Info on Caldwell, Essex Co, NJ

grattonja

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saratoga driver
We have some friends who live, it turns out, a few miles from here (CDW). Probably will be visiting in September, after they move into their new house. A quick look at the sectional left me with some questions for all of you who know the airspace well.

So far, I have dealt with NY Center and Approach only to the north, not down in the actual Class B area. How well does the airspace work? CDW looks pretty close to two other Class D areas, and seems to have lots of approaches that fly through that airspace. Coming from the Southwest (S37), is a VFR arrival reasonable, or will I be wanting to file and fly IFR?

What is the airport itself like, and the FBO? Member comments on AOPA seem to be all over the board. The folks on Airnav seem to like them.

Any assistance from you NY airspace experts will be greatly appreciated.

Jim G

Jim,

The only thing I know about Essex County is that is where JFK Jr. launched on his last flight. Sorry.

Anthony said:
Jim,

The only thing I know about Essex County is that is where JFK Jr. launched on his last flight. Sorry.

I know only three more details:

One of those 94th Aero Squadron restaurants on the west side of the FBO.

FBO was not impressive; not offensive, just not impressive. Couldn't get anyone to give me the time of day.

ATC wanted me descending and under the other overlying airspace(s).

I based a couple of different aircraft there over several years. I used to fly CDW-LNS-CDW almost weekly as I lived in NJ and worked in the Lancaster area.

VFR arrivals are no problem. Stay under the class B and approach from the West ( to avoid Morristown-MMU just South of CDW, be aware of Lincoln Park-N07 just North). This approach gives you the most time to listen in to CDW tower to judge how crowded the pattern is and landing direction. There is a lake 6 miles west of CDW with a small island in it. The lake is Boonton Reservoir. It's easy to spot. Call in from over Boonton Reservoir. If you approach IFR, NY will keep you in class B until you're quite close to CDW. Generally they've brought me in over Morristown and handed me off late to CDW. On more than one occassion an ifr trip has resulted in much vectoring to avoid other traffic and integrate into the pattern. Not a lot of fun on a very busy NY frequency.

There are ifr approaches into Teterboro-TEB and Morristown-MMU that pass through the airspace just west of CDW. Just more traffic to look for. I don't recall the altitude of crossing traffic.

CDW tower much prefers runway 4/22 over 9/27. Quite often they'll have departures on 27 and landing on 22 as the wind is often from the southwest. It's right traffic for 22 and 27, left traffic for 4 and 9.

Mac Dan, fbo is fairly good. I've always been satisfied. Get a rental car. There's not much in the way of public transportation there and taxis are slow to arrive and expensive.

Enjoy your trip.

If you have the time and weather is good fly up the corridor. Pass the GW bridge, continue north to the Alpine towers on the left, turn left and proceed to CDW. Just keep an eye out for departures to TEB, but you will be clear of their Delta.

You can also call Newark Tower (EWR) on 127.85 if you'd rather fly the corridor above 1100 feet. They will clear you thru Bravo and hand you off to LGA and prolly get you to CDW more directly.

Back