Info on Hangars in San Diego

Direct C51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Direct C51
I have the chance to move from Bakersfield, CA to San Diego and part of the decision is hangar options. Can anyone enlighten me on hangar availability and general pricing? I just have a Sonex so a small T Hangar would suffice, but a little space to work is nice. Power is a requirement. Price is very important. I pay $285 now for a large T shaped compartment in a large hangar building with power. I would be working at Montgomery Field KMYF, so that would be preferred, but any of the several airports nearby would be considered. I've tried searching online but there isn't much info. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

I'd call a local FBO or maintenance facility, at MYF or nearby. They should know a contact or three. You should be able to get some numbers from Air-Nav or similar sites.

I have the chance to move from Bakersfield, CA to San Diego and part of the decision is hangar options. Can anyone enlighten me on hangar availability and general pricing? I just have a Sonex so a small T Hangar would suffice, but a little space to work is nice. Power is a requirement. Price is very important. I pay $285 now for a large T shaped compartment in a large hangar building with power. I would be working at Montgomery Field KMYF, so that would be preferred, but any of the several airports nearby would be considered. I've tried searching online but there isn't much info. Any insight would be very much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure you're not going to get that price at MYF. I haven't had one for a few years but I think that the cheapest is through National Air College. When I had a hangar it was with Gibbs. Definitely more than that. If you are willing to travel I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper at Gillespie and Oceanside. There's an EAA chapter at Brown. However, OKB and SDM are are probably not worth the drive though. I can check around if you want

Someone posted in a FB group a few months ago that hangar rental prices at MYF were 500-1000 per month. Buying a hangar would be 40-60K plus monthly ground rental to the city of about 150.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to get that price at MYF. I haven't had one for a few years but I think that the cheapest is through National Air College. When I had a hangar it was with Gibbs. Definitely more than that. If you are willing to travel I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper at Gillespie and Oceanside.
Definitely more. An outdoor tie down for a single engine is about $200/month at Gibbs last I checked.

I don't know what the current wait is for a hangar at MYF, but the wait list was rather lengthly last I checked.

Since you have a SONEX, my best advice for getting a hangar is calling Gibbs and seeing if they can put you either in one of their corporate hangars or put you in touch with someone in a bigger T-hangar that might be willing to double up.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to get that price at MYF. I haven't had one for a few years but I think that the cheapest is through National Air College. When I had a hangar it was with Gibbs. Definitely more than that. If you are willing to travel I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper at Gillespie and Oceanside. There's an EAA chapter at Brown. However, OKB and SDM are are probably not worth the drive though. I can check around if you want
If you do check around, would you mind posting what you find here. I'm just curious to see how the area airports compare.

Thanks for the info guys. I know going in to it that the cost of everything is going to increase. That's the price you pay for living near the best beaches in CA with nearly perfect weather year round. But if I can't even get in to a hangar, or have to pay $1000 per month, it might not be worth it. I'll keep investigating and welcome any insight from those in the area.

Hangars are hideously expensive in the Southland. Everything from LA down to San Diego is going to start around $500 and go up from there.

Fearless Tower's suggestion is likely your best bet. Check with the FBOs at the different airports to see if you can rent space in their hangar. It will be slightly cheaper and you'll share a hangar with other aircraft, but at least it'll be indoors.

I'm not fully opposed to a shared hangar for the right price, but they are very unfriendly to experimental aviation. Usually they have no maintenance rules in those Hangars. A hangar is a place to tinker, modify, and maybe build my next airplane, as well as a place to keep my Sonex.

I was at Brown Field for a while I tied down at EAA 14's area and moved into an EAA 14 hangar when one became available. That was several years ago though.

I'm not fully opposed to a shared hangar for the right price, but they are very unfriendly to experimental aviation. Usually they have no maintenance rules in those Hangars. A hangar is a place to tinker, modify, and maybe build my next airplane, as well as a place to keep my Sonex.

Understood. It's kind of a hideously long drive from San Diego, but maybe check for hangar space in Chino (KCNO) or over at French Valley (F35). Possibly Ramona as well. I'm thinking the smaller, regional airports may be your next best bet.

if you think housing is expensive, wait til you see what hangars cost

Back