Info on flying Long Island

jabberwo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jabberwo
Hi,

I'm a low time pilot planning his first serious x-country. I'll be heading from the Boston area to Long Island, Republic in particular. I'll be flying in early on a summer Friday, and out late that afternoon.

Looking for tips from locals on flying in the busy airspace. My thoughts were to cross the Sound at Groton then head South-West to the southern side of the island and fly West over the beaches -- the wife should enjoy the view. Would locals recommend staying out over Fire Island or on the more mainland side of the bay? Thinking of staying out of the class C at KISP. Or do they not mind us little folk?

Is there a lot of banner flying traffic over the beaches? The chart shows jet traffic from 4-9,000 ft. I'll be under that, but is it an issue? Can I expect to receive VFR advisories the length Long Island?

Sorry for so many questions at once. Been thinking about this trip since the wife requested it a week ago. Have another month to plan it.

cheers,
Chuck

Last edited:
Welcome to the board!

Long Island is relatively easy *if* you stay in the corridors (out of the Bravos) and down low (under 4k).

I'd plan on not returning until the next morning, just in case. Afternoon thunderstorms along that route are likely that time. Even if there are no storms, afternoon summer haze can make the sound a bit of a challenge to a low time pilot.

Morning flights will be smoother for your passengers as well.

Last edited:
Crossing at Groton is fine, it keeps you close to land most of the way across the sound. You can go across the island and do the beach tour if you want but you can also just come down the north shore or the center of the island. As far as ISP, they are fine with you traversing their space, they are very used to it. They may keep you a little higher then you want but tell them your landing at Republic and they won't make you dive at the end. Biggest issue for working with the New York controllers is to pay attention to your radio work and don't make them call you twice. I've never had a problem with them in the dozen or so times I've flown up into their space. I would recommend you get flight following from home all the way down to republic as it's easier if your in the system already before you get to them.

NY is good with VFR flight following unless it's really jammed. If not already talking with PVD approach (I would try to get flight following early on after departing Boston), try LOVES sector (124.07) prior to crossing the shoreline. They will likely hand you off to BEADS (125.97) or Calverton sectors (118.00) over the LI sound.

The controllers are very accommodating and will give you recommended headings and altitudes to keep you out of the IFR flow.

Last edited:
As others have said, your route is fine. A few things. When coming back from the Boston area, providence approach always seems to drop me without a handoff to NY, so just be prepared in case you have the same luck. Also, if your not speaking to NY approach when flying over the south shore, just stay over the ocean, you will be out of their airspace. I would def recommend flight following because you have commercial traffic going Into ISP and JFK. Also, call FRG tower when over the cap tree monument, that's the typical reporting point when coming from the south. It's on the sectional. It gets very busy there, so keep your eyes open. Have fun

Or if following the North Shore of Long Island, a normal entry point for KFRG traffic is the Northport Stacks. Most everything has been covered already. I normally cross the LI Sound between Northport Stacks and Bridgeport, but that's just personal preference... you wouldn't get the nice LI beach tour if you crossed there.

Be aware of the high density of traffic near Captree Monument on the south shore and Northport Stacks on the north shore of LI... they're frequently used student pilot practice areas, from 1000-3500'.

Banner traffic is usually low... 500'-1000'. You shouldn't have an issue picking up flight following anywhere on your route of flight, and I'd highly recommend using it...but like Jason said, it can get busy and you have to listen close for radio calls, which doesn't give you much freedom to chat with your pax. When flying into FRG from the north with following, following is usually terminated about at the Stacks but I'm just a few miles from FRG's Delta at that point.

Also, don't be afraid of the Bravo. NY controllers, while fast talking, are helpful and courteous. Tomorrow I'm taking some friends up around NYC, in the Bravo most of the time, departing from FRG. If you're looking for some nice scenery on your way out, you could depart FRG to the south and follow the south shore toward NYC, and head up the Hudson before crossing over HPN and follow the CT south shore headed toward Boston.

Like someone else said, I always seem to be dropped from FF while over the north fork. I've never seen it too busy that way, so I usually wait until I'm a few miles east of Calverton before I call NY App. If they dont mention it, ask for a heads up near calverton since they do parachute jumping over there. Usually I stay along the coastline, avoiding the class C, but I've gone through as well, and advised them of my descent toward FRG. They've always been accommodating, and never had me change altitude or heading when in the northern part of the class C. If coming into FRG from the north (Northport stacks) or the south (Captree), watch out for training flights. It's always pretty busy in those areas.

Back