Information on becoming an Aerial applicator AKA crop duster.

Levijohnson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Levijohnson
I am a professional Aerial Applicator and have been one for 10 years, before that I worked for an aerial applicating company for 3 years on the ground, so I have a combine experience of 13 years in the industry. If you have any questions are slight interested in becoming an aerial applicator I will be glad to answer your questions. Please no insults, I have a great career and make an above average salary at my career.

Thanks,

Levi

Any age limits on starting out?

Cost to get started/training?

My questions as well. How to get trained, how to get hired after training. Training costs. I'm an older pilot with substantial total time including tailwheel. Job opportunities in Eastern PA?

No Age limits as long as you're able to pass a 2nd class medical. You can go through Ag training and it's usually around 12-13k but truth be told it really isn't enough, there's a step learning curve. About PA, That state doesn't have a lot of fixed wing aerial applicators, I know there are quite a bit of helicopters. You would be better off going someone for a few months a year and returning back to PA to live.

The only Ag course now is Morris rigginz, riggins flying service out of madison south dakota, he is also an DPE. Ag flight, and eagle vista owners passed away recently.

Are there jobs? Most certainly, but you won't be making a lot of money until you get into a turbine aircraft, almost everyone starts in a small piston unless the operator is hoping for an insurance claim. I fly an airtactor 502 and 602 models.

No Age limits as long as you're able to pass a 2nd class medical. You can go through Ag training and it's usually around 12-13k but truth be told it really isn't enough, there's a step learning curve. About PA, That state doesn't have a lot of fixed wing aerial applicators, I know there are quite a bit of helicopters. You would be better off going someone for a few months a year and returning back to PA to live.

The only Ag course now is Morris rigginz, riggins flying service out of madison south dakota, he is also an DPE. Ag flight, and eagle vista owners passed away recently.

Are there jobs? Most certainly, but you won't be making a lot of money until you get into a turbine aircraft, almost everyone starts in a small piston unless the operator is hoping for an insurance claim. I fly an airtactor 502 and 602 models.
You don’t think it’s getting harder to find piston seats?

I wonder how we will train new pilots as the pistons continue to fade away.

A very nice and thoughtful offer, Levi. It will be interesting to follow this thread.

What does a typical ag pilot earn at the different stages of his career?

I landed at Madison, SD while on a cross country in a BT-13 a few years back. No reason other than it was along my route and about 3 hours from my last landing.
After fueling we took advantage of the FBO bathrooms and stretched out our sitting muscles.
In my part of the world there are no tail draggers for rent, but here there were Cubs, super Cubs, a C140 - it was like a twilight zone episode. One of the super Cubs had a spray rig on it.

While admiring the bulletin board i read about the training offered including on site DPE. It was then I turned my head slightly and realized that was the guy on the couch, and most everyone else was family (seemed like it anyway).

I chatted up a mechanic who was turning wrenches on an Ag Cat in the hangar by the fuel pumps. Nice guy.

Very cool, old, small town vibe. I would make a point of dropping in again if I were passing through.

Back