Independence Airlines filed Chapter 11 this morning

well that certainly sucks. I liked the business model that Independance Air was using.

I guess it was inevitable tho.

everytime an airline implodes i have to ask if the pilot career thing is a good idea, its a shame when you love something so much that you don't care

Wednesday, January 5, 2005

Airline Market Shake-Out

Posted by James Joyner at 12:56
It looks like the oversupply of inefficient, poorly managed air carriers may be starting to sort itself out, if three stories in today's Washington Post are any indication.

Independence Air Will Eliminate Some Flights
In a cost-cutting move, Independence Air plans to eliminate 150 of its 560 daily flights -- most in and out of Dulles International Airport -- at the end of this month. The financially troubled carrier will continue to offer flights to each of the 38 cities it serves from its Dulles hub but the frequency will be scaled back in many cases, said Rick DeLisi, the airline's spokesman. Flights to Florida from Charleston, S.C., Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C., and Huntsville, Ala., will be eliminated. "We are better balancing our system-wide capacity with our expectations for customer demand," DeLisi said. "We are working on maximizing revenue and reducing overall costs."
The cuts mean Independence will reduce daily service from Dulles to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, for example, from 11 daily flights this month to six in February. And it will offer seven, instead of 10, daily flights from Dulles to Pittsburgh.
Since its launch last June, Independence, which primarily uses 50-seat regional jets, has struggled with high fuel prices and stiff competition from larger, more established airlines. Flyi Inc., Independence's parent, has said it will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection if it cannot renegotiate $83 million in aircraft lease payments, due this month. Flyi has won some concessions from creditors.

Independance is a bit more than one year old yet in that time they've cut over one quarter of their flights and have filed for Chap 11. The quote shown in bold was made in January, when the airline was 6 months old. That is a little too soon to be making major adjustments to match expectations. Someone didn't do their homework. How much of this do you think they will blame on high fuel prices?

Last edited:
Back