Indy 500

The general public pays virtually no attention whatsoever to NHRA. Unfortunately.
I think it's a regional thing. NASCAR got a bit of a bump for having content available at a time when there was a hole (they really got their national exposure when ESPN and the other networks were scrambling for something to put on when the baseball strike was going on).

NASCAR = South, NHRA = California, Indy = Midwest. Of course the Indy race itself got way more exposure than the underlying series. Neither CART or IRL was really able to leverage that fame into something really national (and the petty squabbling between USAC/George Family/CART didn't help any). At least the family fiefdoms (France and the other dynasties) banded together pretty tightly.

I was a big fan of the woman drivers in all series. I remember following Shirley Muldowney and Janet Guthrie in the days when Sports Illustrated was really the way you got your news on such things. There definitely was more presence of women over the years in NHRA than in the Indy or NASCAR ranks. Until Danica showed up on the Cup circuit, we had a few at the second tier. Patty Moise has the most starts of any woman but never managed to get a decent cup ride.

As a kid, every year we always listened to the Indy 500 on the radio. Always wanted to see it live, never did. Haven't watched an entire Indy race for many many years, and yesterday I decided it was time to leave the hangar, go home, and sit down to watch a whole race.

The race had just started when I turned it on, and I only recognized a few of the drivers names, but couldn't wait for Danica's final crash. I fell asleep for the first time during one of the dozens of commercial breaks, then woke up during another commercial break. I thought I'd probably missed the end of the race. Then I fell asleep during another commercial break, and woke up right after the race had ended. What a disappointment. I guess I should have recorded it so I could skip the commercials?

It's almost as bad as Nascar has come to be, commercialized to beyond stupidity. The announcers always saying the same old crap about the same old crap, the fake sounds of air ratchets, tire squeals, engine noises, on and on. Billion dollar race teams always dominating everything. B.S. drivers spewing the same old crap about the same old crap. Reminds me of NASA. The luster is gone. I doubt I'll ever try to watch another one.
Agreed. The number of commercials this year was outrageous.

Back