and I'll even cook something (if I can remember how :D )

You guys are killing me. I'm out running heat tape on gear boxes, and you are talking about being naked in a hot tub. Grrrrrrr!

I'm so cold I'm actually contemplating starting myself on fire for a few minutes.

:p
Sorry James. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go get in the hot tub. :D

Getting out is fantastic! If you stay in a while (like over 10 minutes) you get so freaking hot that you can dry off and walk around in the snow (with flip flops) for minutes, many minutes if it's not windy.

I have fond memories of staying in a hut in the Canadian Rockies with friends during an ice climbing trip. It was about -10F out, and they had a sauna. We'd stay in the sauna (naked, of course) for as long as we could stand the heat, then run down the path about 50 yards to the creek. Somebody had chopped a hole in the foot thick ice, and we'd all jump in the creek and run back up to the sauna. On the way up the path, your wet feet would freeze to the ground a little bit with each step, even though you were moving fast. It felt like the ground was sticky.

Chris

I've been wondering if I could fit my climbing equipment and saws in the FB.
Is your airplane a two seater? If it is, I wonder if we could do some filming while you're here? I really want to get some air-to-air video shots of the Citabria doing acro sometime soon.

Equipment does not operate correctly when it gets this cold. I've been at the farm all night.

It was -22* at 2:00 am this morning here in NW Iowa.

Frozen water lines

Gelled trucks

Power lines down

We think we seized a bearing on a 1000kw generator due to an oil line failure - That one might be a $80,000 if the engine is toast.

Gear boxes won't turn due to gelled oil. Don't tell PETA, but I've got animals that haven't been fed yet today.

Ventillation fans are slipping on their belts and then the fan blade will ice in place

I'm using so much steam to keep my building heated that my propane vaporizer can't keep up

Ammonia refrigeration system condenser and desuperheater are not functioning properly

I've got a filter on a glycol cooling loop that is frozen up due to ice crystals. I'm not even sure how that is happening.

Sorry for the rant, but it's gonna be a long weekend. Anybody got a spare cot?

James Dean

Yikes, that sucks especially the genset. Do you keep the fuel and oil heated for it? I remember freezing up a Sperry Car in Canada while running.

Is your airplane a two seater? If it is, I wonder if we could do some filming while you're here? I really want to get some air-to-air video shots of the Citabria doing acro sometime soon.

flybaby's a single seater :(

Yikes, that sucks especially the genset. Do you keep the fuel and oil heated for it? I remember freezing up a Sperry Car in Canada while running.

Yeah the oil and fuel are heated and the genset is in an enclosed space. However, this was a standby genset and we lost power from our main service. In this case the genset must go from dead stop to making 75% rated power in about 9 seconds. It appears from the trend data on our monitoring computer that a main bearing failed. The oil temp went to the high limit in about 15 minutes and the safety shut the unit down. The factory is saying that at the cold temp the bearing was probably destroyed before the oil made it to the passage. Not the first time this would have happened.

It was a 1000kw kohler unit with a 37 liter 12 cylinder engine. In total we have 12 generators on our site from 250 to 1500 kw. We keep a spare unit on a trailer for this situation, so we didn't suffer too many problems from the failure.

That is, until the owners see the bill for a teardown of that engine. :drink::drink::drink:

James Dean

As Tony says, Fly Baby is one seater. However, I could rent a 152 for the trip. Local FBO rate is about $65/hour wet. It's about 300 Nm I'd enjoy some air to air.

The farm I'm at currently has about 4,000,000 birds.
Poor sod that has to do head count every morning to make sure none of those hens pulled a "Great Escape" overnight!

"1, 2, 3, ... darn it! Hold Still! 1, 2, 3 ..." :rofl:

We could arrange that. I can easily fly the DA-40 in the 60 knot range. The low wing, canopy, and visibility would make it ideal.

As Tony says, Fly Baby is one seater. However, I could rent a 152 for the trip.
We can use our Skyhawk for the second plane. I wondered if a low wing would be better, but it might not make a difference.

Edit...but then again a low wing might be better. :D

Last edited:
We can use our Skyhawk for the second plane. I wondered if a low wing would be better, but it might not make a difference.

Depends on the angles you want. Do what you can with what you have is my motto.

MM

If Tony and I ever get down there in the RV, we can use it as a photo plane as well. With that full glass canopy, we can get just about any angle you want. :)

Yeah the oil and fuel are heated and the genset is in an enclosed space. However, this was a standby genset and we lost power from our main service. In this case the genset must go from dead stop to making 75% rated power in about 9 seconds. It appears from the trend data on our monitoring computer that a main bearing failed. The oil temp went to the high limit in about 15 minutes and the safety shut the unit down. The factory is saying that at the cold temp the bearing was probably destroyed before the oil made it to the passage. Not the first time this would have happened.

It was a 1000kw kohler unit with a 37 liter 12 cylinder engine. In total we have 12 generators on our site from 250 to 1500 kw. We keep a spare unit on a trailer for this situation, so we didn't suffer too many problems from the failure.

That is, until the owners see the bill for a teardown of that engine. :drink::drink::drink:

James Dean

Yuck.. While I was working in our main shop on Friday, I overheard the mechanics talking about one of the generators they have as a stand-by in the chemical packaging/handling area. Apparently the oil wasn't flowing it it well enough, either and caused a couple of failed bearings in it. They filled the filter with warm oil to try and get SOMETHING flowing, but it was too late. Can't wait for the 'big guy' to get the bill for that one. *yikes*

If Tony and I ever get down there in the RV, we can use it as a photo plane as well. With that full glass canopy, we can get just about any angle you want. :)

yea im not sure how thats going to work, i may have to go home one of these weekends...

i know i know. we'll see. if i do, itll be the weekend of 24th.

Ha. That's cool. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then we'll get down there SOME time. Don't think the plane is going anywhere in the near future. :D

Ha. That's cool. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then we'll get down there SOME time. Don't think the plane is going anywhere in the near future. :D

sounds good. get it over here if your dad isnt using it. we could do some flying next week, 12th +.

Tony
-really broke

I'm cold just reading about the cold.... U can all visit south FLA anytime...I grew up in southern MN but I've certainly adapted to Florida weather. It gets down to 50 and I think thats cold, now thats messed up I know!!!

James Dean

Interesting, I usually rig emergency standby generators with an accumulator tank and a magnavalve that releases with the starter circuit to charge the sytem for quick prelube. Oh well, at least it wasn't your only set and you didn't lose everything. It's only money and he'll write it off, might even be covered by insurance...;) .

Interesting, I usually rig emergency standby generators with an accumulator tank and a magnavalve that releases with the starter circuit to charge the sytem for quick prelube. Oh well, at least it wasn't your only set and you didn't lose everything. It's only money and he'll write it off, might even be covered by insurance...;) .

That is the way it is supposed to work. The theory is that the internals were so cold that the prelube shot didn't make it there before the bearing got it's ass kicked.

James Dean

That is the way it is supposed to work. The theory is that the internals were so cold that the prelube shot didn't make it there before the bearing got it's ass kicked.

James Dean

FWIW, in our external 100% load data center units, we ran two-stage oil (one tank low viscosity warmed oil, one tank high viscosity warmed oil), and in the winter, Tank One is fired at the bearings, in the summer, Tank Two is fired. It works pretty well, but that set up cost us an additional $10,000...

Cheers,

-Andrew
old job had 2 2000 kW gen-sets for max load within 6 seconds

James Dean

Might be a worthwhile thing then to rig a circulating pump to run the heated oil through when the temp drops and there's a likely hood of needing the gen set. Keep it lubed and a bit warmer, kinda a "standing by to stand by" thing. Not exactly cheap to operate, but you'll only need it a couple dozen days a year. Might be cheap insurance, lot's cheaper than a crankshaft on a 3412.

And, let it be known that passing south through 39 degrees, 21.124 minutes north latitude, that I saw 20 degrees F for the first time in two weeks! :yes:

If it gets much warmer, I'll have to get naked. :rofl:

And, let it be known that passing south through 39 degrees, 21.124 minutes north latitude, that I saw 20 degrees F for the first time in two weeks! :yes:

If it gets much warmer, I'll have to get naked. :rofl:

It was 22F in MA today. I'm wearing a T-shirt and unlined jeans. It really is warm out.

Cheers,

-Andrew

It was 22F in MA today. I'm wearing a T-shirt and unlined jeans. It really is warm out.

Stopped in Winona, MS a bit ago. 52F. Jeans and T-shirt. Woohoo! :goofy:

I think I might call dispatch and ask if they can leave me down here for a while. ;)

Stopped in Winona, MS a bit ago. 52F. Jeans and T-shirt. Woohoo! :goofy:

...Which was quite a change from 6 days ago when I was between Fargo and Grand Forks, ND, it was -13F, and the truck was leaving a contrail! Unfortunately, I just dumped my camera onto the laptop and the pics didn't turn out at all. :(

Didn't read through the whole thread, but I flew my plane in December at -32F . It didn't seem to mind. It was much warmer up around 2000agl, actually was about ten above at that altitude. Common in central AK.

Worst part was fueling at that temp :eek:

Cabin heater keeps the cabin above freezing when its that cold that's about it. I fly in a military winter-weight flight suit and air force pilot mukluks, so I'm pretty toasty.

Back