Inexpensive Web Hosting??

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Looking for a decent inexpensive web/domain hosting site. Dad is currently using gate.com for the RV build site, but I've tried installing Gallery2 on the site and the way they have things set up is FUBAR (no permissions, no shell access, FTP is dropping me every 5 mins, etc.)

Anywho.. I'd like to find somewhere that I can use to setup my own domain/site that I can use to tinker with. I'm currently BACK in school and will be getting back into M.I.S. stuff pretty soon - a site of my own that I can use to get my feet wet beforehand would be nice.

Any suggestions on where to go? I've looked at powweb.com. Seems pretty decent price w/ lots of space + bandwidth, subdomains, lots of MySQL DB's.

GoDaddy has virtual private servers. Not "cheap cheap", but full shell/linux access.

NOOOO!! GoDaddy will turn off your site or domain with no notice.

Is Media Temple cheap enough? http://www.mediatemple.com

A Grid Server, which is a cluster is $20 a month.

Wow.. That's one heckuva setup. Talk about redundancy! It's a bit more beef than what I need right now, though. Basically I'll just be using it for my wife and I to host pictures and me to play with php, asp, in the background. I'm guessing it will be hard to find a place that will let me get deep into Linux/Unix without paying an arm and leg.

Of course, once I have my epiphany on how to make a fortune online, I'll need somewhere to host all the hits I'll be getting. ;)

Dot5 hosting, my friend. Cheap as hell, and I've never had a single problem. There are plenty of people that complain about downtimes, but in over 2 years with them, I've never had a single downtime.

I think I pay like $39 a year and my domain name was free, and I get a whole bunch of bandwidth and server space.

get a static IP address and host it inhouse.

Ugh - and constantly have the computer running? Sure, you have more control, but man, I'd hate to restart the computer when somone is trying to use your website....

Ugh - and constantly have the computer running? Sure, you have more control, but man, I'd hate to restart the computer when somone is trying to use your website....

Why restart? Only time I ever have to restart is when the power goes out - at least with the work servers.

That would be ideal setup. Unfortunately I had to give all my server boxes back when I quit my internship. :( You can definitely learn a lot more by having the box right there at your fingertips, but I doubt my wife would go for me putting together another box in the house right now.

Unless you're on SBC DSL or a CLEC that uses their lines. I run a server at the house (have for years)... it's OK, but had some trouble with Covad (CLEC) that was SBC line problems, then moved to SBC for the full service and had some downtime due to their main RBACK router. Got that resolved with the assistance of our corporate contact.

Uptime was pretty good until this winter. A couple of down periods, while I was out of town, and while I was trying to seal a job deal pushed me to set up a virtual server through GoDaddy as a secondary mail host (scream if you will, Mike, but the uptime's been great, the cost has been acceptable, it only took 24 hours to get set up (saving my email bacon) and I have it backed up with the home server that's still on static IP).

The biggest problem with SBC on the static IPs was the support. "I'm sorry sir, we don't provide any support to Linux/Unix"... It's not a server problem, your router is dropping packets... "Sir, please install our software and Yahoo on a windows box and then we'll talk to you." Ugh. Please give me second level tech support. "Sorry sir, we can't provide that number". OK, I'll talk to the corporate sales/support contact.

I live in the same neighborhood as Ed Whittaker.

Back